Smoking friendly Hotels\Hostels Centrum area

Accommodation related topics.
ForDarkseid

Smoking friendly Hotels\Hostels Centrum area

Post by ForDarkseid »

Hi

This is my first post, I am returning to the Dam in December for my 1st visit in 11 years and taking the GF

Im sure this has been asked multiple times and I am going through old topics, main reason im asking is I hear alot of places now dont allow smoking that maybe used to.

Basically looking for recommended places that have a Double\Twin room\ private toilet shower and no issue with toking in the room.

Preferred area would be around the Centrum\ Damrak with a Budget of around £250-£300s for 3 nights.

Tried the Green house effect but its booked as always,

Any thoughts on The Old Quarter, Budget Hotel Ben, Tulip Inn?

Thanks and apologises if this has been asked over and over

dlw

Re: Smoking friendly Hotels\Hostels Centrum area

Post by dlw »

Most hotels r non smoking unless they have a balcony
ForDarkseid

Post by ForDarkseid »

Surely the must still be some hovels that allow you to toke in your room with the windows open?
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

I'd only recommend a hovel if your girlfriend is as keen a smoker as you seem to be and wants to blaze from dawn to dusk. Otherwise, it's a false economy. Voyagers will probably be booked, but keep an eye out for cancellations, as it's eminently suitable. Also consider that places like Hotel Abba on Overtoom or Atlantis on Ceintuurbaan are technically not in the centre, but the Dam isn't like Paris or London. It's just a pleasant walk of 20 minutes or so away, or a tram if you're really lazy. Both offically allow smoking, and aren't shitholes, although the standard of cleanliness at the Abba wasn't great the last time I stayed there a couple of years back. Don't know if that was a trend or a blip, as I haven't been back since.
Papi

Post by Papi »

As long as you don't set the alarm off, every place is smoker friendly;d
Edibles on a plane is my middle fucking name
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Indeed. But in the Dam they range from those that don't really care as long as you're discreet to the ones with locked windows and big signs making it clear that they'd just love to catch you, fine you a few hundred euros and turf you out in the middle of the night. And even with the former, there's always that nagging feeling that someone will say something or catch a whiff, and even if you get off with a stern lecture, it'd be embarrassing. I've done it often enough, and never been caught, but I prefer honesty.
Papi

Post by Papi »

Truth is, in Amsterdam, i never felt much urge to smoke inside the hotel where there are plenty of canals or wherever where you can just enjoy your smoke not being surrounded with walls:D
Edibles on a plane is my middle fucking name
ForDarkseid

Post by ForDarkseid »

Thats better information thanks alot folks, ye the misses is a big toker. Just want a place chill in a room end of the night a have abed time J. not looking to spend hours each night blazing in the room.
MJ420

Post by MJ420 »

How about trying a cannabis friendly apartment? www.amsterdamstay.com
Scholesfan

Post by Scholesfan »

Old Quarter and Tulip Inn are strictly non smoking. No idea on Ben (looks a shit hole btw for the money).

Tulip Inn/Ben are next door to Babylon CS if thats any consolation.

Pretty hard pressed to find a half decent place that allows smoking in the rooms these days.

Perhaps try an Airbnb for an apartment with a terrace/balcony. Though Airbnb seems very expensive in Amsterdam when i've looked.
SmokerAMS

Post by SmokerAMS »

ForDarkseid wrote: Fri 1st Sep 2017 04:21 pm Hi

This is my first post, I am returning to the Dam in December for my 1st visit in 11 years and taking the GF

Im sure this has been asked multiple times and I am going through old topics, main reason im asking is I hear alot of places now dont allow smoking that maybe used to.

Basically looking for recommended places that have a Double\Twin room\ private toilet shower and no issue with toking in the room.

Preferred area would be around the Centrum\ Damrak with a Budget of around £250-£300s for 3 nights.

Tried the Green house effect but its booked as always,

Any thoughts on The Old Quarter, Budget Hotel Ben, Tulip Inn?

Thanks and apologises if this has been asked over and over
Unfortunately there is a European law that prevents hotels from allowing customers to smoke inside, there is a standard 300 euro fine for people who get caught.

Personally, before I moved to Amsterdam, I stayed in all types of hotels, the more expensive the less they check on you or seem to mind smoking at the window, on the budget front; "Tulipp Inn" near the RLD was a good one, had big double bay windows for a low price if you catch my drift; - hope this helps!
ForDarkseid

Post by ForDarkseid »

I got booked up in Hotel Abba on Overtoom near Vondelpark. Smoker friendly, with a Balcony and very good price £220 for a double for 3 nights with private WC. Very basic but good bloody reviews for something so basic. Location is 10 mins from leidseplein area too which is great. so managed to get a return flight for me and the good lady for £120 + £220 for room = £340 all in for 2 peeps is very good. Ill let you all know what its like
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

I've stayed there quite a few times, and mostly liked it -- well, I wouldn't go back if I didn't, would I? It's conveniently located over a supermarket, and handy for all sorts of interesting places. The last time I went, though, a couple of years back, standards seemed to have slipped -- my room wasn't all that clean, and when the shower was trashed by some idiots, the staff didn't seem particularly interested. It might have been a one-off blip, so it would be nice to have an up-to-date report. Also, to know whether the elderly cat is still around.
Last edited by Fat_old_dwarf on Thu 5th Oct 2017 02:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ForDarkseid

Post by ForDarkseid »

Will do...
tinky

Post by tinky »

Hotel International Warmoesstraat 1-3, 100% smoking hotel. advises on booking.com all rooms are smoking rooms.

I use this hotel if no double/twin rooms available at Voyagers .

Also Dotties studio on Air BnB is another i'd recommend , a few minutes walk from katsu