Popeye

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Do you like Popeye

I like Popeye
80%
I don't like Popeye
20%

Total votes: 124

Sailor59

Re: Popeye

Post by Sailor59 »

Are their Pink kush and top shelf Hash worth the 17 e a gram?
No.

A mate has a small grow going on and he produces top quality weed four or five times a year. Six plants max. He tells me he averages 250-300 grams of dried and cured weed per grow. Sometimes less but hardly ever more. His electricity bill for the entire grow is about £80, consumables and expenses about the same. So less than £200 per crop. UK shite weed is about 10 a gram or more so 250g works out at about £1.25 per gram or 1.5 euros.

The big producers have economy of scale so 17e is frankly taking the piss. Sure shop owners have overheads like everyone but a mark up of Christ knows what percentage is well out of order. Take the same weed to a provincial town and it will be 10e or 12e at the most.

It's the penalty for staying in a beautiful city.

Matroos negenenvijftig
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

Loofimax wrote:It is my favourite.

@marok21
What are your favourites CS ?
1. Voyagers (they have great weed and friendly staff)
2. Dampkring (the original one... they have great hash)
3. Utopia (good weed and the friendliest staff)
4. De Graal (nice hash and a good location to chill)

there are a few other very good shops... but these 4 Shops I visit
nearly every trip for sure 8)
Loofimax

Post by Loofimax »

I know the Dampkring, nice shop but overcrowded, that's why I go to Dampkring 2.

THe others I just know their name never tried
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

@Loofimax

I sent u a private message about that topic
Loofimax

Post by Loofimax »

@MAROK21
ok I read it
thx

I think this time I will go the De Graal
bakedlays

Post by bakedlays »

I tried their AK-47 here last week, and loved it. Strong, euphoric.

On my first trip to Amsterdam in 1997, the AK was the very first coffee shop weed I ever tasted. I saw it on the menu and got it for old time's sake. Back then it made my world melt... those days are long gone, but it was still potent and fantastic.

The coffee shop itself is airy and bright if you can get a seat up stairs. Frenetic atmosphere w/ a kitchen.

Their AK was in the cheaper range, and the servers were quite friendly and excited to tend to us.
French Smoker

Post by French Smoker »

During my last visit to Amsterdam, I bought some Pink Kush in Green Place coffeshop (16 € per gram), this is probably the best weed I've smoked.
A very powerful smell, great taste, very strong, fucking amazing !
I want it again, but the only coffeshop I'm sure to find is the Popeye.
I read some pretty bad reviews about the Pink Kush in Popeye, especially about the price, but I don't care about the price. So I wanted to know if it's a good weed or if I can find better in this coffeeshop? (Mango Haze, Aladin's Chocolate, Super Silver Haze ...) ?
Colino

Post by Colino »

French Smoker wrote:During my last visit to Amsterdam, I bought some Pink Kush in Green Place coffeshop (16 € per gram), this is probably the best weed I've smoked.
A very powerful smell, great taste, very strong, fucking amazing !
I want it again, but the only coffeshop I'm sure to find is the Popeye.
I read some pretty bad reviews about the Pink Kush in Popeye, especially about the price, but I don't care about the price. So I wanted to know if it's a good weed or if I can find better in this coffeeshop? (Mango Haze, Aladin's Chocolate, Super Silver Haze ...) ?
in my experience nothing here was worth the price so never went back in the last 3 years
Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph »

I haven't bought anything from here since I was fooled by the old Vanilla Kush trick back in like 2010. :oops: Needless to say, that bud wasn't worth 17E a gram, neither was his rude service. He also stared out both me and my smoking buddy the whole time we were in there aswell, if I recall correctly. I believe it was the owner dude I'm referring too :roll: :?

Never been back since. Although have seen the odd good post here about the place though (but, in between all the posts calling it crap :wink: :lol: ).
zootdog

Post by zootdog »

Xenomorph wrote:I haven't bought anything from here since I was fooled by the old Vanilla Kush trick back in like 2010. :oops: Needless to say, that bud wasn't worth 17E a gram, neither was his rude service. He also stared out both me and my smoking buddy the whole time we were in there aswell, if I recall correctly. I believe it was the owner dude I'm referring too :roll: :?

Never been back since. Although have seen the odd good post here about the place though (but, in between all the posts calling it crap :wink: :lol: ).

ahh whats the old vanilla kush trick? i must have been fooled. i was shocked at how much that kush smelt literally like vannila ice cream. i was slightly suprissed at how bad it tasted tho. gonna guess now that its sprayed to smell like that?
backstraped
Sheska

Post by Sheska »

zootdog wrote:ahh whats the old vanilla kush trick? i must have been fooled. i was shocked at how much that kush smelt literally like vannila ice cream. i was slightly suprissed at how bad it tasted tho. gonna guess now that its sprayed to smell like that?
Probably a few drops of vanilla extract in the tub that rubs off on the nugs. It's so sad that this has been going on for so long. Just the fact that a shop is basically allowed to spike/spray/whatever a product that's intended to be smoked is ridiculous and pisses me off to no end.
Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph »

Sorry Zootdog for the late reply, just saw your question. :oops:

Yea, Sheska is completely correct. :wink: He/She/They basically add vanilla extract to the tub/bud to enhance the smell (and to try and justify the ridiculous price they ask). Then you buy it, it doesn't burn clean, tastes like shit and doesn't hit you at all. :roll: :cry:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did similar with their Strawberry Kush which pops up from time to time, but as I said I haven't been back in since so can't really say. :?:

I suppose this shop may deserve another chance given it's location. :? But at the same time with Voyagers, Utopia, Paradox,137 to mention a few Great coffeeshops so close to this one, there is no real need. Especially with the posts referring to these practices still happening recently. :evil: I'll wait for some positive reviews on here before venturing there again.
Loofimax

Post by Loofimax »

I am totally surprise to read all these bad reports on Popeye.
I went there around 5 times and was just a bit disapointing by their Bubblegum.

By memories, I remembered to Have tried their Jack H, G13 H.
Hatton420

Post by Hatton420 »

I was here last Monday. The staff seem very polite but the Chocolate Kush & Bubblegum where average high and not the best tasting. The Popeye Cream Hash was OK but a tad overpriced compared to other Hashes on the Menu. I asked for the use of a Pipe or a Bong but they informed me they don't have them ..

The deco is out-dated but at the same time kinda cosy. I didn't try the food nor coffee but cold drinks seemed competitively priced.
westhowejohnny

Post by westhowejohnny »

The breakfast is great in this coffeeshop and people are really nice and friendly. i dont rate as being one of my favourites to get weed from but from what i have tried its ok