COPENHAGEN CONSIDERS LEGALIZING CANNABIS

Puffin13

Post by Puffin13 »

September 16 2009
By Ed Freeman

A debate over legal marijuana has been raging in Denmark this summer because of an unpleasant gang war.

Denmark has had a liberal attitude towards cannabis since the 1970s. The open sale of hashish and marijuana had long been tolerated in the famous Pusher Street in Christiania, a haven for hippies and anarchists allowed to exist in the middle of Copenhagen. In its early years, Christiania had a conflict between users and sellers of hard and soft drugs, and the hard drugs were expelled from the village. Only soft drugs were tolerated, a policy that has worked well for many years.

Since the conservative government chose to close down the open sale in 2004, the cannabis market spread all over Copenhagen. Cannabis quickly became even more available than before, and illegal coffeeshops, so called "hash clubs" opened everywhere. Danish police have closed over 150 such clubs in Copenhagen. In Odense, Denmark’s third-largest city, they are still openly advertising their services.

With increasing clampdowns came increasing violence, and biker gangs were pitted against other gangs consisting mainly of immigrants. Gangs performed visitations of random passerbys to check for rival gang members, and several liquidations and shootouts took place. People were afraid to get caught in the crossfire, and the Danish police asked people to stop buying hashish.

That’s when several danish politicians came up with a better idea: legalize it. And don’t do like the dutch and just legalize the retail outlets, but the whole chain, to take away the entire criminal market. The Social Magistrate of Copenhagens city council, Mikkel Warming, suggested letting coffee shops sell hashish legally. His proposal was not voted on, instead the city council voted to get concrete proposals on how it can be done, and continue debate after summer.

Ann-Sofie Von Bech of the Social Administration of Copenhagen came up with the requested report and recommendations on the 25th of May. The report refers to the Beckley Foundation Cannabis Commission report in several places.

In short, the report concludes (like Arnold Schwarzenegger) that there are no examples of state controlled and regulated cannabis, but that it could nevertheless be an alternative to the current situation of illegality. It admits that prohibition has not had an effect on use of cannabis or the criminality surrounding it. Furthermore, the report recommends that the government, if they choose to legalize, put an eighteen year age limit on the drug, and that relevant information about harmful effects are distributed to users. Advertising would be illegal, and the situation should be monitored closely.

Polls showed that 59% of Denmark supports legalization, and a majority of the youth wings of the political parties support it as well; however, the chances of it passing now are slim, as it would have to be approved by the Ministry of Justice.

The Minister of Justice has already made it clear that Copenhagen would not get this dispensation, but a majority of Copenhagen’s politicians are taking this discussion seriously, and Warming says the "idea is being kept alive".

Expect debate to continue soon, especially if the drug wars do not calm down in Copenhagen.

Source

Cannabis is The Tree of Life
hippy_man99

Post by hippy_man99 »

perhaps I'll plan a trip to Copenhagen. or better yet Odense... sounds like a lively place

Perhaps it'll evolve like the early days of Amsterdam I've heard so much about. Tales of the 90's and their carefree days are in contrast with the flack I hear spewing about in the current political climate...

anyone else been to Denmark and have experiences with these "hash clubs'?

peace,
hippy
geoffk

Post by geoffk »

I'd like to try Copenhagen. As always, thanks for the posts Puff!
Pauli Wallnuts

Post by Pauli Wallnuts »

geoffk wrote:I'd like to try Copenhagen. As always, thanks for the posts Puff!
ditto
sh@dy

Post by sh@dy »

great! hope they can move something :)
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

Ive been meaning to visit christiania for a while now,Maybe 1 day i will get round to it.
cantona7
Location: Seattle- trips to the 'dam, 7 by the time i caught up with freedom i was out of breathe

Post by cantona7 »

denmark would be cool. id def go..i like amsterdam better than copenhagen though tbh. i went to Christania in 2006. i have pics but they are on my desktop. will try and remember to post them. the hash i got that day was mediocre at best though tbh. i doubt it reps the avg hash there though.
educating myself and waiting for the next trip.
instagram @shooter_mcdabbin
Puffin13

Post by Puffin13 »

geoffk wrote:I'd like to try Copenhagen. As always, thanks for the posts Puff!
As always, I enjoy bringing relevant news to the ACD forum. :D
Cannabis is The Tree of Life
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

cantona7 wrote:denmark would be cool. id def go..i like amsterdam better than copenhagen though tbh. i went to Christania in 2006. i have pics but they are on my desktop. will try and remember to post them. the hash i got that day was mediocre at best though tbh. i doubt it reps the avg hash there though.

Yea do that,I know the kiosks have been taken down but i hear "pusher street" is still very much alive 8).
Oxcasual

Post by Oxcasual »

Had a couple of nights in Copenhagen last November. Found a smoke easy to to get hold of, also plenty of coke (if thats your thing).

Liked the place, everything was just to expensive thou. £7 for a cheese toasty in one bar :shock: . Makes Amsterdam look like a cheap few days.

Fairplay & respect to the Danes if they go through it. Hopefully it might make other cities/countrys wake & get with the times.
Forward the Revolution
Lion King

Post by Lion King »

I will try to give you an update on the situation in cph. Im not fluent in English will try my best.
Most Danes even the politicians think that a legalization of cannabis is a good idea. The only one who seems to disagree with that is the Minister of Justice(wanker). I think that being part of the European union is a part of the problem too because its not legal in many/any of the countries in the union.
Denmark is a small country and i think that we are afraid to upset the bigger countries. If Germany or another country legalized cannabis it would be much easier for us to do it
Legalization is a big issue at the moment and a lot of great ideas have come up but it seems like its just talk talk talk no action.

Hippyman dont go to Odense if you want quality cannabis- go to Christiania- maybe if youre a big fan of HC Andersen (he was born there):lol:

Kingdoc pusherstreet is still very much alive. 99% of the time (no closing hours) is everything your heart desires available (no hard drugs-not trying to imply you do it just FYI). The police occasionally raid the street but business as usual 30 sec later

Oxcasual im glad you liked it here- yes cph is one of the most expensive cities in the world.
Bevar Christiania
cantona7
Location: Seattle- trips to the 'dam, 7 by the time i caught up with freedom i was out of breathe

Post by cantona7 »

i didn't notice copenhagen to be overly expesnive..esp compared to other places iv visited like london and tokyo(well everywhere that iv been to in japan).
educating myself and waiting for the next trip.
instagram @shooter_mcdabbin