Things you've always meant to do...

Culture, Events, Tourism, Living and Working there, etc.
Smith2

Things you've always meant to do...

Post by Smith2 »

...but never done in Amsterdam or on a trip to the Netherlands, for whatever reason.

I'll get my two most embarrassing ones out of the way – using a vapouriser and cycling. In my youth I could handle things like Marble Arch, but I keep feeling my nerve would fail me in a city where I wasn't planning to be 100% sober all the time, and where traffic could come from anywhere. And I'd cycled in East Berlin, where the presence of trams couldn't have been said to enrich the experience. Not having been on a bike for 15 years, it would probably hurt a bit as well.

Eating one of those heavy-on-the-meat meals like ribs. With limited time in Mokum, I've never felt like handing over not only the hour or so it would take to eat the food, but the several ones afterwards as my body tries sluggishly to digest it all. To say nothing of the comedown effect. I'll probably never achieve this one unless I move there to live.

See a film at Pathé Tuschinski. I'm not that much of a buff and there's almost never anything on I want to see. Thought I might make it this last visit, but time constraints didn't allow it.

Visit the funeral museum. Or the tropical one, for that matter, which seems popular, but the former sounds idiosyncratically Dutch.

Visit coffeeshops XYZ. The list always changes, but there are at least three that I mean to go to on any given trip, either because I've never been there or because of current recommendations, and there are always at least three that I never make it to.

I'm sure there's more, but what are yours?
Last edited by Smith2 on Fri 31st May 2013 09:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quazer

Re: Things you've always meant to do...

Post by Quazer »

_
Last edited by Quazer on Fri 7th Jun 2013 04:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sailor59

Post by Sailor59 »

Love the Tropen Museum.

My personal goal is to get to Birdys in Haarlem. The last effort saw me burn a quick one in Voyagers before getting on the train and getting off in...... Den Helder. CS Tops was a nice one there. Next time, next time. :oops:
Matroos negenenvijftig
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Climb the stairs of a kerk toren.

Cycle.

Knock someone deserving it, into a filthy canal.
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

Smoke LA con

Museumnacht or Museum night. (Sal got sick when we were there and missed it) :(

Go to Westerpark, we stayed maybe four blocks away and didn't get that it was that close. :(

Go to can't remember the name again damn! A coffeeshop, I'll edit after I look.

Go to the pollinator store.
I don't take drugs, I am Drugs.
ftcarer

Post by ftcarer »

Hire a bike , visit any of the museums, take time to visit more of the parks , (Erasmus & Sarphati(sp)so far), spend more time out of Centrum, visit more of the Netherlands in general , eat as much hutspot and meatballs as possible , find the woman beggar/stalker from 2010 and find out if she ever did get back to Chicago :lol:
Still a few of you ACD nutcases i'd like to meet :twisted: :mrgreen:
Sending out the good vibes to those that need them right now :-)
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

We did this one in 011 ...very cool scene . 3 CSs in the Centrum festival area .

http://www.eventindeventer.nl/deventero ... a_2013.php

A do-able day trip even from Amsterdam ... Deventer worth a visit anytime , but this is Special .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99013904@N00/page1/
Kid Chavez

Post by Kid Chavez »

1) Cycle
2) Visit Voyagers.. :oops: ...though I'm going to rectify that in Aug.
3) Vondelpark
4) Explore De Pijp
Trips Completed: 18
Trips Scheduled: 0
Grunt

Post by Grunt »

Segway puggled

Gonna head back soon as it has been a while.

:mrgreen:
Happy Happy........ Joy Joy
winnie

Post by winnie »

Start a campaign to ban groups of bloody segways on de fietspaden
tuttiflutes

Post by tuttiflutes »

I want one, NO, I NEED one! They are so fun! I rode one is Washington DC and decided then it would be my business here, but the laws at the time didn't allow them.. So I chose a nother business idea and you know that result ;).. I do agree the big groups look silly! =0 but personal transportation, oh yeah! Great for disability too as some are disabled from walking not standing.... Just don't like helmets! Actually Segway uses the same power as electric wheelchair and is based on the same motorization. 12mph is very fast and so easily maneuvered with little to no servicing cept to replace tires .... I knew it would be big here! I am seeing more and more.. There is also a dealership in Ijburg!
YOU have to try it, it is like flying when you let it rip (the tours are dumb!)... stops and turns on a dime too.. and a hell of a lot nicer than scooters on the fietspad.. I wonder if the dealership lets you take solo TEST ride? Still not seeing any solo rides!

tutti
May you shit rise up & KISS you on the face
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

ya can rent em over by that nice hotel across the way next to central on the right :mrgreen: ...ill stick to powerslides on the scooter :D
rockin into the night
Adamster

Post by Adamster »

for 10 years been saying this year im going to Anne franks house ...still havent done it!!
in 2002 my friend wanted to go to the rijksmuseum told him next year when we come back :roll: was closed till this year..and i never did the other museums in pleins :roll: took me 8 trip to get to the Keukenhof Graden < and i regret that what a waste of money OMG!! once there to see the real deal they want ya to pay more $$$ < want i call tourist traps!! and few shop i never made it to also on the list of thing not none must do next time ;)
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

club a baby seal to death :mrgreen:
rockin into the night
Marco

Post by Marco »

USBONGLORD wrote:club a baby seal to death :mrgreen:
I actually got to de that earlier this year. It was a special event at Artis.