Smell not transferring to taste....

Bud reviews. Varieties of marijuana.
Junglist Movement

Smell not transferring to taste....

Post by Junglist Movement »

So we've all been there... bought that bag of green godess that smells almost too good to be true. Upon smoking however the taste is just isn't there. What cause this? Taste and smell are connected so how is it that great smelling smoke doesnt taste so once puffed.

Could well be a simple explanation but my weary intellect is struggling to produce an answer.

OneHighMofo

Re: Smell not transferring to taste....

Post by OneHighMofo »

Great question. I think we've all wondered this at times - especially after an expensive Coffeeshop purchase that's gone awry.

I'm not so sure that the issue is quite as simple as 'badly cured'; which is a term difficult to quantify as it encompasses so many factors. Generally when asked most people won't be able to put any more detail behind the critique than that - but at a basic level I believe that they're commenting on the moisture level and the resultant effects that's had on the properties of the finish in the throat. But I'm not convinced that's the entire story.

It seems to me that flavour in Cannabis can be muted (while retaining reasonable volume in the nose) if the product isn't properly dried or has been under-fed, not having access to sugars and carbs during the flower phase can result in product that looks and smells decent enough but just doesn't deliver.

Some strains definitely store better than others - those that suffer the most from being stored likely (to my limited understanding) have terpene profiles that are heaviest in particularly volatile molecules. The terpenes that are the most available to the palette are obviously also the quickest to dissipate as they're the most unstable at lower temperatures. I find lemony haze's particularly difficult to keep in that regard, but find that kushes and more savoury varieties tend to get more complex with age.

I wish I knew more about terpene science as I'm sure the answers to your question lie there. It's something I've 'Googled' for in the past and unfortunately never managed come up with anything substantial.
Junglist Movement

Post by Junglist Movement »

Nice one man. I was re reading my post and was worried that in my stones haze I didn't put enough thought into it, and that in fact the answer was readily available.

Cheers for insight.
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

Junglist Movement wrote: Tue 20th Feb 2018 06:23 pm
Could well be a simple explanation but my weary intellect is struggling to produce an answer.
My cynical mind whispers coffeeshop alteration in my ear. We know that coffeeshops have done things to increase weight, mimic tricombs, and instigate nefarious deeds.

So, an explanation of the lack of taste transfer?
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

Duplicate Post, My Bad
Last edited by notsofasteddie on Thu 22nd Feb 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

notsofasteddie wrote: Thu 22nd Feb 2018 01:00 am
My cynical mind whispers coffeeshop alteration in my ear. We know that coffeeshops have done things to increase weight, mimic tricombs, and instigate nefarious deeds.

So, an explanation of the lack of taste transfer?
Seems unnecessarily paranoic Ed when there are so many things that can go wrong that we do know about.... heat/light/all the things mentioned above and so many more. Also - I've seen this phenomena from many an accomplished grower - no coffeeshops involved. This isn't a coffeeshop only problem.

The truth is - 'top shelf' isn't easy to produce. Regardless what the coffeeshop weed snob critique mob like to believe.
GP_Smoker

Post by GP_Smoker »

Good question and a massive problem around my area atm. For at least 6 months anything that's had the lemony tang of a haze has at best tasted meh and at worst been given away. Cheese is still fairly decent and doesn't seem to suffer that problem but when you're a haze lover it's not a great state of affairs. Roll on my next trip :)