Swiss National Bank and the Euro

geekymonkey

Swiss National Bank and the Euro

Post by geekymonkey »

Huge move by the Swiss National Bank to set a very generous floor for the CHF to EUR before Germany's big decision. Any guesses how its going to go?

I'm trying to be happy that the Swiss banking system is trying to bolster the euro rather than be bummed that euro's just became 10% more expensive. Also, of course, this is critical for Swiss export and manufacturing, which is a relief, because we really can't eat all this cheese and wear all these watches by ourselves.

Because life is too short to smoke bad bud.
Marco

Re: Swiss National Bank and the Euro

Post by Marco »

geekymonkey wrote:Huge move by the Swiss National Bank to set a very generous floor for the CHF to EUR before Germany's big decision. Any guesses how its going to go?

I'm trying to be happy that the Swiss banking system is trying to bolster the euro rather than be bummed that euro's just became 10% more expensive. Also, of course, this is critical for Swiss export and manufacturing, which is a relief, because we really can't eat all this cheese and wear all these watches by ourselves.
Are you Swiss? Heard lots of complaints about the CHF while there last week.
geekymonkey

Post by geekymonkey »

I'm American by birth, gypsy by choice, but I've lived in Switzerland for a few years now.

The CHF's sudden sharp rise against the USD and the EUR has been wreaking havoc on business here, but had been working great for us. (Get paid in CHF, have a few financial obligations in USD, like to travel in the Euro zone.)

I'm a bit torn on my feelings on the whole thing, glad I'm not playing in the financial markets now, that's for sure. My mr and I will be back in the town at the end of the month, and we're staying out in the west (your area too right?) We should all get together for a smoke.

Where were you in Switzerland? I hope you had a nice time.
dr'gonzo

Post by dr'gonzo »

geekymonkey wrote:Huge move by the Swiss National Bank to set a very generous floor for the CHF to EUR before Germany's big decision. Any guesses how its going to go?

SMB have pegged the CHF against the euro (1.20).

Sell bunds, sell gold, buy european equities.
Marco

Post by Marco »

geekymonkey wrote:I'm American by birth, gypsy by choice, but I've lived in Switzerland for a few years now.

The CHF's sudden sharp rise against the USD and the EUR has been wreaking havoc on business here, but had been working great for us. (Get paid in CHF, have a few financial obligations in USD, like to travel in the Euro zone.)

I'm a bit torn on my feelings on the whole thing, glad I'm not playing in the financial markets now, that's for sure. My mr and I will be back in the town at the end of the month, and we're staying out in the west (your area too right?) We should all get together for a smoke.

Where were you in Switzerland? I hope you had a nice time.
Was visiting family there, had a wonderful time. Check your PMs....
geekymonkey

Post by geekymonkey »

back at you!
dr'gonzo

Post by dr'gonzo »

dr'gonzo wrote:

SMB have pegged the CHF against the euro (1.20).

Sell bunds, sell gold, buy european equities.
You should be laughing.