Hammy hits Amsterdam...

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Hammy

Hammy hits Amsterdam...

Post by Hammy »

I’ve been reading and posting on here for a few months now and have always thoroughly enjoyed and found extremely useful the travelogues that members on here have posted. So I felt that after my first proper trip to Amsterdam it was only right to post up my own experiences in the hope that they can be as helpful as some of the others that I’ve had the pleasure of reading. I have a rather long writing style so I hope it’s not too long winded for all of you, all the same I hope you enjoy the read…

Day 0, 20th August 2009

Nope, not a typo. I definitely need to explain what went down on this day. After picking up our A level results we went for a drink… starting at about midday. Numerous drinks later we headed home at about midnight, so 12 hours of drinking, including 3 hours at a cocktail bar. You can imagine how we felt when we realised that the amount of drinking that had happened, followed by about 3 hours sleep was not gonna have us set up well for a 6.45am flight.

Day 1, 21st August 2009

Waking up at 4.30am felt like death after the events of the night before. One of my friends had stayed over that night and with our lack of sleep we piled into the car that my dad had offered to drive to the airport and headed to pick up our last friend. After the short trip to the airport check in and the flight were pretty much uneventful.

And so we hit the floor at Schipol with a spring in our step. Walk. Tickets. Train. The look on my mates faces as we all walked out of Centraal station into the sun of Amsterdam was great; “finally we’re here”. At this point perhaps I should explain that I’ve in fact been to A’dam before but no smoking took place, so I treated this effectively as my virgin trip. Indeed I was struck by the obvious beauty of the place, but perhaps not as much as the others as I’d been before.

Dodging all the trams, bikes, buses, mopeds, cars, lorries and in fact virtually anything with wheels was certainly an interesting experience when we were all still half asleep from the night before. Walking down the Damrak I was amazed at how empty it seemed, until I remembered it was still only just past 10 in the morning. We walked via Dam square and Damstraat to Oude Hoogstraat where our accommodation place was located. We couldn’t get in the room yet so went back out and grabbed something to eat quickly.

Then on to our first coffeeshop. We had hoped to experience Basjoe but as we walked down to it we saw that it was still shut, so we turned on our heels and headed back up towards the Nieuwmarkt and The Green Place. Our first coffeeshop! I have to say, it is certainly a unique experience; buying something you’d usually consider illegal over the counter in such a friendly environment. Here we decided on 1g of Silver Haze at €12/g and 2g of Amnesia Haze also at €12/g. We liked the look and feel of this place, nice variety on the menu and a good selection of drinks, which all seemed to be €2, a fair price. Perhaps a bit dingy inside, but looked as if there were enough seats which all looked comfortable and it was spacious and airy enough. The weather was fantastic so we sat outside and smoked a spliff of both the hazes. The silver haze smelt very fruity and tasted just as good, followed by the Amnesia haze which had a classic hazey smell and very piney taste when smoked; lovely. We sat down for a while here and enjoyed the passing of Amsterdam life and our view over the Nieuwmarkt while we experienced a nice clear high from the weed.

Silver Haze, The Green Place

After sitting in here for a while we phoned up our other mates and decided to meet up at the Bulldog energy coffeeshop as they were in the Bulldog hostel just next door. It should be noted that from now onwards we probably bought more weed than I can remember, so all I list is probably not all we smoked (hard to keep track when there’s 6 buying!) We didn’t buy anything other than drinks in here but sat down and listened to the repetitive trance type music which got old quite quickly so we didn’t spend ages in here. The seats weren’t too comfortable and it’s not hard to see how this place got its label as a bit of a tourist trap.

We split and headed to our place for a few spliffs while our other mates showered. After we were nice and baked again we decided to go for a walk… to Vondelpark. This took ages and we must’ve gone such a strange way, in the future I would certainly just get the tram if I’m honest. However, on the way we did find Mellow Yellow. I was so happy to stumble across this of all coffeeshops, we walked in and hit a major stumbling block; us getting ID’d and one of us not having any (forgot it, doh!) so he had to leave while the rest of us sorted ourselves with weed for the park. Here we bought 1g of S5 Haze at €14/g and 1g of Chocolope at €14/g plus a couple of grams of other stuff that I didn’t write down. We smoked up a few spliffs in here, had a drink and hit quite a few bags from the Volcano upstairs. I liked it in here, cool, airy, comfortable and bright. The S5 haze was a nice haze, had a good taste and nice high, but for that much I’d probably expect something a bit more special. The Chocolope was also nice, smelt sublime and smoked very well, just generally a nice smoke.

After our time here we had to leave more prematurely than we would have normally as our mate had been waiting outside all that time. We continued on our walk down towards Vondelpark but first stumbled on the Museumplein and just thought feck it, sit down on the grass behind the Van Gogh museum. Rather quickly however we decided that despite how sunny it was it was too damn windy to roll and we’d already smoked all our spliffs so we decided to search out another coffeeshop.

After a bit of a walk from the Museumplein we ended up at Dolphins coffeeshop. Another IDing and my mate called it quits and started the walk back to get his ID. The rest of us stayed here, got a booth downstairs and some drinks, averaging about €2.40 a drink. Here the menu was posted on the wall and all the weed and hash was pre-bagged in little grease-proof paper baggies. We bought 1g Royal Dolphin maroc at €10/g, 1.5g Jamaican for €10 and 3g Northern Lights at €10/g. It was comfy as hell here and we got a bong for a €10 deposit and smoked up quite a bit. Can’t say that the Jamaican or NL were really good or bad, just pretty normal filler weeds really. The Royal Dolphin was nice though, a nice sweet smelling, softish dark hash which smoked well either in a bong or a spliff to give a very strong body stone with seemingly heightened senses, especially auditory.

After this we strolled back up towards Dam square and grabbed some food from somewhere along the way, too stoned to remember where or what and onto Basjoe. This time it was open as it was now approaching about 7 in the evening. Here we bought 1g Jamaican at €4/g, 1g Orange Bud at €7/g, 3g Cheese at €12/g plus I’m sure someone bought a couple of grams of the Bas Special. Smoked up quite a few joints outside and enjoyed the view, again just enjoying watching people pass by about their business. The sad thing here is how much Basjoe didn’t live up to my expectations. I suppose the first thing that put a downer on it for me was how we were asked for ID, not really rudely but hardly in the most polite of manners when we had done nothing but be pleasant. The interior of the shop didn’t seem like anything special but the weed was of a fairly high standard and sitting outside the shop was most pleasant. The cheese and orange bud were very nice smokes, tasty, pongy and very attractive weed. Again, the Jamaican was standard filler. This smoke knocked us out however so we staggered back round the corner to our place and crashed out for a few hours.

Orange Bud, Basjoe

That evening we went out again about 11 after several spliffs and multiple bongs back at our place and marvelled at the surroundings of Dam square, Damstraat and the lower end of the RLD (not many windows), grabbed some food and drinks for the night and headed back to our place to smoke what was left from day 1…

Day 2 and more to come..

Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Hey Hammy great start to the trip (well apart from gettin pissed the nite before :lol: ) Sounds like the prices in TGP have gone up since June/july ? lookin forward to the rest of your report :wink:
-
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Great read 8)
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Day 2, 22nd August 2009

Felt quite lethargic after the (failed) attempt the night before to smoke up everything that everyone had left from the day. Getting up at 9 didn’t happen as we had planned, managed about 10. Spliff, shower, bong, in that order; god I love Amsterdam! It didn’t take us long to finish off the job of the night before and so we headed out about 11.30 feeling very dazed from our early morning efforts.

So we walked down Damstraat again and headed out to Grey Area for the 12 o’clock opening, actually getting there a little early in the end. I needed some money so we headed back towards Dam square to get some cash (that’s one thing I did notice about Amsterdam: there only seems to be about 15 cash points in the whole centrum) and of course, sods law, when we got back to Grey Area at 12.15 all the seats were full. Despite this we decided to buy and fly as we had heard so much about Grey Area weed and so we got 1g of Yellow Cab at €7.50/g and 2g of Grey Haze at €11.50/g. I’ll elaborate on the actual coffeeshop later as we did indeed return.

After the disappointment of just missing getting a seat in Grey Area we decided to head round the corner to Amnesia as I knew how close it was. Walking in we were instantly surprised, definitely seemed like more of a high class place, nicely laid out, plenty of seating inside and out, just felt pleasant in here. We bought 1g Laughing Buddha at €12/g and 1g G13 Haze at €13/g. I also borrowed a nice clean GonG bong for a €20 deposit. We smoked quite a lot here, also smoking up the stuff we had bought in Grey Area. The Yellow Cab proved to be a good smoke, nice flavour, good stone and nice looking buds; a good bargain at that price! The Grey Haze was great, again a really fruity, hazey smell, nice big buds and lovely and crystally looking. Proved to be just as nice when smoked, tasted great and a strong high that left me thoroughly appreciating my surroundings. The weed from Amnesia was also good, I stuck to the G13 Haze to maintain my hazey high. Another nice weed, smoked well, tasted good and intensified the high from the Grey Haze. The Laughing Buddah was a nice smoke also, tasted good but more of a stone really and didn’t get any of us giggling like some people have reported. Another thing that really impressed us about this place was the food and drink menu, we sampled mango and chocolate milkshakes and the cheese and cheese & ham toasties as well, all really good and reasonably priced.

G13 Haze, Amnesia

After our stint in Amnesia we decided to head back up to our place and smoke what was left from the first purchases. After smoking a lot of this it was time again to head out and meet our friends at the Bulldog, where we grabbed a few beers at the bar. After meeting them we strolled around almost randomly until we reached the 420 café and decided to head in to get some drinks and weed. Here we bought 1g of Neville’s Haze at €13/g, 1g of 420 Kush at €12/g, 1g of Blueberry at €10/g and 1g of White Widow at €10/g. I remember the Neville’s Haze being a very very nice smoke, if I’m honest this kinda blew me away. Floaty, chatty and a lovely high. Contender for best weed for sure. Can’t remember the rest I’m afraid!

Neville's Haze, 420 café

420 Kush, 420 café

I know after this we headed out for a look round the RLD and we were all pretty much amazed at a lot of the talent on display but none of us had the money or willingness to get involved. Maybe some beers somewhere then we crashed out after I smoked some of the 420 Kush, which I remember knocking me out for the count. This was the night where 2 of us slept in our clothes, on top of our covers, with the TV on. We were pretty messed up really.

More to come...
metal4mullets

Post by metal4mullets »

Well done :)

Basjoe is quite nice to chill at when parked outside.

You guys must look pretty young because my fiancé was only carded once and she looks barely-legal ;) The shops don't want to lose their licenses so don't take it personally.
cant_think

Post by cant_think »

Sweet report...
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

metal4mullets wrote:You guys must look pretty young because my fiancé was only carded once and she looks barely-legal ;) The shops don't want to lose their licenses so don't take it personally.
Nah I'm fine with being ID'd, it was just a bit of a ball ache when he forgot his ID. On the whole we don't look that young, I barely ever get ID'd in the UK despite being only just 18. But yeah, we got ID'd in like 70-80% of places for weed, but not once for alcohol.
mark the martian

Post by mark the martian »

Different age laws
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Not for spirits 8)
metal4mullets

Post by metal4mullets »

Forgot that I wanted to say that I'm glad you like Amnesia. This ended up being our favorite shop to chill at for sure. The benches outside are the shiznit. Again, you're spot on with how awesome their food/drink selection is as well. If you go back, make sure to get a "Refreshing Drink" and let us know what you think :)

Also, Grey Area is one of the greatest places on Earth, IMO.
StonedSince67

Re: Hammy hits Amsterdam...

Post by StonedSince67 »

Hammy wrote:The sad thing here is how much Basjoe didn’t live up to my expectations. I suppose the first thing that put a downer on it for me was how we were asked for ID, not really rudely but hardly in the most polite of manners when we had done nothing but be pleasant.
don't worry, under his gruff exterior the budtender is really just a lovely guy, over time you will see this side of him too

thanks for the report, congrats on the a-level results, looking forward to the news of day 2 ...
mark the martian

Post by mark the martian »

Yeah that guy, James I think he is, was a bit gruff to me too but he was also really helpful and smiley :D
stew1974

Post by stew1974 »

great report. Next time, i think you'll agree there will be another visit :D , take the buds out of the bags to photograph, much better. Not meant to be criticism so i'll repeat myself and accentuate. Fucking great report man, i'm looking forward to the rest. Top one. :)
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

stew1974 wrote:great report. Next time, i think you'll agree there will be another visit :D , take the buds out of the bags to photograph, much better. Not meant to be criticism so i'll repeat myself and accentuate. Fucking great report man, i'm looking forward to the rest. Top one. :)
Thanks a lot mate, taking me fooking ages to write so excuse the fact the next day isn't up yet. Ye I realised about the bud pictures when I looked back over my photos, but tbh I don't even remember taking half of them I was too stoned!
cheese

Post by cheese »

cool write up so far with pictures to boot!

thanks for sharing.
' Smoke em if you got em '