Grinders - what do we care?

Hardware and techniques: joints, pipes and vaporisers.
2stick

Grinders - what do we care?

Post by 2stick »

Short and simple:

Material?
2-3-4 parts?
Shape of the teeth?
Kief catchers?
Brand?
Price-performance?
...or do you shred by hand or have a cutting board? Why?

I'll start with my shiny new thing..

Anodized aluminium - because interwebs tells me it is the thing now..
2 parts - cannot see why I would want to catch kief outside my bowl?
Santa Cruz's shaped teeth, "it shreds" - again interwebs told me so..
Brand played a big part here, it was either this or Space Case since I wanted a "top brand" grinder.
Price-performance... well, it does make really fluffy grind or should I say shred of the materials, but I cannot help thinking that 3eur/freebie acrylic grinder really grinds the 'erbs in to smokable consistency.

No peer pressures, if people have own and/or better choices and devices - let them be seen and heard!

I went and got this (Gun metal, medium 2-part - 7cm, Santa Cruz Shredder):

worldcitizen1723

Re: Grinders - what do we care?

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

i love the 4 part space case going strong at least 5 years.

as for the kief - imho you waste less with the catcher and it's a bonus gift when you open that bottom
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

I have a two part space case my buddy bought me as a gift nearly 10 years ago. Still in great shape - no missing teeth. Looks and operates like brand new after an ISO bath.

I don't care for the kief catching craze - I have no idea why I would want to save trichomes for later in a shitty quality Drysift. Totally bonkers in my opinion.

I bust nugs by hand for burning in a glass bowl - but it has to be ground for the vape. No question.
treetop

Post by treetop »

I want a good grinder. Which is a good one to get?
How much did you produce?
2stick

Post by 2stick »

worldcitizen1723 wrote: as for the kief - imho you waste less with the catcher and it's a bonus gift when you open that bottom
OneHighMofo wrote:I don't care for the kief catching craze - I have no idea why I would want to save trichomes for later in a shitty quality Drysift. Totally bonkers in my opinion.
This seems to be an issue in many places in teh interwebs, many people say that the gained keif is a bonus in a keif catcher. Others say that it is put aside kief in every grind, thus losing in potency of your grind.. Truely, kief catchers do catch beautiful or not so bountiful kief and alas every grinder gets stuck when too much resin is in the device. Maybe 2-part grinders get more easily stuck as resin is stuck between moving parts..

As tempting as catching every 20g some special bonus to sprinkle on your joint sounds, I chose on the 2-part device, why? Times when I get to grind 20g or so are pretty rare for me and for what I've learned - you can grind very very fine grind suitable for vaporizers more easily with 2-part grinder. Every tool has it's job as they say. That being said, I don't know how my tool of choice will perform with some dark squidgy hash and weed - it surely will be a chore it has to do when I'm in town in two weeks.
2stick

Post by 2stick »

treetop wrote:I want a good grinder. Which is a good one to get?
I would get Santa Cruz Shredder, the reasons are stated above.. it costs more than normal grinder - but then again, it lasts many years.

Your question is pretty much the reason why I put up this post. :)
Papi

Post by Papi »

best grinder ever. eot:D
Edibles on a plane is my middle fucking name
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

I have two non-brand name 3-part grinders I use. One creates a more fine powder-esque mulch, so I use that for the Volcano. The other creates bigger, less finely ground herbs, so I use that for the bong.
I do agree that the part ones, can create a finer ground end product, but I find that usually to be the case for the plastic ones (specifically the one that comes with Volcano, with the pyramid shaped teeth).

In the end though, I think you lose just about as much unobtainable kief that's stuck to the teeth of the grinder in a two-piece. In addition to keeping and extra-reserve system, of more potent product (bowl topping, potency-adder, hash pressing, rosin tech), a three-piece set w/ a kief-catcher, provides something to contain and consolidate your leftover nuggetry if you accidentally grind up too much.
Last edited by Nuggz on Sun 5th Jul 2015 05:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dconstrukt

Post by dconstrukt »

The magic flight box MICRO GRINDER.

if you vape this thing makes it next level. just make sure you have a screen. :)
Black-King

Post by Black-King »

I love to break up the weed with my hands :mrgreen:
RASTAFARI RIGHTEOUS KINGDOM http://rastafari-christ.webs.com/
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

I took one of these on my last trip and gave it away before I left:

Chromium Crusher 2.5 Inch 4 Piece Tobacco Spice Herb Grinder - Gun Metal
by Chromium Crusher
4.5 out of 5 stars 1,398 customer reviews | 28 answered questions
#1 Best Sellerin Food Grinders & Mills
Price: $9.95 Free Shipping for Prime Members
Bob2

Post by Bob2 »

anyone own a red eye crystal tip 5 piece grinder ?? its 2 grinders in 1, when going out the extra piece makes it a 2 part when at home you make a a 4 part. i want the santa cruz shredder but im cheap as and my shitty 99p dna seeds grinder has worked perfectly for over 3 years
CloudMaster

Post by CloudMaster »

MinnBobber

Post by MinnBobber »

I went with the Santa Cruz Shredder SCS 3 piece as I have no desire to have a kief catcher section.

Fluffs it nice for vaping.
A nice compartment to store excess/ much easier to load from that portion than from inter-mixed in the teeth in a 2 piece
Smooth smooth action
It threads together superbly
High quality machining
Great finish, mine is matte gun metal grey

Note that I also have a high quality tweezer that I use to pluck out tiny tiny nugs to vape, instead of grinding as it leaves the trichs more intact
Tried to add a pic but file too large...
Smirks

Post by Smirks »

Welcome to the forum wahoshoo. I'd suggest introducing yourself and the situation in the introductions section as your post is not appropriate for the thread, which has not been active for over a year.

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2