Organic biologische weed

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
Freewheeling

Organic biologische weed

Post by Freewheeling »

I have sometimes been a bit surprised that there aren't many places selling organic (biologische) weed. I think that in all the times that I have been in coffee shops over about the past decade I have probably only had the opportunity to buy organic produce a couple of times, and they were both quite a while ago (one was in the Cannaries). Of the, admittedly fairly limited, number of home growers that I have known there has always been a bit of a tendency towards organic cultivation, even if not strictly organic. That might well be because they are producing for themselves, and are inclined towards quality over quantity, but I don't see any reason why the same principle wouldn't apply to people buying too. The Netherlands is a country where all the main supermarkets have a biologische section, and even entirely organic supermarkets aren't unknown, although they look to be more at the boutique end of things. Whether there is that much overlap between weed smokers and concerns about the environment that might lead to people favouring organic products amongst those that are keeping the Dutch coffee shops in business I have no idea. Is it more common than I think, or is there some other reason why it's not such a popular thing?

Not_the_monk

Re: Organic biologische weed

Post by Not_the_monk »

I wonder how much the simple answer to this is the "backdoor problem"?

I've seen things labelled as organic in the past but like a lot of things in the vast majority of coffeeshops, very specific information about the origins of any strain is kinda a lottery. I would imagine that in the commercial sector the demand isn't really there or else more of a big thing would be made of it as much for an excuse for charging more € as anything else, but maybe the level of demand isn't there because the reliability would be exceptionally hard to establish in the first place?