The New Amsterdam Block Hash (Amsterdam Genetics)

Bud reviews. Varieties of marijuana.
Jesscass

Re: The New Amsterdam Block Hash (Amsterdam Genetics)

Post by Jesscass »

Jesscass wrote: Still 'done' means done.
+
Jesscass wrote: Done with this thread. What a waste of time.
I agree mate :wink: but only this exception please :lol: : if you take your time reading through the whole thread you'll realise former question regarding origin of this newschool hashish just faded away after several discussions when AmsterdamGenetics invited to this testing. After that there was nothing but reviews of their gear coming from posters no hints nor details(nothing new at least) about methods or how they produced it. Crazy!
So I'd say: mission sales campain accomplished big time! Back to marketing. Consumers don't question anything anymore. Hate to say I told me so. Sad.

Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Hate to say I told me so.
No you don't you love it, you love having a shit-eating grin plastered across your face as type to the world reassurances of how you're right (whether it be morally or otherwise) and how they are wrong. Other posters are wrong, Amsterdam Genetics is wrong, the coffeeshop scene is wrong blablabla, but thank god good ole Jesscass is willing to stop by once a month and bombard us mere mortals with his infinite fucking wisdom from his ivory towers. Bye Felicia!
DedsOne

Post by DedsOne »

oooh, oooh pick me, pick me! Ik heb zin'n een block hasj proeverij en ik woon in Amsterdam hoor! :mrgreen: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Jesscass wrote:if you take your time reading through the whole thread you'll realise former question regarding origin of this newschool hashish just faded away after several discussions when AmsterdamGenetics invited to this testing. After that there was nothing but reviews of their gear coming from posters no hints nor details(nothing new at least) about methods or how they produced it. Crazy!
So I'd say: mission sales campain accomplished big time! Back to marketing. Consumers don't question anything anymore. Hate to say I told me so. Sad.
OK, I might as well say my piece. I was a big fan of Boerejongens block hashes, as can be seen from my reports from the first part of this year. In particular I liked the AM block.

In May I was having my first smoke in Katsu, considering my plans for the day, when I read that the AM block wasn't the same as it had been. For those who don't remember the discussion, it's here, along with all the discussion and speculation about how the product was made: https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/viewt ... &start=840

Forewarned is forearmed, I thought. I'll go to Bij and Boerejongens West and Centre, and ask why it's different. Maybe I'll just get stoner bullshit, but it'll be three lots of stoner bullshit. I wondered if locals found it too sticky for easy use, and preferred the drier version.

I still don't know the answer to that, but I doubt it has anything to do with it. All three budtenders I asked said, 'Yeah, it's a little different.' It could have been scripted, but probably wasn't. Did they know, or care, why it was different? Maybe. Maybe not. Doesn't really fit the image of a concerned company engaging with its customers. (Though, of course, in this it isn't really different from other shops. But it's claiming to be.)

Hence the speculation on how it might be made, and whether anything in the process might be questionable, and of course at the end of it we were no wiser than we'd ever been. Again, this applies to pretty much every hash in every coffeeshop, unless you happen to know a Dutch producer and reliable info as to how they make it, which is as rare as bullshit to that effect is common. So we're always in the position of judging by smell, taste and effect, and as I enjoy the block hashes and don't suffer ill effects after smoking them, I continue to do so. But when Amsterdam Genetics tells us that it's additive free and lovely, and shut up and smoke, it's insulting.

That'll do for starters. As to the new AK Choco Block and Blue Dream, it would be interesting to hear from anyone else who's tried them (apart from those who've already reported, of course) before I say anything about them.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

I guess I never did elaborate on what we were told about the reason for the consistency of the "block-hash", perhaps it was because an article discussing it had previously been posted on here – by Marok21 I believe. Basically, states that because of the Dutch/US genetics being used, you know strains that were genetically-engineered (re: bred extensively in some hippy's garden shed) over decades to produce much more resin than these traditional old-world landrace strains, you end up with a "gooier" stickier, more resinous product, and as stated that in and of itself is "sticker". But they also did tell us these plants produce a stickier, more potent, and much higher yielding than the landraces as well, which could also factor into the cheap cost of production. Throw in that they through direct or indirect means assuredly own some sort of plantation over there then the production costs can become understandably cheap for them!

As for certain batches, others have speculated the excessively sticky ones could indeed be jelly-hash of sorts, which would involve unpressed hash-powder (sieve) of some sort mixed with some sort of hash oil (probably rosin from what I was told, btw: said speculation was not from AMS Genetics, but from a third-party observer). I for one don't think they're any more "cut" with non-cannabinoid agents than any other "clean" import hash going around Amsterdam.
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Had a nice chat to a morrocan guy at the college yesterday before we split for batavia and bugs arrived just after at the college (stoned the lot of us). Anyways, some of the chat was about the topic of new genetics in morrocan hash and he also mentioned the change in consistency in some of the products there, being every kuchen in line with what has been said in this thread, written many other places, experienced by us in some of the hashes that have started to appear in Copenhagen and so on... Thinking it is kinda settled by now isn't it?
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

The AK Choco Bloc seems to be on the menu now... and it looks pretty like in the testing :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHlNWiDBuYA

there are also some more Infos about the "block" hashes...

@Jesscass @DeLekkersteNUGS16 lets come down a bit :D I mean in the end we all smokers and I think we have to treat "us" with
respect even on a Forum. We all smokers :mrgreen: and we love the green or the "brown" :lol:

I have not much time atm... I wanted to post something in this thread in the last days but no time :? I will try to post something tomorrow :D
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

Meet the Woman Reinventing Dutch Coffeeshops

Derrick Bergman

She’s one of the most successful, innovative entrepreneurs in the Dutch cannabis industry. She runs three of Amsterdam’s most opulent coffeeshops and a seed bank called Amsterdam Genetics. She usually keeps a low profile—and asked that only her first name, Mariska, be used—but agreed to speak with Leafly about her remarkable ascent through the cannabis industry.

Mariska’s coffeeshops, dubbed The Boerejongens (“farm boys”), are unlike any other in Amsterdam—inside and out. The marble counters, hardwood floors, and beautiful wooden cabinetry create an atmosphere of luxury and refinement. Yet it’s the menu that has really put Boerejongens on the map. Thanks to Mariska’s role as both coffeeshop and seed bank operator, customers can be completely sure which strain they’re getting. That kind of reliability is exceptional in a country where the commercial cultivation of cannabis is still illegal.

“We want sommeliers behind the counter.”

The commitment to quality also extends to the block hash that Boerejongens has introduced to the Netherlands cannabis scene. It’s made from Amsterdam Genetics strains that are sun-grown in Morocco, Mariska said, and so far it has been well received by consumers. At this year’s Highlife Cannabis Cup, their Tangerine G13 block hash won first prize in the hash category. Their Kosher Tangie block came in second.

“It started with our White Choco cannabis,” Mariska said. “This strain was so popular in Amsterdam at one point that we could no longer meet demand. So I had to think like a true entrepreneur. Some fantastic producers from Morocco crossed our path who asked permission to cultivate our seeds there.”

The hope was that the seeds would adapt to Morocco’s mountainous terrain, Mariska explained, though at first nobody was sure it would work. It did. “The plants were twice as large, and the yield double that of traditional Moroccan hash plants,” she said.

“This created great enthusiasm with the Moroccan farmers,” she continued. “Don’t forget that an estimated million people in Morocco depend on the revenue of hash production.” The farmers produce hash the traditional Moroccan way, with dry sieving. “They only use the first sieve for our blocks, giving the best quality.”

The focus on quality is a break from the anything-for-big-volumes mindset of many men in the commercial cannabis industry. Mariska thinks it could be a game-changer. Producing hash from high-quality genetics in one of the world’s best-known regions for hash, she predicted, “will cause an earthquake in the cannabis landscape.”

“It’s a win-win situation: The farmers are happy because of more revenue. The customers are happy because they get a stronger product with more taste and smell at a cheaper price,” she said

Mariska took her first steps in the cannabis industry in the mid-1990s, while a student in Amsterdam. She got a job at one of the city’s coffeeshops and stayed there for three years. “When I had to make a definitive career choice, I chose the cannabis industry,” she said. “I literally took the Yellow Pages and my finger landed on a company specializing in nutrients for cannabis. Thus my adventure began. I learned all about the breeding, growing, and harvesting process, from the clone until the harvest.”

When she got the chance to buy a coffeeshop, she took it. “It was a great opportunity and I was ready for it,” she remembered. “I had built a solid foundation and could now use all the knowledge and professionalism I had built up in a new way, and broaden and refine it.”

When asked what she believes sets Boerejongens apart from other coffeeshops, Mariska answered with a question. “What distinguishes a Michelin star restaurant from another good restaurant? It’s a combination of several well-balanced factors: the finishing touch, the product, the service, the atmosphere. There’s always someone who opens the door for you—not a bouncer but a greeter, in a three-piece suit with matching bowler hat.”

A trip to the coffeeshop isn’t just a transaction, as she describes it. It’s an experience. “The bottom line is that we’re never afraid to do things differently.”

It’s more than just surface treatment, too. Staff take at least three continuing education courses every year to beef up on product knowledge. As Mariska put it, “We want sommeliers behind the counter.”

Being a woman in the male-dominated Dutch cannabis industry, she said, wasn’t as difficult as one might expect. “It certainly wasn’t harder when I started 22 years ago, although I did expect some difficulty at first. But this soon turned out to be nonsense and those thoughts disappeared. Maybe it has been a little easier for me as a woman. At that time there were very few women in the cannabis industry, so for some it may have been a pleasant surprise, a fresh breeze in the business. And it can still often be positive.”

Mariska’s hard work and unconventional outlook does more than raise the standard for coffeeshops. She’s helping put an entirely new face on cannabis. “The shady image that some people still wrongly associate with coffeeshops disappears very quickly if I start talking,” she said. “Too many people don’t get that a coffeeshop is just a store. Apart from the backdoor problem, you can compare it to a wine shop.”

leafly
mokum

Post by mokum »

She is only correct on the not able to meet the white choco demand part. People all over the whole country was fiending for that legendary skunk.

Their so called bloc is just insulting to all trad. hash. Which took centuries to develop and now some cunt is claiming to have the ultimate product. Their hash dont have a full taste , no body and just a shitty buzz. Just go to dampkring of you like some new school hash. Super twizzla is in between old and new school and far more superior than the bloc shit.
WhiteAnimal420

Post by WhiteAnimal420 »

mokum wrote:Super twizzla is in between old and new school and far more superior than the bloc shit.
TRUE
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

I am in conflict with myself on that topic :lol:
mokum wrote:Their so called bloc is just insulting to all trad. hash. Which took centuries to develop and now some cunt is claiming to have the ultimate product.
I can see your point and that is the biggest problem I have with that. I mean that the great traditional genetics must be saved... on the other hand I think that is the way it goes automatically. Hash is not so popular anymore than it was in the past when hash was king. Mostly the younger people smoke only weed... so the "moroccans" for example surely looking for new genetics or new methods to sell more in the future to get the profit like back in the days... maybe it was only a question of time.
You see hash like that more and more over the whole NL and I don´t think that it all comes from Boerejongens or the same farmers.
mokum wrote:Their hash dont have a full taste , no body and just a shitty buzz.
Yeah the first examples I tried where a little like you told. Pretty smelly but the taste wasn´t really "full" and the high was nearly only in the head. But I enjoyed them also because I liked to have more variety especially as a mainly hash smoker. For the daytime it was pretty nice to smoke that stuff... because it hadn´t a real body effect and I was still in function :lol:. One time I scored some AM Bloc wich I wasn´t sure if they use maybe something to bind (very dark sticky smelly stuff) it but it burnt well and no signs of contamination or something... so I smoked it. A few days later someone wrote on the forum that he thinks that they use some stuff to bind it :shock: so the discussion started... you see sticky stuff like that more and more in Amsterdam and also budtenders are not sure on it. One budtender told me that they got offered hash like that from moroccans but they didn´t buy it because they think there is something other in it but he have no clue what it could be :?

The question is if you belive what they say... They say that it is so sticky only because of the new genetics and they also try to produce the hash only from the best buds of the plant. I tried to find out more about it but I don´t found anybody that can say it for 100%... some say it´s only because of the new genetics and others say it´s cut with something. Personally I think it´s pretty "clean" like any usual moroccan but that´s only my personal opinion because I found no signs for being cut but who knows.

Furthermore I have to say that the new bloc hashes are getting better and maybe more stable in my opinion. The hashes I tried in the
testing had much more body effect than the first batches I tried. I smoked only Kosher Choco Bloc ), AK Choco Bloc (now available) and Blue Dream Bloc for more than a month and I was pretty happy with it like with very good usual hash.
monster420

Post by monster420 »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by monster420 on Tue 20th Mar 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
gapie

Post by gapie »

funny fuckers they he said still 100 a 150 grams for 1 gram hash yeh right
thus 1 a 3 plants for 1 gram of hash trolololol
one plant 60 to 80 grams
GetHigh,DoStuff&Dont give a FUCK!
CopenhagenCouple

Have any of you guys watched that older documentary (think about an hour long) looking into hash production in the Rif, more or less all of it is in Moroccan, but texted if you find the right version on YouTube, I'll try to dig up a link... The thing is, and some will definitely not like this, they name similar numbers (100 to 1) for their top stuff and detail an explanation about the cascading principle that has also been explained here.

Now if we want to continue this debate on a rational basis and not just keep going "Boer are liars, they simply have to be", we need for someone to come up with a supporting hypothesis to expl why several sources independently of each other claim the same thing, especially since the nice Moroccan fella in the video, theat very much pre-dates the block hashes, specifically mentions that their first sieve is for local use. Such a hypothesis might be that Boer knew several years ago that this issue would be raised and somehow has colluded with the mentioned farmers so that they may give evidence that could later be used to support this claim from Boer or some other (pretty wild) theory.

In the current case we have a tendency to rely on old Ockham....
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
CopenhagenCouple

Here you go:

Skip to the 29:35 mark for the direct quote, paraphrased it goes "100 kg of plant gives about 1 kg of good hash"...

...and so we are back to that old bastard Ockham and his shaving utensils.
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol: