I just discovered bong heaven cheap glass

Hardware and techniques: joints, pipes and vaporisers.
Minxtus

I just discovered bong heaven cheap glass

Post by Minxtus »

Hi guys,

I stumbled across this site called dhgate.com

It is like a Chinese version of amazon.

But oh my god the bongs , they have thousands and all for very reasonable prices

And good quality for the price if you know what to buy.

I got myself a mobius replica for 50 American dollars. Hasn't arrived yet but all the reviews are very positive thick glass etc.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/29-5cm-ta ... 7C20170215

Little tip for anyone thinking of buying Steven is a good seller I have seen him mentioned in more than one review.

macky

Re: I just discovered bong heaven cheap glass

Post by macky »

Knock off shit son. Like everything else good glass cost good money :D Fasteddie had article on this couple weeks ago …search away
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

macky wrote: Wed 15th Feb 2017 02:50 pm Knock off shit son. Like everything else good glass cost good money :D Fasteddie had article on this couple weeks ago …search away
True for the most part, but sometimes good 1:1 clones can be as good as the original.
BTW, I'm not talking about the bong he linked to or any other specific item, just a general observation.
Last edited by Old Timer on Wed 15th Feb 2017 03:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minxtus

Post by Minxtus »

I understand the quality won't be as good with the bong I bought but if it works and is sturdy and thick why not get one . At 1/10th of the price . No way I would spend 500 dollars on a bong .

There are some things on that site look very well made

http://www.dhgate.com/product/classic-b ... 3779547420

Try finding a pipe as well made as this one in the dam for less than 50 euros

The reviews on this site speak for themselves there are a lot of happy customers.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Got to admit guys, these pipes look amazing for the price... Really don't see an issue with them, other than them being either knock-off, or inferior glass to high-end pipes... I really don't think these are for the "Roor" aficionado markets; more for the "i just want a bong" people.... Like me!! :D

...If you look at the article NSFE posted recently, even those selling official Roor products said they aren't perfect, some even with issues that would make them almost unusable, so why risk it? ...Buy a nice cheap Chinese one, and if that sucks, well, you only lost $90 or whatever.... One of my favourite bongs was a thin and cheap one i bought 20 years ago.... It eventually broke, but we got a couple years out of it.... Cost about £15.... Can't say that if it had been a $400 Roor, my memories of getting shit-faced off it would have been any better.
Minxtus

Post by Minxtus »

Is this the article macky ?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33266&p=401365#p401365
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Yep the pipes 'look' amazing in the picture they post sure. However just be aware; when that puppy lands - there is NO guarantee that yours will look like the picture.

A lot of the designs on DH Gate are close copies (read rip-offs) of much more expensive designs from the american glass blowers like Toro, Mobius and Mothership.

I have a mobius sidecar copy that I bought there. An original would have cost me £350, I paid £35 with shipping :lol:
Now - I'm sat ripping on this bong today. She performs well - to a point. The functionality is ok. I like this bong.
BUT
Boy is she wobbly :lol: the downstem is patched together in 3 different parts, none of them straight and the ground glass joint where the bowl fits isn't even round. The bowl sits out at 'an angle'. It's not really noticeable during use. But it's there. Suffice to say it does NOT look like that lovely shot on DH Gate.

I've seen decent Toro's from there - my buddy has this exact one and it's great. Functions well. Looks just like a Toro. I'm 100% positive that it isn't as nice borosilicate as the real thing. But then a real one will set you back £350 brand new ;)

But if expensive glass collecting ain't your thang and you can live with (at times some pretty major) imperfections.
DH Gate will definitely see you right.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Minxtus wrote: Wed 15th Feb 2017 02:28 pm Hi guys,

I stumbled across this site called dhgate.com

It is like a Chinese version of amazon.

But oh my god the bongs , they have thousands and all for very reasonable prices

And good quality for the price if you know what to buy.

I got myself a mobius replica for 50 American dollars. Hasn't arrived yet but all the reviews are very positive thick glass etc.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/29-5cm-ta ... 7C20170215

Little tip for anyone thinking of buying Steven is a good seller I have seen him mentioned in more than one review.
My best smoking buddy has the real version of that exact piece - it's got the nicest rip of any bong I've ever hit. I'm seriously tempted to buy the real thing (shorter version like the sidecar I posted above).
macky

Post by macky »

Hey I have used toilet rolls with tin foil for screen what real pothead has not? :)
Maybe spoiled ,never would think buy one by mail.
I go Hemp store Toronto ,I guess they sell online ?
They have huge selection ,lots of different types E-nails . The ones I love are like up to 6 or 7 hundred euros.
More important if dabbing I would imagine :mrgreen:
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

That reminds me Macky - if anyone is looking for an e-nail for dabbing.
DH Gate is THE place to buy one. You'll pay £100 for the same piece of electronics that your local head-shop wants £300 for.
macky

Post by macky »

OneHighMofo wrote: Wed 15th Feb 2017 05:33 pm That reminds me Macky - if anyone is looking for an e-nail for dabbing.
DH Gate is THE place to buy one. You'll pay £100 for the same piece of electronics that your local head-shop wants £300 for.
now that very interesting :mrgreen:
tot ziens

Post by tot ziens »

A $20 bong and a $200 bong do exactly the same thing. I don't care who made it. Thinner glass...sure, fit and finish different...maybe. If you pull smoke through water to cool and then into your lungs both do it the same. You don't get higher or change anything smoking out of cheap glass or expensive glass.

Science is your friend.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

tot ziens wrote: Wed 15th Feb 2017 11:08 pm A $20 bong and a $200 bong do exactly the same thing. I don't care who made it. Thinner glass...sure, fit and finish different...maybe. If you pull smoke through water to cool and then into your lungs both do it the same. You don't get higher or change anything smoking out of cheap glass or expensive glass.

Science is your friend.
Agreed. Kind of. There is something refined about the chug from something at the pricey end of the scale i have to admit.

I don't own anything like that myself but every time I hit a really nice piece it feels sophisticated - like there's been thousands of slightly imperfect ones (like my Frobius) smashed to pieces on a 'not good enough pile'.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

The lovely lad MadMax left me with his "travel rig" last time he was in town, a cheap "toro" knock-off that I believe he stated he paid peanuts for on dhgate or the like (def one of the chinese vendors).

Unfortunately broke it and replaced it with the same green GG rig I had before it, how fitting. But my 2 abe lincoln heads is that after years of using everything from legit branded roors, to legit branded illadelphs and fake for all these companies (still branded) now to the new wave of unbranded copycat glassware if it's thick enough glass, is a true glass-on-glass set up it should do the trick and match of around at least 90% to the mark functionality as the piece which it immitates. There was an article recently maybe it was Eddie (maybe another forum) about RooR's financial woes because nobody wants to pay the premium for their product anymore when the knockoffs are indistinguishable and a fraction of the cost.

Now the Chinese have also got to cloning top-of-the-line vaporizers these days, i.e. knock-off PAX's or Crafty/Mighty or Firefly's, those are more concerning because of the wide variation in potentially harmful materials that could be used in the build, and also because it requires more knowledge to maintain as a high-tech gadget, not having a valid warranty because you got sold a fake is certainly a concern.

TL;DR - dude absolutely use dhgate, perfectly worth it. High-end glassware smoker's niche is a sinking ship and until it has some sort of safeguard or complicated service/build/maintenance aspect to it like the fancy vapes mentioned above, then the industry will likely drown because there's no warranties or safety concerns to steers consumers towards authorized vendors, if that makes sense...
Minxtus

Post by Minxtus »

Well said,

I total agree delekkersteNugs16.
I had considered because of the cannibus boom taking up glass blowing and studied it for a bit thinking I could make a big of coin on the side doing creative artistic work until I saw a bong on e bay from china and realised then and there it could never be profitable and there would be no future for me in glass blowing not to mention the price of the equipment required.

A copied a link to that very article (above) about roor and there trouble with replica glass.