My City !

About ourselves.

Moderators: tuttiflutes, chillers2, Balou

geekymonkey

Re: My City !

Post by geekymonkey »

My city is grey grey grey this time of year, but the lake is still beautiful.

The Zürisee:

The pictures on this thread are great- thanks everyone for sharing! :D

Because life is too short to smoke bad bud.
geoffk

Post by geoffk »

http://mokum2006.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://mokum2008.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeD.

Post by MikeD. »

Sweet Home Chicago!

Cisco

Post by Cisco »

The Windy City is defo one of the Cities I would love to visit
-
cantona7
Location: Seattle- trips to the 'dam, 7 by the time i caught up with freedom i was out of breathe

Post by cantona7 »

always wondered why the us football association is in chicago. should be in seattle since we're footie town usa. :D
educating myself and waiting for the next trip.
instagram @shooter_mcdabbin
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Regeneration off Belfast`s docks, sheet metal building on the left is the new Titanic museum...id off preferred a working shipyard :wink:
KEEP ER LIT
gixxer

Post by gixxer »

craig_ulsterman wrote:Image

Regeneration off Belfast`s docks, sheet metal building on the left is the new Titanic museum...id off preferred a working shipyard :wink:
yeah £98m for a bunch of foreigners to have somewhere to go instead of useing the money to build housing and hospitals, or create jobs for locals, well done belfast city council, fuckin wankers
RIP Lee Rigby

a fallen brother
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

gixxer wrote:
craig_ulsterman wrote:Image

yeah £98m for a bunch of foreigners to have somewhere to go instead of useing the money to build housing and hospitals, or create jobs for locals, well done belfast city council, fuckin wankers
Yeah I mean what they saying ? we built this big fuckoff ship and it went out and sunk. well fuck me thats cool aint it. I'm an old seaman guys I've sailed ships into those docks for repairs and as I write this I can hear the rivet guns, day and night part of a live dockyard symphony. That gantry cranes a monument itself. :wink:

I feel for you guys. :wink:

Nice picture
What a long strange trip it is.
Rusty Shackleford

spidergawd wrote:we built this big fuckoff ship and it went out and sunk
As we say " It was working when it left here " :lol: :lol:

Always thought a full size replica would b a fitting tribute, even could be used as a static luxury hotel

Obviously docked in Carribean .....not the dirty Belfast Lagan :lol:
KEEP ER LIT
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Lovely day yesterday, went for a bike ride to meet a friend to visit the Imperial War Museum, in particular to view an exhibition of work by the Photographer Don Mccullin
http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-london

So I got to Battersea Park before I remembered I had my fancy new camera phone with me so this is my contribution to My City.

The Peace Pagoda. http://www.batterseapark.org/html/pagoda.html

And then further on to see a very interesting WW1 memorial to the 24th Division (Infantry) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24th_Divis ... Kingdom%29 made by Eric Kennington. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Kennington An infantryman who fought on the Somme and became a war artist, covering WW1 and WW11 when he was wounded and discharged from active service. I'm not particularly in to war stuff but this statue is one I do return to and one that never fails to move me.

The International Maritime Organisation

And a bit of Naval hardware outside the Imperial War Museum, a very interesting and thought provoking place for sure.

:D :D
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Nice Spidey thanks for sharing , I really must visit the IWM
-
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Was in Edinburgh at the weekend :wink:

Can't beat it when the sun is shining
-
Rusty Shackleford

Looking sweet over there Cisco 8)

Always wanted to visit Edinburgh, was meant to be working there a couple of months ago, got cancelled though :evil:
KEEP ER LIT
smokestaxlitenin

Post by smokestaxlitenin »

Boca...think beaches & lots of old peeps.
don't panic...smoke some organic....
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

I took a trip across town the other day, mainly to check out London’s latest toy which we shall come to know affectionately as the “Emirates Air Link” I’m sure. It is situated over in the East in the Docklands so an easy journey to where the O2 Arena is (Millennium Dome to the old people). Central line up to Green Park and Jubilee line to North Greenwich. I like the design of the Jubilee line stations on the new bit that goes East to Stratford, sort of oil rig architecture, brutal.

Pretty angular round that bit of town.

So this is it, its part of the transport infrastructure I find as opposed to a tourist attraction, about £3.20 to get across with a travel card and they even charge us wrinklies with our freedom passes, bastards.

Bloody hell, they’re still building it.

Nice views, it was one of our typical summer days....Pissing down, and I can’t take pictures.

That’s the Tidal Barrier piers, those things sticking up in the distance, supposed to give us city slickers a year or two after the Polar meltdown.

The apartments on the left in the last image are where the old Silvertown sugar refinery was, they left the cranes for decoration. I spent a few years on the sugar boats running to the West Indies 8), tales to tell, $40 US a kilo for the Blue Mountain quality from Savannah la mar.
We used to pass down our swag to the tug men when we came into the Estuary for the passage up river because there was a customs and excise training school at Maidstone and they used to love the sugar boats. :twisted:

And this is where the return transaction with the tug men took place, I almost wept for joy to see it still standing. Happy to say it’s one of the few buildings round there that’s being preserved.

Bit of Escher I think.

/\ /\ weird huh?

So that was a nice ride over and now back to town via the driverless docklands light railway, didn’t take a picture, and emerge back in old London at Tower hill.

The Merchant Navy Memorial at Tower hill and the Trinity House, they are the people that have been looking after the lighthouses and beacons for 100’s of years. Good guys. :D :)

And the very new.

Another day another mooch :D
Last edited by spidergawd on Tue 10th Jul 2012 05:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.