UK: PROF NUTT CALLS FOR ROYAL COMMISSION TO EXPLORE CANNABIS

Puffin13

UK: PROF NUTT CALLS FOR ROYAL COMMISSION TO EXPLORE CANNABIS

Post by Puffin13 »

PROF. NUTT CALLS FOR ROYAL COMMISSION TO EXPLORE CANNABIS DECRIMINALISATION
19 November 2009
Source: BBC News

Sacked government drugs adviser Prof David Nutt has called for a Royal Commission to investigate whether cannabis should be decriminalised.

Prof Nutt told the BBC the possibility of allowing Dutch-style cannabis cafes should be "explored".

But his call comes as another academic is due to publish a study highlighting the possible links between the drug and schizophrenia.

"The more you smoke, the higher the risk," Prof Robin Murray told the BBC.

Prof Nutt told Radio 4’s The Report that a Royal Commission on decriminalising the use of cannabis was a "sensible" idea and it could have "big health benefits."

He added: "We’ve seen some countries like Portugal make real progress in terms of drug-related crime and drug-related harms by decriminalising drugs of personal use.

"You could make a moral position that why should people be imprisoned for possessing something that effectively will only harm themselves?"

Prof Nutt said: "I certainly am interested in the idea that we might de-penalise possession and even allow the Dutch model for cannabis - the coffee shops - which could potentially have many benefits.

"I think it’s perfectly sensible to think about the Dutch model for cannabis and explore whether that might be a tenable way of allowing young people to get an intoxicant which is safer than alcohol, and which they could then use in a controlled, safe environment."

He suggested that "trial towns" might be set up for an experiment.

Prof Nutt was sacked three weeks ago from his post as head of The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) by Home Secretary Alan Johnson, who accused him of campaigning against the government’s decision to reclassify cannabis as a Class B drug.

The professor had attacked what he called the "artificial" separation of alcohol and tobacco from illegal drugs and said smoking cannabis created only a "relatively small risk" of psychotic illness.

Skunk and psychosis

But this view is challenged by research due to be published next month by Robin Murray, professor of psychiatry at the Institute of Psychiatry, who said that eight studies published since 2002 had shown that the risk of developing schizophrenia or psychotic symptoms was higher in those who used cannabis.

He told The Report the risk increased in younger cannabis users and those who smoked skunk, the more potent strain of the drug.

"Our evidence was that if you started smoking by the age of 18, then you’re about one-and-a-half times more likely to go psychotic by the time you are 26," said Prof Murray.

"If you start by 15, you’re four and a half times more likely."

He said that traditional studies showed that 8% to 15% of all schizophrenia cases could be attributed to cannabis but he added: "More recently, our evidence from south London is that it’s more like 20% and I think that is associated with skunk."

Prof Murray also said 20% of all the people who developed schizophrenia would not do so if people did not smoke cannabis, and in particular skunk. "I think that would be worthwhile," he added.

Prof Nutt said Prof Murray’s was an important study but "we need to know if it is replicated across the country".

He added: "I’m not saying cannabis is safe, it is a dangerous drug, but the majority of people who use do not come to any serious harm."

Prof Nutt said it was difficult to tell if the drug was more dangerous to adolescents.

*The Report is on BBC Radio 4 on Thursday, 19 November at 2000 GMT.. After broadcast download the podcast.

Source

Cannabis is The Tree of Life
doobydave

Post by doobydave »

Prof Nutt said it was difficult to tell if the drug was more dangerous to adolescents.
Impossible, more like, all the time these studies are carried out upon subjects that the researchers have no control over (Have they ONLY ever taken weed?) and on the product in question which the researchers also have no control over.

As processes go, this is scientifically flawed.

Keep it up, Mr Nutt, don't let this issue lie.

Edit.
Also, with evidence pointing to the fact that the harm of a drug is not what dictates policy, so what?
Evidence also shows that adolescents have easier access to prohibited substances, so I am assuming this Professor Murray wants weed legalised as well?
echc1

Post by echc1 »

bravo Dr Nutt,keep up the good fight....it's nice to see that he's using the logical arguement to fight for us.......the dutch example is great,legalisation would be even better,but the dutch example would be a good start....the science has proved the arguement now the only thing stopping it is political expediency
Sir Niall of Essex-sire

Post by Sir Niall of Essex-sire »

So no-ones going to comment on the new study?
Defeating evil with a thing called love
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

At least they are talking now what is a bonus,They like to use the word "slapped down" each time weed is brought up,Pitty they didnt slap down tobbaco & bars.
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

I am one tourist who would spend my money were I can find a "coffee shop". And the dollar is stronger to the Sterling than it is to the Euro right now.
Kingdoc

Post by Kingdoc »

Willjay wrote:I am one tourist who would spend my money were I can find a "coffee shop". And the dollar is stronger to the Sterling than it is to the Euro right now.

Scotland has spoke about this coffeeshop issue many times before but nothing has ever come of it,Maybe this time something will change somewhere! for to long they have ignored this while greedy gangsters have got rich.
sh@dy

Post by sh@dy »

Sir Niall of Essex-sire wrote:So no-ones going to comment on the new study?
we all know, its no argument for weed being illegal,just because some people will get shizophrenia....I dont know anyone who this happened to as well :)
mark the martian

Post by mark the martian »

Aww come on guys, don't you know anyone that smoked heaps of weed when they were in their young teens and now they're different? It's stupid that it's criminalised, but it's a fair call that when kids binge of weed it can change them permanently
doobydave

Post by doobydave »

Joining the army and being sent to kill foreigners changes people permanently, but they can advertise that on the telly.
mark the martian

They also advertise fatty foods which kills heaps of people all the time, they advertise meat which involves farming and killing animals, sweatshop clothing etc etc

And for the record, you don't ever HAVE to fight in an army (in western countries). You can always object or get out of it. Although I've read horror stories about what they did to torture conscientious objectors during WWI and II...

Sorry massive off topic
Boner

Post by Boner »

mark the martian wrote:they advertise meat which involves farming and killing animals
If theres a way to eat meat without farming & killing animals then please let us know. :lol:
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
mark the martian

There isn't, you eat meat you have to kill animals. I was just throwing it in there as an example of things that are totally 'normal' but are actually kind of messed up

Hehe, it's weird, at first I read your reply as meaning 'you have to eat meat, so how else do you get meat?' But then I realised that I'm really really baked.
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Kingdoc, Scotland is on the short list of places I want to visit.
sh@dy

Post by sh@dy »

mark the martian wrote:Aww come on guys, don't you know anyone that smoked heaps of weed when they were in their young teens and now they're different? It's stupid that it's criminalised, but it's a fair call that when kids binge of weed it can change them permanently
I dont know anyone of that kind sorry......that doesnt mean they dont exist, I just say, if this was a real problem I would have seen much more people :)