Copenhagen Debates Legalizing Marijuana, Importing from US

notsofasteddie

Copenhagen Debates Legalizing Marijuana, Importing from US

Post by notsofasteddie » Wed 13th Mar 2013 02:26 pm

Copenhagen debates legalizing marijuana, mulls importing from United States

By William Breathes
Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Copenhagen.

Copenhagen officials are considering a measure that would create a three-year legalization study to help curb gang activity and create a "better life for average cannabis users." Interestingly, the current proposal calls for cannabis to be imported from Colorado and Washington where voters recently passed bills legalizing small amounts of cannabis for personal use.

"If we get the three-year trial, it will be important to work as quickly and effectively as possible, so we are looking abroad for where we could import cannabis," Michael Warming, deputy mayor for social affairs in Copenhagen, told the Copenhagen Post. "Yes, we are looking at Colorado and Washington, but we're also looking at places like Great Britain, where there is state-controlled production of marijuana for medical purposes."

Unfortunately, the Danes haven't really looked into the reality of this with regards to American law. International distribution would certainly be illegal on the federal level, even if the two states have approved of recreational cannabis use for their citizens. And so far, neither state has given approval for even a single state-regulated recreational cannabis shop to open. So far, Copenhagen officials have not reached out to officials in the United States on the matter - but a meeting with Washington officials is scheduled for Friday.

Warming said that while importing marijuana from those states might violate international treaties, Denmark already imports illegal heroin for state-sponsored "injection rooms".

If passed, the bill would likely make cannabis use legal for Denmark residents 18-and-up. The proposal would not legalize cannabis purchases for non-residents in an attempt to curtail the "hash tourism" so popular in Amsterdam and the Netherlands.

"This is common sense," Warming said. "As local politicians, we are closer to reality. The ban on cannabis has failed. People can get it anywhere, it is mixed with harder drugs and it finances crime. If we get the trial, which would be a three-year experiment, we will try it and then see what the results are. If it is successful, we will work towards permanent legalization in Copenhagen and the whole of Denmark."

tokeofthetown

Kermit

Re: Copenhagen Debates Legalizing Marijuana, Importing from

Post by Kermit » Wed 13th Mar 2013 04:39 pm

Go go go Denmark, hell yeah, Amsterdam could be in the shit as its looking like the U.S has started a domino effect, I am waiting for the day you post this to do with U.K. :D

spidergawd

Post by spidergawd » Wed 13th Mar 2013 04:40 pm

Right, is this the first European domino wobbling :?: A strange idea that they would import, even if that were possible in the near future I dont think that will go down well with local farmers, and anyway how long would it take to set up and produce commercially? If it's legal then surely a lot will be homegrown. :D

Positive noises at least :idea:.
What a long strange trip it is.

redeyezman

Post by redeyezman » Wed 13th Mar 2013 04:50 pm

The way they deal with heroin addicts is quite unique. They treat the addiction, and don't treat junkies like animals. The slave labor in prisons needs workers tho... I'm not defending junkies because clearly they need to take responsibility, but taking advantage of people ain't right either. They're just going to keep stealing for society to get their fix, an most want to change there is just no safety net to catch them all.... Anyways without getting to far into that issue I just don't see how Denmark could have heroin treatment figured out, but not get legalization of cannabis right. The last legalization attempt fizzled out. Hope this one goes better!
Shells sink. Dreams float.

treetop

Post by treetop » Sat 30th Mar 2013 02:30 pm

COME ON DENMARK! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
How much did you produce?

Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron » Sat 30th Mar 2013 04:44 pm

redeyezman wrote:The way they deal with heroin addicts is quite unique. They treat the addiction, and don't treat junkies like animals. The slave labor in prisons needs workers tho... I'm not defending junkies because clearly they need to take responsibility, but taking advantage of people ain't right either. They're just going to keep stealing for society to get their fix, an most want to change there is just no safety net to catch them all.... Anyways without getting to far into that issue I just don't see how Denmark could have heroin treatment figured out, but not get legalization of cannabis right. The last legalization attempt fizzled out. Hope this one goes better!
+1...
Comment on the Danish attempts at legalization...
I'm trying to imagine the pressure the Danish leadership is enduring from outsiders, ie... EU, UN, US, etc... to maintain the status quo, decriminalize but not legalize.
The US (Feds) may soon have to abandon it's ignorant stand on all things cannabis, mainly because of Colorado and Washington, plus 16 States and DC with MMJ. http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view ... eID=000881 ...
and not to forget activities in several States to put measures on the next ballot to legalize... and the move in Congress to open up Hemp even further...
Food for thought - several international policies and treaties will have to be rewritten in order for any nation to be recognized as having legalized cannabis. Good luck...
The shit is deep, really deep. Bureaucracy 101. :roll:
... :mrgreen:

darkglobe

Post by darkglobe » Wed 10th Apr 2013 03:06 pm

Copenhagen's Mayor's Party Officially endorse Legal Cannabis before Elections...

http://cannabisni.com/world-wide-cannab ... -elections
"That cats something i can't explain"

Return to “Denmark”