I just discovered bong heaven cheap glass

Hardware and techniques: joints, pipes and vaporisers.
OneHighMofo

Re: I just discovered bong heaven cheap glass

Post by OneHighMofo »

Hmmm sorry - totally disagree.
The artisan glass market is totally blowing up right now (pun intended). Especially in the US - glass like Mothership Faberge Eggs are changing hands for multiple thousands of dollars and the price is rising all the time; despite a deluge of cheap chinese copies.

Even here in the UK there's a decent size marketplace for expensive glass. I personally a couple of fairly serious collectors with £2000+ value collections.

Yeah sure theres a cheaper market - but there's no way that will affect the serious collectors. Roor's problem is that they're churning out mass-produced stuff that's easy to copy. They'd like to think they're in the artisan market; but they're not taken seriously by collectors for that very reason.

macky

Post by macky »

Got to agree ,lots new glass shops opening here. Another new one here,went to buy one inch roc-wool cubes at place called indoor farmer. They now sell seeds e,g, DNA,serious seeds etc. thats new seeds where I buy hydro equipment 8)
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Maybe I should've have rephrased that bit. The creme-de-la-creme top of the line glassware, sure there's a market as anything - but I'd say it's a very niche market and in my experience the snobbiness of many towards "brand-name" or high-end glassware in the US has decreased, largely due to the advent of Chinese copycats (and vapes which as explained can't be copycatted as well) that usually function every bit as well in use (and I still stand by that statement). In my experience people I know (in the US) don't care as much about name-brand glass like they used to (some do, but most don't). In the past you could only get "branded" glass-on-glass bongs which were always grossly overpriced whether in local headshops or internet-vendors, now you can get something that works basically the same for 1/5 of the price so of course vendors like dhgate will be able to command a larger share of the market than these high-end craftsmen, I don't think there's any chance it's even close.

Edit: I guess there's two more important elements to add, in the US a large reason the glass demand hasn't been more uprooted by increasing popularity of vapes and the like is that dabs are also increasing in popularity and many still prefer a dab rig or a high-end vape with a WPA. But most of this glassware can still be easily replicated by Chinese producers. Some of the more fancy type percs and really artistic pieces of course are more difficult to properly emulate (I seem to recall being smitten with one piece from your collection OHMF and of course J-man's were amazing but that has to do with rigorous maintenance too) but I think for more standard dab rigs and vape compatible glassware the chinese seem to fill that market quite sufficiently.
Last edited by Nuggz on Thu 16th Feb 2017 02:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macky

Post by macky »

Your right Nug,s lots more people in the 99 percent ,buying cheaper pipes that work . It,s a bit like golf clubs it,s not the differents in parts of the club that effect the price .It,s quality control e.g. Angels,degree of loft checked double check .Same with pipes all about man hours and what the company's standards are . It's like vaporizer ,there,s vaps. and then there's German made machines ,same with well made pipe ...you just know.