Tobacco Advice - Additive Free / Organic

Hardware and techniques: joints, pipes and vaporisers.
Double Life

Tobacco Advice - Additive Free / Organic

Post by Double Life »

Hi,

I learned to smoke hasj in joints mixed with tobacco whilst I was in Europe and despite all the health issues find I really only enjoy smoking tobacco hasj mixed joints. I'm heading to Europe later in the year and was hoping some of you European folks might be able to point me in the direction of a good additive free organic tobacco.

I only smoke 1 or 2 mixed hasj joints to wake and bake then its pure buds the rest of the day so I'm only looking to purchase a small packet of good tobacco to last my Amsterdam trip which is 7 days. I'm going to be staying with friends in London en-route so can visit one of the upmarket tobacco shops there but I'd prefer to purchase some good tobacco in the Netherlands as I've heard the prices in London are close to extortion and the shop staff fairly snooty (condescending looks give away the invisible no white sneakers sign).

The brands I've been recommended are as follows:

American Spirit Blue - rolling tobacco & pre-manufactured cigarettes
Pueblo & Pueblo Blue - rolling tobacco
Excellent Pure - rolling tobacco
Auld Kendal Gold - rolling tobacco
Flandria Eco - rolling tobacco
Yuma Gold - pre-manufactured cigarettes

I don't know any of these brands or their claims to be organic or additive free, does anyone have any experience of these tobaccos and any ideas where I would find them in Amsterdam? Are there more brands available in the dark musty tobacco shops of Amsterdam? I have googled for information but it seems the ban on tobacco advertising limits what retailers can display as content.

The Auld Kendal Gold I will probably find in London but I don't think it's organic or additive free, have tried both American Spirit types and they made my throat sore and the tobacco flavor was overpowering.

Advices welcomed

Double Life

Re: Tobacco Advice - Additive Free / Organic

Post by Double Life »

Spoke to my buddy in London not long after my original post and he says European blended tobacco and pre-manufactured cigarettes are different to those here in the US. Knowing what I'm like he suggested sending me a few discrete sample packages of the European sold stuff to avoid having to trawl the shops with me when I visit later this year. He gave me a list to choose from what will be available in London & Netherlands.

Below is what I've tried and what I thought, kingsize tobacco joints with .4g nepal soft hash per joint:

American Spirit Yellow tobacco
American Spirit Yellow pre-manufactured cigarettes
American Spirit Blue tobacco
American Spirit Blue pre-manufactured cigarettes

The yellow packs of both tobacco and cigarettes were actually very smooth and they did taste different to the ones I can buy here, much milder and smoother, even the European blue options seem weaker than available here. Both tobacco and cigarettes burn for a long time in a hasj joint and leave a nice clean white ash.

Pueblo Original & Blue tobacco - I didn't like this one as it was very overpowering in taste, couldn't taste the hasj at all. Not very smooth, even the milder blue version is spicy tasting and hot on the tongue. The ash left behind was gray white.

Flandria Eco (Sauvage) tobacco - I liked this one, a sweet taste which I didn't notice with the others so far, compliments a creamy hasj joint perfectly for me. Nice slow burn and clean white ash.

Manitou Virginia Gold tobacco - This was was my least favorite, very strong tobacco flavor almost bordering on cigar tasting, ash was gray.

Additive free rolling tobacco is fairly dry to start with and dries out very quickly I found, maybe due to the lengthy transport in my case but it was something that you noticed about halfway through a 12.5g pack. As I said above, additive free tobacco and the tobacco from the cigarettes seem to last forever in a joint. Nicotine warning though, I only smoke tobacco with hasj joints and also noticed you get some serious nicotine input with these additive frees.

Smoking tobacco is not healthy and I don't recommend it to anyone but if you are a sucker for hasj and tobacco like me the above maybe useful as all the above brands are available in Amsterdam.
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

I can't imagine American Spirit isn't easily available. I tried it once in London – I don't mix tobacco with the good stuff, but have the minor bad habit of sparking up a rollup now and again as a responsible citizen may well do in public. I found it pretty bad by comparison to whatever I usually deny smoking (GV and occasional other sorts), and was told that it really only works as a mixer. I suspect I roll for something to do with my hands as well as the nicotine, and that's not as satisfying an experience either, what with the dryness.
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

We tried the orange American Spirit ciggies last visit as they were the ones containing the lowest amount of nicotine (4 mg iwrc), they might have an even lower one but didn’t see that there (dunno how many colors there are).

We, and especially Mr. CC, does not smoke tobacco outside of joints and hate the effects of nicotine and how an untoasted ciggy ruins the taste and high of both hash and weed when added to a joint. Don’t know how many are aware of or even practice the Danish custom of toasting cigarettes before adding them to joints, but the principle is to get the nicotine out and dry out the tobacco so the joint burns much smoother and doesn’t give you that nasty nicotine buzz on top of your high (yyyyuuuuuukkkky).

The problem with the American spirit ciggies is that they are “rolled” a little loose, especially at the top. This means that they are hard to give a good toasting without burning the paper (or even, if you aren’t as practiced the tobacco it self). This imparts a tary, burned hint to the tobacco that increases the more you burn, not toast the ciggy. We can imagine that this tobacco is almost perfect for those that do not toast it, but we prefer low nicotine brands that are easier to toast.

The Danish “Prince Double silver” is only 0,1 mg, 1 mg tar and 2 mg carbon monoxidend ijust perfect, two or three quick toastings and you have yourself a very flavorful hash joint without the smallest hint of nicotine.
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
Double Life

Post by Double Life »

I missed the obvious, Drum Natural hand rolling tobacco is available all over Amsterdam. Also Amber Leaf have their Select blend hand rolling tobacco which is available both in the UK and Netherlands. Both are additive free but the Amber Leaf is cheap tobacco so assume its probably not very smooth.

I wasn't a big fan of the American Spirit cigarettes, a bit too dry and harsh for me. Here in the US we have 5 or 6 flavors/styles but only seen Yellow and Blue in Europe.

Most of the additive free hand rolling tobacco is very dry, have seen that you can buy a pueblo stone to keep the tobacco moist or you can put a couple of damp filters in the pouch to keep it fresh for longer.

I will be buying a pouch of the Flandria Eco (Sauvage) when I get to Amsterdam, its available in most tobacco shops there and made in Belgium.
Skuntank

Post by Skuntank »

NAS packs say "no additives doesn't mean a safer cigarette." I call bullshit to some extent. I'm sure they had to put that on there for safety reasons and health concerns or whatever. There's still tar, nicotine and carbon monoxide in American Spirits, but that's about it. American Spirits are great cigarettes, but there's an additive that helps prolong the shelf-life and keep them more fresh. NAS doesn't have this additive, so they go stale much faster than other cigs. All in all, NAS are great cigarettes and are quite a bit healthier than other cigarettes as long as you can deal with getting stale packs every now and then.

I believe Native American smokers to be healthier because they don't pollute their crop with additives, pesticides and whatnot. Just premium, whole-leaf, natural-grown tobacco. Just the way God gave it to us. They do use FSC, however, it's a sea-weed extract; not carpet glue. NAS is a quality brand. They really care about their cigarettes and their consumers.
gromit

Post by gromit »

my advice is screw the tobbackey and go pure ,...keep the cancer out of your mother nature,... :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: