Hill Street Blues (on Warmoesstraat)

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

What do you reckon to Hill Street Blues?

I Like It
67%
It's Alright
27%
I Don't Like It
7%

Total votes: 147

JSB

Hill Street Blues (on Warmoesstraat)

Post by JSB »

ACD Page: Hill Street Blues

As this was the 1st of the 4 new coffeeshops I visited on my last visit to Ver Dam, I thought it high time there was an opinion poll. HSB is a bit of a mixed bag for me. On the plus side, it's a lot more spacious than you'd think, it was never busy in the mornings, & of course, it's situated on the best street in Amsterdam bar none! The menu is decent aswell, they had some good -priced hash & a pretty good range of ready rolled joints.

Not wanting to dwell on the negatives, but there's the obvious one: the fact that the decor in HSB looks like a gents toilet in the inner-cities! All the graffiti just doesn't scream out to me "Comfortable clean coffeeshop", & to be honest I think the whole place needs completely redecorating. The staff were pleasant enough, but didn't seem particularly happy to be at work that day for whatever reason. I must say the dealer was very helpful though, when I wanted some Afghan hash he said he didn't have any, but to come back in 15 minutes as they would have had a delivery by then. It was more like an hour when I returned, but true to his word, the HSB dealer had the Afghan for me.

So all-in-all, Hill Street Blues was a good place to go & I'm glad I finally went. Seems strange that for a guy who loves Warmoesstraat as much as I do, it took 4 visits to actually go into HSB (& the Coin). Staying at the Greenhouse Effect hotel the past 2 trips to Amsterdam means you'd think HSB would be an obvious stop, given that it's slap bang across from the GHE coffeeshop & bar (& next door to some of the GHE Hotel's rooms, inc. the one we stayed in, Dutch Touch).

Anyway, don't wanna go on too much about this as I'm attempting to save all the good stuff for the upcoming travelogue! What do other ACD forum members think of Hill Street Blues?...

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

I agree, HSB is a cracking shop.
Cider on draught as well, very cheap, excellent. Also loved the Hill street special 8)
Only problem we had was when we visited in November it was bloody freezing and we were sat on the comfy couch at the back of the shop, the barmaid kept insisting on keeping the back windows open to let the smoke out :shock: I was trying my best not to breathe out but eventually had to give in :lol:

Looking forward to the Travelogue JSB

John
Szyslack

Post by Szyslack »

bigjohn wrote:I agree, HSB is a cracking shop... ...Also loved the Hill street special 8)
Nuff said :D
Tommy G

Post by Tommy G »

Went in HSB for the first time on Tuesday. I must admit this shop never really appealed 2 me before. It was morning time and wasn`t really busy, plenty of seats, a good menu with some good deals, all in all a nice place, would go back again.
johnjay

Post by johnjay »

The graffiti decor is definitely a turn-off, but they serve alcohol and sell various THC-laced edibles. The latter redeems this shop IMO.
smoker_moby

Weed or Beer?

Post by smoker_moby »

Does any1 know if hill street are going to stop selling smoke or beer? I would of thought that they would still sell beer and then be a smoker friendly bar due to the size of the place??

Does any1 else agree?

Cheers

Counting down the days 40 to go!
Redeye

Re: Weed or Beer?

Post by Redeye »

smoker_moby wrote:Does any1 know if hill street are going to stop selling smoke or beer? I would of thought that they would still sell beer and then be a smoker friendly bar due to the size of the place??

Does any1 else agree?

Cheers

Counting down the days 40 to go!
I wouldnt be suprised if they did ditch the weed...you get the impression its more of bar. Lots of CS's round that area too!
You missed it right?
sirphobose

Post by sirphobose »

must say the graffiti makes it looks like it's been transported from some seventies gang movie but i quite liked it, cider on draft is always good and i scored some lovely lebanese hash from there, thumbs up all round!
"Change down, man. Find your neutral space."
bluenote

Post by bluenote »

I guess I'm in the minority here. I really didn't care for the place. POUNDING technoise at ear shattering volume. Maybe I'm just too old, but I'll pass on HSB.
user54321

Post by user54321 »

bluenote wrote:I guess I'm in the minority here. I really didn't care for the place. POUNDING technoise at ear shattering volume. Maybe I'm just too old, but I'll pass on HSB.
We were in there quite a bit recently and never found it to be too noisy, but then we weren't there over a weekend so it was probably a bit a quieter... i like the place :-)
ollsta1

Post by ollsta1 »

BIG UP HILLS T BLUES C/S .Love this place, was in there everyday on our trip to the dam back in nov 07.Cheap prices on the drinks compared other C/S's in dam. Easily enough room everytime to seat 7 of us. The weed I liked best was the hill st spec Indica/sativa 50/50 nice uplifting smoke.
t0mc82

hill street blues

Post by t0mc82 »

this was a really strange cafe but in a gud way, when u first go in it looks really small but with a large bar n weed counter but once u get downstairs its a large smokin area( coverd in graffiti ) it looks really gud and has sum large tables with cool chairs n at the back of the room there is a door that opens out onto one of the canals which looks really gud after a few biftas. they make a really nice hot chocolate, a nice big glass with cream n choc flakes for only 2.10 euros, the staff dont always seem happy 2make them but at that price u can afford 2giv a little tip. apart from that the staff wer really friendly. we only visited durin the day so not sure what the nites r like
Dave J

Post by Dave J »

Probably my faverate coffeeshop of the lot, and I've been in about 30-35 of them over the years. Sure, we all have different ideas of what you would like and or expect your ideal coffeeshop to be like. Meaning 1 persons perfect is another persons ok or $hite etc.

But for me it has everything, decor you are free to add to, cheap drinks, toilets that seem scary when stoned, good view from the front window, perfect view from the rear window over the Damrak.

The music is not always my cup of tea, but for the best part ok. Staff have always been friendly and willing to talk to you unless busy of cause. Find it difficult to find many faults with the place. Except it can get to busy on some nights.
DrGonzo

Post by DrGonzo »

I found the service slow and the staff sullen, I also found the music to loud....... but the Nepal hash I had there wasn't bad at all.
When the going gets weird, the weird get going!
Dave J

Post by Dave J »

They also seem to do a decent choice of pre-rolled as I recall. Not that I'd ever bother with them, would sooner roll an even poorer joint when wrecked than buy a pre-rolled lol. But certainly a decent choice for those who are not to bothered about them!.