The Plug (formerly Utopia)

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate The Plug (formerly Utopia)

I like The Plug
90%
I don't like The Plug
10%

Total votes: 269

worldcitizen1723

Re: Utopia

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

notsofasteddie wrote: Fri 11th May 2018 07:19 pm
worldcitizen1723 wrote: Fri 11th May 2018 05:27 pm
kalima wrote: Fri 11th May 2018 10:55 am so am I right in thinking it reopens today as the plug ?
wait, I'm confused. I thought Utopia had to close due to it's location. How could another shop reopen at that same location?
Update, December 5, 2016

One day we may properly edit and re-wwrite this article, but for now here’s the latest on Amsterdam’s coffeeshops.

After much legal wrangling, a number of coffeeshops originally scheduled to close in January 2016 now are forced to close by January 1, 2017.

The shops closing are: High Time, Lucifera in West, Space Mountain, Today, De Graal, De Kroon 3, Biba, and Mellow Yellow.

Six shops are ‘temporarily’ allowed to stay open because the school they are ‘too close to’ — the Amsterdamsche School at Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal — is going to move elsewhere.

If no other school will settle in the monumental buidling, Resin, Mediterrané, Utopia, De Kroon 2, De Kuil and El Guapo can remain in business.

closed coffeeshops

I think the fact that the school moved meant that they no longer have to close since they are now outside the 250 meters boundary!
Thanks eddie!

WLow

Post by WLow »

Citral dropped in price but there is no more discount :lol:

Barber Bud hash must be the Barbara, think it's the first time i see it on a shop menu.
choppermike

Post by choppermike »

Fixitbudz video on IG features top ACD'er sitting outside at Plug opening :mrgreen:
.. in the avoid curve :mrgreen:
Pierre von Mondragon

Post by Pierre von Mondragon »

Beat me to it, but regardless..

wanted Cherry Cookies, but only dust left, so got a g of Tangelo and one of the OG Ice, went to Batavia to try them, so tasting notes spoiled by hefe, I'm quite wrecked though.

Verdict, 1st day is too soon to tell, but menu currently not hugely better than Utopia was, less space, and darker look. I'm sure it'll develop.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

My verdict (comparing the former):

Better weed, more wankers. /nuff said

Talking clientele that is**
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Give it time...

Have they changed the decor much?
Pierre von Mondragon

KeyMonCha wrote: Sun 13th May 2018 02:49 am Give it time...

Utterly, the whole feng shui! Dark instead of light, and oriented on a 90 degree shift where by the counter faces the door.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Pierre von Mondragon wrote: Sun 13th May 2018 11:36 am
KeyMonCha wrote: Sun 13th May 2018 02:49 am Give it time...

Utterly, the whole feng shui! Dark instead of light, and oriented on a 90 degree shift where by the counter faces the door.

Hmmm... Darker isn't always negative, but someone mentioned that the Plug (BCN) is quite "gangsta"... Would that moniker adequately describe the new Utopia interior? ...I'm still going to try and reserve judgement until i actually visit in person, but i must say, i'm not exactly excited by the prospect.

Pierre von Mondragon

Well, the wallpaper is in fake alligator skin effect,and the lighting is like the drug den in Predator 2 or like another 80s film idea of such, sooo...

The size of the place, combined with the super busy status it will have for the forseeable future, doesn't suggest it will be the greatest hang about for ages kind of CS vibe, at least until or if they buy the restaurant next door, or knock through or extend within the building, it will be a bit cramped and roasting in the summer. Early days, for real, but I think a very different ambience is permanent.

The Tangelo I had was very nice and citrusy, and the flower menu, is definitely worth popping in for on a regular basis, hopefully the shish menu will scale up a bit

Summary; Sci Fi Buy & Fly...
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Thanks Pierre...

...Hopefully, the menu will still be fairly consistent regarding quality... I don't know if they're going to keep their normal buying practices, or if the Plug will slowly gather it's own wholesalers... Either way, let's hope Utopia remains a viable shop.

Going to give it a chance in a couple of months, so maybe things will have settled down by then, and i can get an idea of where they're going with this "new" coffeeshop. 🤞
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Well, remains to be seen - but the cafe where alcohol will be served, is supposed to be open before month's end so we'll see.

I've heard/am hoping that they will try to emulate some more of the ubiquitous elements of the Spanish association vibe, decor, amenities, etc. - playstations, big screen tvs, snacks, couches and a maybe a sasquash-rosin press to boot could really do that, and be a game-changer on the scene.
kalima

Post by kalima »

Popped in first thing, unfortunately the coffee machine hasn’t been delivered😳, straight of the plane and no coffee , I think he said the machine comes tomorrow. As everyone says, it is darker inside and a very different vibe. As it was first thing, we went for a sativa, the Amnesia looked and smelt far better than the chitral, which’s smelt very different to last time here,
Nice first smoke of the day
Didn’t check the high end weed, as we wanted a lighter start to day , but wasn’t blown away looking at the tubes.
BT was friendly, I will say that had a younger vibe to it , and bad music 😊
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

New menu for Utopia The Plug dated May 14, 2018. Thanks to SuperVM.

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/Utopia/M ... opia.html

Enjoy
FlyByNite
deebzy75

Post by deebzy75 »

i still dont understand why they had to take over utopia as there are plenty of shit shops they could have.green planet round the corner is a nice space...but shit as is meditaranee...must have been an offer they couldnt refuse :mrgreen: :roll:
sparkAblunt

Post by sparkAblunt »

deebzy75 wrote: Wed 16th May 2018 07:37 pm i still dont understand why they had to take over utopia as there are plenty of shit shops they could have.green planet round the corner is a nice space...but shit as is meditaranee...must have been an offer they couldnt refuse :mrgreen: :roll:
Might be because of it's popularity(compared to other coffeshops) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: