does anyone know or remember this guy?

Anything else.

Moderator: Balou

elasticband

does anyone know or remember this guy?

Post by elasticband »

the bald dude.

They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority
gapie

Re: does anyone know or remember this guy?

Post by gapie »

huh??
GetHigh,DoStuff&Dont give a FUCK!
elasticband

Post by elasticband »

I read a story which may or may not have been a work of fiction and it featured questions around this man/character in Amsterdam.

It got me intrigued so thought i'd ask here. the story goes back to 2011, so a few years ago now.

I do apologies for the gigantic pictures, I should probably resize them.....
They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority
elasticband

Post by elasticband »

taken from reddit ( I search reddit for specific words every other day, Amsterdam, being one of them)
June 2011 and My wife and I are on our honeymoon, day 4 after flying from Melbourne to Rome and we arrive in Amsterdam. We trek from the station to our accommodation on foot with our luggage in tow, after about 20 minutes we arrive at our houseboat.
All I want is a shower, after 10 minutes of cold water running I check the hot water service. Not lit, so I light it. 2 minutes of hot water then back to cold. I ring the owner/caretaker and he apologises sincerely and promises the gas bottle will be replaced later that evening. We explore the houseboat then decide we should rest a while before venturing out. Goldmember is on TV and there's no way I can pass up watching that film on my first day in The Netherlands. It is followed by border patrol Australia, after watching Mcleod's Daughters dubbed into Italian in Rome I'm willing to skip this novelty as it's just subtitled in Dutch.
We go out, hit the coffee shop, find closest free Wi-Fi and decide we'll take food back to the boat and chill for our first night. By the time we get back another houseboat has appeared next door to ours, there is now a clothesline running from our boat to our neighbours. Cool. We also have hot running water. We have a lovely evening and then realise it's actually 10pm, and still light outside. This is after leaving Geelong in June when it's dark by 5.30. Even cooler.
Day 2 and we want to go to the Rijksmuseum and maybe a market. My wife and I have just spent 2 full days walking around Rome and we're pretty exhausted. I convince her to walk back into the station and we'll use public transport from there, I've found a museum on the way that is more to my taste. We take an alternate route back and I steer us towards the Sex Museum. It's cheap entry and was totally worth the price of admission!
I then stumble upon vintage videogame Mecca, they have everything I've ever dreamed of and it's all the same region as Australia. Heaven. I make fast friends with the staff and get hooked up with a great discount. On to the station across the road.
We stroll around and spot an information kiosk, we don't have a timetable or any idea what we're doing so this seems like a great place to start. I decide to stop and roll a cigarette before we head in and sit on a concrete barrier outside while my wife goes to get a timetable.
I wish I hadn't.
A British man approaches me and asks for a light. He's wearing an addidas tracksuit with sunglasses, maybe 5"6 and really tanned. I oblige and engage in conversation with him, he's speaking the first fluent English that I've heard in almost a week and it was kinda refreshing. We talk about our disdain for establishment and he enlightens me on the "heavy puritanical Christian" leadership in Britain. He's homeless but I wouldn't have picked it, he's clean, intelligent and didn't ask me for a ciggie. Apparently he lives in Amsterdam now because his situation at home was so shitty. He says something about his ideals not being accepted, almost a punk ethos, he just doesn't fit their mould.
My wife returns and he introduces himself "Stuart (Stewart?), welcome to Amsterdam." He tells us what tram to catch to get to the museum but suggests it's a relatively short walk and he's up for it if we want him to give us a little tour of the city on the way there. Why not.
He takes us through main streets while occasionally taking us to some hidden gems down side streets on the way. First is a really cool "coffee shop" to get in the right frame of mind for me to go to a fine art museum. Nuf said. He says to go hang upstairs and he'll order and meet us up there, we head up. As he emerges at the top of the stairs a group of 3 girls and a guy immediately lock eyes on him. Facial expressions were far from positive. As soon as he's clear of the stairs they immediately leave. He heckles them in Dutch as they wander past and says "everyone knows me round here."
They look fairly "straight" and I don't think anything of it. He's probably asked for money or maybe even tried to rip them off. I'm confident that I can take this guy if it comes down to it so my only thought is to stay on main roads. Everyone gets the benefit of the doubt with me until I have reason to think otherwise.
Now we're stoned and physically exhausted, we resume our quest for fine art. Next stop is a cool little shop with original art for sale, Nintendo novelty stuff, Japanese robot toys and heaps of hippie shit.
He is asked to leave the premises by the owner. Homeless people don't have money, therefore they are in your shop to steal right? This is where I should have clicked. Something 'aint right with this. My benefit of the doubt has turned into naivety.
My wife makes her purchase and we rejoin him outside. I ask what that was all about, "I've got a criminal record in the UK from 10 years ago and some people just can't let go" he tells us. I then start to enquire about his past "I was young and stupid, lifting girls skirts and shit. Y'know just stupid shit." he tells us. I start to think "Hmmm, y'know I really don't know."
He then tells us that he had lived in the US but was kicked out because of his record, then Austria, Spain, back to the UK for a week then he's been in Amsterdam for a while now. They won't give him a break.
I start to get incredibly anxious at this point but the adrenaline kicks in and gets me through. I need to be functional for my wife's protection and that was my saving grace. That and maybe the THC regulating my anxiety.
We are a block from the museum and he tries to steer us off course to see the place where he squats. I convince him that we have a schedule so we keep moving. The last few blocks I'd noticed more and more eyes trained on him as we walked the streets. He tells us stories of the Amsterdam criminal underworld (although it's not very underground at all over there.) Stories of murder by canal, people chewed up by boats and an offer to traffic drugs from Austria up to Amsterdam via train.
Then the comment that tipped the scales for me, "Can't do better than a free tour of the city hey? And they had me on the most wanted list can you believe it? Fuckin' media called me the most dangerous man in Brittain at one point. Me!"
"Fuckin' tourists always wanna get photos with me, girls ask for a photo then run of calling me pedo. I'm so used to it now. Why not let 'em have their fun?"
Now I'm processing. My wife is stoned, even at the best of times she's not terribly perceptive. Besides, I've vouched for this dude and she trusts me so she's not really in critical thinking mode. All of my conversation has been positive affirmation towards him as I'm desperately trying to figure out just how far we are from this museum. How far from safety? We are not travellers, first time in a foreign land and I've gone from cautious to panic stations by this point.
We get to the garden outside the museum and I head straight for the doors at a brisk pace, "Babe I'm just gonna have a ciggie before we head in," My wife says. My heart sinks briefly then the adrenaline takes over again. We sit under a shaded area, he joins us and for the first time removes his sun glasses.
I know that face. It was deja vu, that face was in my memory somewhere. From that point on, I was in full blown fight mode. Fist clenched the entire time, staring into his eyes intently. I knew I was staring into the gaze of evil. Sick. Despicable. This is where my memory was taking me.
The most disgusting part for me was how I managed to get rid of him. I was panicked and wanted him gone, now. I gave him 20 euro and thanked him for his hospitality.
We entered the museum, I found the first available place to sit and immediately felt the wave of an anxiety attack flood over me. I couldn't care less at that point, I just let it happen. I had just enough left in me to make it to a toilet before vomiting.
The rest of the time in Amsterdam was spent avoiding the station entirely and I spent probably 4 hours a day every morning for the next few days trawling the internet for any reference to this guy. I spoke to shopkeepers and alike trying to describe him but no one had anything for me. I couldn't find the shop that he was kicked out of and that frustrates me still. That could've been the key to all of this for me.
I regularly think about this incident and I have tried watching doccos and researching online to track this "Stuart" down and find out who he is.
If it weren't for the weed in my system I would be 100% confident that I knew him from seeing something in regards to his criminal activity.
As it is I can only be 99.99999999%
And that's been enough to keep me awake on several occasions.
If anyone can shed light on this I will be indebted to you for life.
Quazer

Post by Quazer »

elasticband wrote:taken from reddit ( I search reddit for specific words every other day, Amsterdam, being one of them)
June 2011 and My wife and I are on our honeymoon, day 4 after flying from Melbourne to Rome and we arrive in Amsterdam. We trek from the station to our accommodation on foot with our luggage in tow, after about 20 minutes we arrive at our houseboat.
All I want is a shower, after 10 minutes of cold water running I check the hot water service. Not lit, so I light it. 2 minutes of hot water then back to cold. I ring the owner/caretaker and he apologises sincerely and promises the gas bottle will be replaced later that evening. We explore the houseboat then decide we should rest a while before venturing out. Goldmember is on TV and there's no way I can pass up watching that film on my first day in The Netherlands. It is followed by border patrol Australia, after watching Mcleod's Daughters dubbed into Italian in Rome I'm willing to skip this novelty as it's just subtitled in Dutch.
We go out, hit the coffee shop, find closest free Wi-Fi and decide we'll take food back to the boat and chill for our first night. By the time we get back another houseboat has appeared next door to ours, there is now a clothesline running from our boat to our neighbours. Cool. We also have hot running water. We have a lovely evening and then realise it's actually 10pm, and still light outside. This is after leaving Geelong in June when it's dark by 5.30. Even cooler.
Day 2 and we want to go to the Rijksmuseum and maybe a market. My wife and I have just spent 2 full days walking around Rome and we're pretty exhausted. I convince her to walk back into the station and we'll use public transport from there, I've found a museum on the way that is more to my taste. We take an alternate route back and I steer us towards the Sex Museum. It's cheap entry and was totally worth the price of admission!
I then stumble upon vintage videogame Mecca, they have everything I've ever dreamed of and it's all the same region as Australia. Heaven. I make fast friends with the staff and get hooked up with a great discount. On to the station across the road.
We stroll around and spot an information kiosk, we don't have a timetable or any idea what we're doing so this seems like a great place to start. I decide to stop and roll a cigarette before we head in and sit on a concrete barrier outside while my wife goes to get a timetable.
I wish I hadn't.
A British man approaches me and asks for a light. He's wearing an addidas tracksuit with sunglasses, maybe 5"6 and really tanned. I oblige and engage in conversation with him, he's speaking the first fluent English that I've heard in almost a week and it was kinda refreshing. We talk about our disdain for establishment and he enlightens me on the "heavy puritanical Christian" leadership in Britain. He's homeless but I wouldn't have picked it, he's clean, intelligent and didn't ask me for a ciggie. Apparently he lives in Amsterdam now because his situation at home was so shitty. He says something about his ideals not being accepted, almost a punk ethos, he just doesn't fit their mould.
My wife returns and he introduces himself "Stuart (Stewart?), welcome to Amsterdam." He tells us what tram to catch to get to the museum but suggests it's a relatively short walk and he's up for it if we want him to give us a little tour of the city on the way there. Why not.
He takes us through main streets while occasionally taking us to some hidden gems down side streets on the way. First is a really cool "coffee shop" to get in the right frame of mind for me to go to a fine art museum. Nuf said. He says to go hang upstairs and he'll order and meet us up there, we head up. As he emerges at the top of the stairs a group of 3 girls and a guy immediately lock eyes on him. Facial expressions were far from positive. As soon as he's clear of the stairs they immediately leave. He heckles them in Dutch as they wander past and says "everyone knows me round here."
They look fairly "straight" and I don't think anything of it. He's probably asked for money or maybe even tried to rip them off. I'm confident that I can take this guy if it comes down to it so my only thought is to stay on main roads. Everyone gets the benefit of the doubt with me until I have reason to think otherwise.
Now we're stoned and physically exhausted, we resume our quest for fine art. Next stop is a cool little shop with original art for sale, Nintendo novelty stuff, Japanese robot toys and heaps of hippie shit.
He is asked to leave the premises by the owner. Homeless people don't have money, therefore they are in your shop to steal right? This is where I should have clicked. Something 'aint right with this. My benefit of the doubt has turned into naivety.
My wife makes her purchase and we rejoin him outside. I ask what that was all about, "I've got a criminal record in the UK from 10 years ago and some people just can't let go" he tells us. I then start to enquire about his past "I was young and stupid, lifting girls skirts and shit. Y'know just stupid shit." he tells us. I start to think "Hmmm, y'know I really don't know."
He then tells us that he had lived in the US but was kicked out because of his record, then Austria, Spain, back to the UK for a week then he's been in Amsterdam for a while now. They won't give him a break.
I start to get incredibly anxious at this point but the adrenaline kicks in and gets me through. I need to be functional for my wife's protection and that was my saving grace. That and maybe the THC regulating my anxiety.
We are a block from the museum and he tries to steer us off course to see the place where he squats. I convince him that we have a schedule so we keep moving. The last few blocks I'd noticed more and more eyes trained on him as we walked the streets. He tells us stories of the Amsterdam criminal underworld (although it's not very underground at all over there.) Stories of murder by canal, people chewed up by boats and an offer to traffic drugs from Austria up to Amsterdam via train.
Then the comment that tipped the scales for me, "Can't do better than a free tour of the city hey? And they had me on the most wanted list can you believe it? Fuckin' media called me the most dangerous man in Brittain at one point. Me!"
"Fuckin' tourists always wanna get photos with me, girls ask for a photo then run of calling me pedo. I'm so used to it now. Why not let 'em have their fun?"
Now I'm processing. My wife is stoned, even at the best of times she's not terribly perceptive. Besides, I've vouched for this dude and she trusts me so she's not really in critical thinking mode. All of my conversation has been positive affirmation towards him as I'm desperately trying to figure out just how far we are from this museum. How far from safety? We are not travellers, first time in a foreign land and I've gone from cautious to panic stations by this point.
We get to the garden outside the museum and I head straight for the doors at a brisk pace, "Babe I'm just gonna have a ciggie before we head in," My wife says. My heart sinks briefly then the adrenaline takes over again. We sit under a shaded area, he joins us and for the first time removes his sun glasses.
I know that face. It was deja vu, that face was in my memory somewhere. From that point on, I was in full blown fight mode. Fist clenched the entire time, staring into his eyes intently. I knew I was staring into the gaze of evil. Sick. Despicable. This is where my memory was taking me.
The most disgusting part for me was how I managed to get rid of him. I was panicked and wanted him gone, now. I gave him 20 euro and thanked him for his hospitality.
We entered the museum, I found the first available place to sit and immediately felt the wave of an anxiety attack flood over me. I couldn't care less at that point, I just let it happen. I had just enough left in me to make it to a toilet before vomiting.
The rest of the time in Amsterdam was spent avoiding the station entirely and I spent probably 4 hours a day every morning for the next few days trawling the internet for any reference to this guy. I spoke to shopkeepers and alike trying to describe him but no one had anything for me. I couldn't find the shop that he was kicked out of and that frustrates me still. That could've been the key to all of this for me.
I regularly think about this incident and I have tried watching doccos and researching online to track this "Stuart" down and find out who he is.
If it weren't for the weed in my system I would be 100% confident that I knew him from seeing something in regards to his criminal activity.
As it is I can only be 99.99999999%
And that's been enough to keep me awake on several occasions.
If anyone can shed light on this I will be indebted to you for life.
Good read. A similar looking guy in a blue tracksuit walked up to me years ago in Vondelpark. Short hair, sunglasses, no UK accent though. Said he was from Croatia, asked where I was from and offered me to stay at his place for free. I asked why he would do that, he said he liked the mentality of my people... when it was clear to him that I didn't want to have anything to do with him, he asked for 50 cents for the bus, didn't give him anything and he was gone again. Problem solved, my karma detector gave him away. :lol:
Adamster

Post by Adamster »

Wow! You must of been really high 8)
I'd like to see the pictures? :roll: they ain't showing ...
Sound like this guy that walked up to me in vondel park
started taking about tennis and doing on and on then started saying he traveled America ended homeless in America and wanted by the law ...and somehow made it to Amsterdam :shock: and in last 18 months was having a hard time avoiding the law and others ..then he asked if I was interested in seeing where he lives ... It's about at that time in he's little speedy conversation whit me that I told him I have no money to give !i got up and biked off in the sunset 8)
Two days later during my midnight ride was sitting at same place in the park and same guy came up too me ( didn't even recognize me) started talking and I replied no English and he fucked up saying sorry ! sorry! :roll:
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Sounds like a basic old school hustler to me, the worlds cities are full of them except in stoney old Amsterdam they get extra scarey :mrgreen:. 20 euros for an hours work :idea:.

A travellers tale. :roll:
What a long strange trip it is.
Not_the_monk

Post by Not_the_monk »

spidergawd wrote:Sounds like a basic old school hustler to me, the worlds cities are full of them except in stoney old Amsterdam they get extra scarey :mrgreen:. 20 euros for an hours work :idea:.

A travellers tale. :roll:
Yeah my impression too, obvious blagger. Guy was probably pissed they look so long to pay him to go away.
Mike93

Post by Mike93 »

Some crazy story, seemed this guy mentally fucked up their honeymoon trip to Mokum.

I read the whole story on reddit :shock: :shock: shame know one can shed any light on the man in question.