Football at the Olympics ?

Moderators: Balou, cantona7

Iko

Football at the Olympics ?

Post by Iko »

There has been alot of talk between the IOC and Fifa about getting football into the Olympics, what do you guys think ?
I think its an awesome idea.
The stumbling block is that like hockey it will disrupt your usual schedule once every 4 years.

Once In A while You Get Shown The Light
dope_demand

Post by dope_demand »

I take it you're talking about what us english call football, americans and canadians call soccer seeing as you mentioned FIFA. If so then it already is - http://www.olympic.org/en/content/Sports/

Would be interested what team they would play at 2012 if GB actually enter one. Apart from Bale can't think of any other not English players that would make it, maybe Fletcher at a push
gixxer

Post by gixxer »

football is played at the olympics :wink:
RIP Lee Rigby

a fallen brother
Iko

Post by Iko »

The interview i saw on TV was an IOC person, he said they were in talks with Fifa so the professionals would take the field, like how the changes were made for Tennis and Hockey.
cantona7
Location: Seattle- trips to the 'dam, 7 by the time i caught up with freedom i was out of breathe

Post by cantona7 »

Iko wrote:The interview i saw on TV was an IOC person, he said they were in talks with Fifa so the professionals would take the field, like how the changes were made for Tennis and Hockey.
dont forget basketball.

i kinda wish they would take the pros back out and have the younger guys play.
educating myself and waiting for the next trip.
instagram @shooter_mcdabbin
Iko

Post by Iko »

cantona7 wrote:
Iko wrote:The interview i saw on TV was an IOC person, he said they were in talks with Fifa so the professionals would take the field, like how the changes were made for Tennis and Hockey.
dont forget basketball.

Basketball is a tough one.
I want the best at the olympics regardless, but it would be really cool if the USA side fielded a mostly university or atleast rookie team.
cantona7
Location: Seattle- trips to the 'dam, 7 by the time i caught up with freedom i was out of breathe

Post by cantona7 »

if usa does it then those balkan countries should too..as well as spain and argentina. those guys can shoot the lights out.
dope_demand

Post by dope_demand »

No idea about basketball but in the footie they must field a team of mainly players under 23/24??? (cant find the exact age on the net) with 3 exceptions
Adamster

Post by Adamster »

cantona7 wrote:
dont forget basketball.

that what NHL wants for next winter Olimpic NO Pro NHL players! but some europiens players sayed if that the case theyll go play in the KHL till after the olimpics ;)

what i think! YOU BIPPIB BIP BIP F...ING BRIT LEARN HOW TO PLAY SOFTBALL! HAVE F...ing SOFTBALL AT o12 OLIMPICS!! and footy who care it a BIPPING BIP BIP Sport for F..S! :roll:
cantona7

Re:

Post by cantona7 »

Adamster wrote:
cantona7 wrote:
dont forget basketball.

that what NHL wants for next winter Olimpic NO Pro NHL players! but some europiens players sayed if that the case theyll go play in the KHL till after the olimpics ;)

what i think! YOU BIPPIB BIP BIP F...ING BRIT LEARN HOW TO PLAY SOFTBALL! HAVE F...ing SOFTBALL AT o12 OLIMPICS!! and footy who care it a BIPPING BIP BIP Sport for F..S! :roll:

just tried to babelfish this but didn't see a setting for adamster speak. haha jk man. :lol:
Adamster

Re: Football at the Olympics ?

Post by Adamster »

Bing bAng boom! NO BASEBALL at 2012 then NO FOOTY for the Little brits ppl! :evil:
CHELSEA_SMOKERS_SOCIETY

Post by CHELSEA_SMOKERS_SOCIETY »

olympic football is crap. end of.

much like the enitre olympics for that matter. roll on two weeks holiday somewhere well away from london in 2012.
Trips to the 'dam: 27
Mint

Post by Mint »

The Olympics is meant to be an "Amateur" event. i dont care if football is in it or not but players like Bale & Wilshire etc shouldnt be allowed to play they earn about 60k a week. Any player that plays in the top leagues of football shouldnt be allowed to play at the olympics IMO.
Mint