LLMReb's XI Trip - April 2017 King's Day (now w/ photos!)

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
LLMReb

LLMReb's XI Trip - April 2017 King's Day (now w/ photos!)

Post by LLMReb »

This trip is my ELEVENTH trip to AMS, and I'm super excited. I booked this trip in November, and thereafter I read this Forum regularly in anticipation of the trip. Visiting AMS is reason enough to be excited, but this trip is very special. My wife has always wanted to visit AMS during King's Day, so we are thrilled about this visit. And as if those 2 reasons were not enough, last year our family expanded to three, and the little buddy is tagging along for his first trip to Europe, which could be no other destination than AMS!

In this initial entry, I'm going to spare you the preparations I made before heading out. I'm plan to provide an entry on pre-trip preparation, not that it is overly interesting, but I enjoy reading what other people do to get ready. Anyway, see, I'm already getting off topic. Here we go:

Trip: Fly from US on April 23 (Saturday) and return on April 29 (Saturday).

Accommodation: Houseboat on Stadhourderskade about 2 blocks from Ibiza/Carmona/Yo-Yo. Excellent houseboat. If you have never stayed on a houseboat, you should treat yourself. I cannot say enough about relaxing on a houseboat!

OK, before I get started, just in case any of you travel with kids, the little sky bassinet on the airplane is a complete waste. Don't bother. Otherwise, travelling with a 9 month old was actually not that bad at all. The good Lord knows that if I can do it, anyone can.

Day One

Landed without any fanfare. Normally I love the train. I've waxed poetic in prior Trip Reports about waiting in line to purchase the train ticket, then riding the train and viewing AMS from the exit of Centraal Station. Oh man, it is a favorite. Nevertheless, as a compromise with my wife (and baby), I agreed to Uber.

Uber

I could not find a single person on this Forum that has ever taken Uber from Schipol to central AMS. For good reason, mind you, no one should opt for Uber over the train unless specific circumstances apply (ahem, baby, etc.), but I'm here to tell you that Uber has its perks. First, in order to properly utilize Uber, you must go upstairs after landing. You embark upon Uber only on the Departures level. When you have an extra bag due to a little baby, the train is really not all that feasible. But Uber works great for extra luggage. And the fee! 27 Euros doorstep to doorstep. And about 25 minutes, too. That's a bargain.

Don't get me wrong - I love the train and all it provides! But if I were not as mobile or carried excess luggage, Uber is really nice.

Houseboat and de Pijp

I cannot say enough about the de Pijp area. We felt safe late at night. You have an Albert Hein just across the street. A Marqt is a few blocks away. Then the Western beginning of Albert Cuypmarkt just 2 blocks away. There are several good food places in the area, too. My wife liked the healthy, organic-oriented SNCKBR. It also had one of my favorite late night munchies - Turkish food.

Give me a good Turkish pizza with some lamb, or baklava, and I'm pretty happy. You guys can have all the Febo you want. I'll take the late night Turkish. And was this nearby Turkish location a real treat or what? The baklava was fantastic. The man I pegged as the proprietor would drizzle a little extra honey on top. Oh man, that makes my mouth water even now. And his price was great at 4 pieces of baklava for 3 Euros.

I really enjoy the CS in this area. My fondness of CS Yo-Yo is well documented on this Forum. Then Ibiza and Carmona are just around the corner, as in 2-4 blocks. Great location!

Other than the location, I can talk about Houseboats all day on this board. A few of you have written me about Houseboats, and if any others are interested, I'm happy to share what I know. Must haves on a Houseboat are good patio over the water and a good coffee maker. This Houseboat was adequate with a Nescafe coffee maker, but had an extra plus patio overlooking the water! Since I mentioned coffee, truth be known, I could chat about coffee more than I can chat about weed. AMS was special in introducing the coffee trade to Europe, and AMS has pretty decent coffee. If you guys enjoy reading, David Liss wrote a pretty good historical fiction book about the beginnings of the early commodity trade in AMS, The Coffee Trader. I have an espresso machine at home that if you pat it gently and speak sweetly to it, it will respond by producing the best espresso. But on a Houseboat, Nescafe will do. Mr. CC, with your love of coffee, I imagine we could enjoy some quality conversations about coffee. And I figure that KeyMonCha and Black Star might know a thing or two about the coveted Jamaican Blue Mountain beans. Funny how I've sourced connections from nearly all over the world for clients to bring coffee to me. I have connections in Kenya, Columbia, Hawaii, and Jamaica for coffee. I can get ahold of some rare coffee beans easier than I can get weed in Texas. Go figure.

Dropped luggage at 11, and must piddle around until the cleaning crew finishes near 3. No problem. Time to explore and soak in the sights of my favorite city in the entire world!

Let's Go Walk Around

First stop - SNCKBR (no vowels), in de Pijp. It is a fresh, organic restaurant, which my wife searches out on every trip. And it was my first chance to check the Forum! I have to tell you that it was a great welcome to AMS to open this Forum as soon as possible and read a few regulars who had posted on chat to ask if I had landed. Papi, I believe Macky, and DLN were all posting to ask if I landed. I've since noticed that the regulars here do a fantastic job of keeping up with everyone and asking how the visit is proceeding. Ed is the latest to enjoy the Forum hospitality upon landing. Thanks, guys!

Popped into Carmona and wanted to look into purple strains based on some March posts on this forum. Carmona looked like a nice place. I just peeped at the menu and looked at the purple. Even the BT frowned at it. It looked like little BBs for an air gun. Pass. No purple from here. The BT was really nice, though, and the location was great with a nice smoke room.

We circled back and I popped into Ibiza. The BT here was very cool. He said the visitors for 4/20 smoked all of his Green Crack strain, but he had a very nice looking Sour Diesel and OG Rolex Kush. I'm meeting up with Lemming and DLN tonight, and I want to have a little gift for them in appreciation for all of their posts and general helpfulness on this board.

We walked around as a family and wound our way up Utrechtstraat to Kiboot. We've become friendly with the owners over the years, and we love their little dog, Jimmy. Alas, they were shopping in Morocco, and Jimmy was not there, so we continued our way to Rembrandtplein.

Bought a pipe en route at a little shop on Utrechtstraat. Great prices here, and very nice pipes. I just cannot roll a joint to save my life, and I'm not hauling other delivery devices across the Atlantic. So the best delivery system for me is a new, clean pipe for about 8 E.

While at Rembrandtplein having my first Heineken, it dawned on me that I could slip into my first ever CS - The Saint. The first time I can really recall hanging out in a CS was with my sister, and we had a grand time (well, with a bit of revisionist history, we had a grand time) at The Saint. Since that time nearly 1 decade ago, I've seen nary a review or comment. After popping my head in, now I know why. It is an overpriced tourist trap. G13, which is a great variety - 20 E a gram!!!! AK-47 at 14 E a gram!!! I have never seen 20 E a gram, and thought that Barneys or Greenhouse would be the first to claim that accomplishment. Nope - The Saint. In all fairness, the BT was nice and spoke different languages. But the prices were outrageous. Plus, it is a dungeon in there with no windows. And if you want to sit outside, you are looking at the brick wall of an alley. Ugh. Now I know why no one here frequents that establishment. Oh well, mission accomplished as far as an update on The Saint is concerned.

Feeling a bit cold, as in near freezing, with 50 degree Fahrenheit weather (we left the swamp otherwise known as Houston, TX with 90 degree weather and 85% humidity), and with a VERY tired family, it was time to retire to the Houseboat.

Barney's Lounge on Reguliersgracht

En route to the Houseboat, we stopped by an old standby, Barneys Lounge on Reguliersgracht. Say what you will about Barneys, but their product is always high quality. I got an old school Laughing Buddah and Cookies Kush. More on this purchase later!

As for Barney's itself, the BT (male and female) could not have been nicer. They asked if I had visited before, and were genuinely interested. I commented that I liked the older decore pre-television and when they had the faux bamboo-top tables. Evidently the newer BTs chat with older patrons about the older vibe, and they seemed genuinely interested in my prior experiences, asking me where things were located, if the BTs were helpful, if the clientele was older (yes, by a couple decades based on the look). The BTs were young, but commented that they wish they got an older clientele in from time to time. Then they pointed over to the sitting area where about 10 very young smokers were all seated and spread out. They commented a bit on the different types of people who buy, and consequently who is interesting and who they would like to just buy and fly. I was in there so long that my wife felt the need to text me. I tell you one thing - that Barney's Lounge must get the good BTs. I've had negligible experiences at the other Barneys locations, but at this location the BTs are always top quality, will sell any amount (even odd amounts) of weed, and are very helpful.

Batavia

Wife and baby napped. I got organized in anticipation of Batavia at 9 p.m. with Lemming and DLN! Wife awakens around 8 and proclaims that she does not want to sit at the Houseboat while I journey up to Batavia. That's cool, so we all trek to Batavia. It is about a 40 minute walk from the Houseboat.

*** Sidenote, did you ever notice that everything is about a 15 minute walk from the next destination? It struck me on this trip that every destination was about 15 min. from the next. Houseboat to Rembrandtsplein - 15 min. Rembrandtsplein to Blue Bird - 15 min. Houseboat to 9 Streets (and La Tertulia) - 15 min. 9 Streets to Noordermarkt - 15 min. Noordermarkt to Batavia - 15 min. Uncanny how everything is about 15 min. apart on foot. So Westerkerk to de Pijp, on foot, is about, oh, 40 min. walk. ***

I'm excited for my first T&T with 2 esteemed Forum members, Lemming, his companion, J, and DLN. We arrive at Batavia right on time. I had a bit of an idea what Lemming looked like due to a photo or two floating around. And DLN did not take long to spot with his ugly college shirt. Bwahahaaa - j/k DLN (DLN and I went to rival Universities, and even as adults we poke fun at one another's schools). Wife and baby camp out at a table near the door while I go downstairs to socialize.

Batavia was a real treat. I've never been before. And as a bonus, I was able to briefly meet Papi and nathan420stoner! I wish I would have been able to chat with you two more, but you two were popular and sitting at a full table in the corner. Next time I'll make it a point to hang out with you!

For those of you on this board who have not met Lemming and DLN, you are really missing out. Lemming is very easy-going and relaxed, and the glue that helps hold this Forum together. DLN is by far the most knowledgeable cannaseur (good term that I think DLN used on this board, which has been picked up by the other Forum regulars) that I have met in person. I guess it is possible that someone knows more about marijuana than DLN, but I have not met them.

DLN whips out his Pax 3, which is an amazing little vaporizer. Lemming has a nice joint. J, Lemmings companion, is really nice, and it seemed I spoke to her the majority of the time. In fact, the time flew by at light speed. No sooner did I start a conversation with J than it seemed like it was time to leave. Guys, I apologize that I had to head out. But with my companions loyally waiting upstairs just so I could meet, and us recovering from the long flight, I was super happy to get those 40 minutes. I hope you guys enjoyed that Sour Diesel and OG Rolex Kush! DLN was just about to start dabs, but the wife said we probably needed to head back. I have a foot in the responsible world and a foot in the stoner world, so straddling the two interests, the family interest must win out if I am ever to come here again. Plus, wife and kiddo are super fun to hang out with, and I wanted to capture as much time in AMS with them as possible since travelling to AMS is such a chore for us. Time to head back (40 min. walk). I would have loved nothing more than to stay, as I was just getting warmed up to chat. Dang. Fortunately we should experience many future opportunities to hang out over the next several years!

Sleepytime

Walked back to the HB. Little wife, who is a steadfast stickler for super healthy food, has a guilty pleasure of Wok to Walk. Busted!

Back at the HB, remembering the Laughing Buddah, I packed my little bowl and enjoyed every bit. I read a lot on here how you rate weed according to its ability to 'cut through' the preexisting weed induced haze. The Laughing Buddah was the only CS purchase that cut right through the existing fog. It was spectacular. And little buddy did his best Julius Caesar, Marc Antony speech with a special 20 min. monologue of blah, blah, blah for us to end the night.

AMS is so magical. Great first day with much more to come (including pics if I can ever get a few to upload)!
Last edited by LLMReb on Fri 19th May 2017 01:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kenshiro

Re: LLMReb's XI Trip - April 2017 King's Day

Post by Kenshiro »

Great read so far pal! I'm always fascinated by details of AMS in years gone by before I ever experienced it.

It's also interesting to see how your trip is playing out with partner and very young child in tow (I'm already impressed by meet ups and the ground you've made and subsequent allowance/patience by your partner😁😉)

Keep it coming looking forward to the next installment.
LLMReb

Re: LLMReb's XI Trip - April 2017 King's Day (now w/ photos!)

Post by LLMReb »

Day Two

Started the day with the remnants of Laughing Buddah and Cookies Kush and Nescafe. It's great to awaken in AMS!

On retrospect, I wish I bought more of the Laughing Buddah. That was a great smoke. It was great in 2010 when I first smoked it, and it is great in 2017!

It was sprinkling a bit, so we took advantage of my old friends at Uber to ride to the Westerstraat Markt. At Westerstraat Markt, we love the experience. Once you escape the textiles (which I enjoy walking through), the market opens to fruit smoothie stands and specialty wares. I enjoy writing, so on every visit to AMS I purchase several journals. The best journals are from the local sellers at the Noorder- and Westerstraat Markets.

Wound our way to Greenwoods on Keisersgracht for a late breakfast. Great food. Their soda bread deserves its own store! Cheers to Greenwoods because they were super accommodating with the little fella, made him a booster seat, and were very attentive and interacting with him.

This plate of delicious goodness is the Big Breakfast!

We then wound our way over to the indoor Antique Market which is near Eerst Hulp. My wife is friendly with one of the dealers in there, and we like to purchase some Delft pottery each year.

While winding our way through the Jordaan, I visited my personal #1 CS in AMS, Paradox. See my entry re: Paradox regarding a very weird exchange there. I've always rated Paradox as my #1 store, but this trip put a sour taste in my mouth. Not only was the weed extremely, and I mean EXTREMELY dry as in touch it and it crumbles apart with a little dust cloud of capitulation, but the female BT was not at her best. Typically every time before she has been happy and upbeat. This time, she was unpleasant. I could forgive the grumpiness and general unwelcome feel (which was a first for me there), but the terrible weed. Ugh.

Super Lemon Haze:

Chemdawg:

All I can say about those strands was that I did not throw them away, but I smoked them as fast as possible and liberally emptied the bowl in an effort to rid myself of that weed. In retrospect, I should have just pitched it and started with something fresh. Do you ever have that experience?

CS Yo-Yo

Returned to the HB for family naps. I took advantage of the lull to hang out in a favorite - CS Yo-Yo. I really enjoy every visit to this CS. I evidently get lucky and they play great music when I'm there. I like the simple outdoor menu and the fact that the weed is not super powerful like the genetically engineered weed of most places (which I also like).

The only people in the shop were me, the female BT, and another lady. The other lady is chattering away with the BT about something in Dutch, and she pauses and looks over to me and says, "We are talking about something from last Saturday." The fellow customer was nice and engaging. She asked if I had been there before and what I liked on the menu. I told her about my purchases last year with the Frysian Dew and Northern Lights. She commented that she really didn't feel like purchasing anything, but asked me about the Frysian Dew. I spoke eloquently about it and the nice, clean, cerebral high. She purchased E20. Then we got into a discussion with the BT about the merits of shake.

I felt like I was connecting! I felt great because I felt like I sold E20 of weed! I need to apply for a job here! So I then feel like the lady BT will be super helpful and give me the scoop on the best stuff.

Ahem, the lady BT was not very helpful.

I asked if she had any weed that was a very good representative of the strain. She replied, "It is all good." Thinking that perhaps I'm not communicating my question effectively, I pause and ask, "Yes, but is any flushed better than others, has a good taste, was harvested better, or has some quality that sets is apart?" Her response, "Yes. It is all equally good." All I can do at this point is smile and think to myself, "Here I find myself yet again in AMS having the Cold vs. Extra Cold Heineken discussion where I might as well be speaking Chinese because I'm not getting my point across." You guys know the Cold vs. Extra Cold discussion, right? I wrote about it in a past year travelogue. Oh man, that is a funny story. Anyway, I just shake my head and smile. Then I purchase the simple outdoor Haze:

It was dry, but not as dry as Paradox. Still, I'm detecting a dry pattern here. Dry weed seems to pervade AMS on this visit (other than that stuff DLN had (Pineapple Kush), which looked really good, and the Ibiza weed). Oh well, it is not bad.

What a nice, relaxing day. As we walked around, two things struck me:

(1) When you are in a hurry in AMS, things just don't seem to work out so well. In a hurry, I don't seem to stumble upon the outdoor toilet that appears at the precise moment that I need it. But if I stroll along, I seem to find new outdoor toilets! Those things are lifesavers. What is this? There is a toilet on the other side of the canal from the Flower Market? I've never noticed this outdoor toilet in all my visits. I guess I'm rarely, if ever, on this side of the street.

(2) The best random find on a stroll is when you come upon a well timed empty bench along the canal. When I stroll along, prime bench seating appears as if by magic! Canalside seating on a pleasant day is literally the most peaceful thing in all the world to me. As we leisurely strolled around, we came upon one of my favorite canal seating areas, and we had it all to ourselves.

Last edited by LLMReb on Mon 22nd May 2017 02:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Very nice job indeed LLMReb, thank you very much. We are so spoiled lately by awesome travelogues from so many great posters and your fine work is a welcome and very worthy addition to the great reports by DLN16, OHMF, Lemming and sNc, to name but a few f the great entries to the forum as of late! :D

You have a great flow, it is easy to tell that you write a lot, and I really appreciate both the humorous and very personal style you have. It is also great to read about a nice trip with the family and different perspective of the city than our mad, hectic 420 week (summer fucking get here, need to go back and chillax along a canal, like right fucking now)!!! :)

You are obviously also quite a lot briefer and a fuckload more to the point than my usual pages on end, I imagine that this is also appreciated by a few other members ;)

Keep it coming man!

CC
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Every thing CC just said LLMReb. :D Just really enjoying myself catching up on this weeks travelogue instalments. :D And they're all excellent, well written and entertaining. I'm sure they will continue throughout the summer, with a good bunch of ACDers booked to be in town. :mrgreen:
What a long strange trip it is.
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

CopenhagenCouple wrote: Fri 19th May 2017 08:15 am
You are obviously also quite a lot briefer and a fuckload more to the point than my usual pages on end, I imagine that this is also appreciated by a few other members ;)
Ha, ha, ha. I had to show that quote to my wife. I read my reports to her, and she regularly comments, "Who on Earth is going to take time to read that tome that you just wrote?"

Thanks so much for the kind words. As DLN/Lemming can attest, I have about (hold thumb and forefinger really close together like [ ] that close) that much knowledge regarding cannabis as compared to the rest of you guys. I, therefore, try my best to add to the board in other ways.

Three more days on the trip agenda. I'll at least write one report tonight, and probably 2.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Well we're certainly reading it! Bravo sir - an excellent read. Highly enjoyable - littered with flavour.
ACD - the internet antidote to TL;DR
Devore

Post by Devore »

Loving it mate. I like your style!
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Day Three

Today is culture day, and AMS has plenty of culture.

We prepurchased Van Gogh tickets for entry at 10 a.m. I will never use the Museum Card or obtain tickets any other way than the prepurchase option. You show up, you skip not only the ticket line (if you don't have the Museum Card), but you also skip the line to get into the museum. You just walk right up to the door and enter. Incredible. Each time slot only has a few tickets available, so purchase in advance. I think we purchased them 1 month in advance.

We arrive to the museum in good order, but we have an umbrella. Doh! No umbrellas permitted. I have to check the umbrella. I glance at the coat check line, which appears to be an hour wait (probably 30 min., but it was LONG). After skipping that long line outside, I wasn't about to get in another line. We bid adieu to the umbrella. It served its purpose well earlier, and perhaps its journey was now to assist someone else.

We left the umbrella in the lobby under a bench.

If you have not visited the Van Gogh Museum, you should treat yourself. We like to eat brownies and visit. It is a world class museum. We make it a point to go every visit. I rank the Van Gogh in my top 5 museums in the world, along with the d'Orsay, British Museum, Rijks, and Canterbury Cathedral with that group barely ahead of the Guggenheim in Bilbao, Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid, Louvre, London City Museum, and what is left of old Constantinople.

What occurred next was one of two events that I call a "High Five in Life". You know what a high five is, but some of you are a bit young and the high five very well belongs in a museum with the handshake due to being replaced with the fist bump. Anyway, just in case you are scrambling to Google a 'high five', I'll help. A 'high five' is what you will do to someone else if they do achieve something great or even if something good happens to them. I will occasionally refer to an event as a High Five in Life when life itself seems to reach out and do something great for you without you even expecting it, hence giving you a high five (in life). I think a High Five in Life is very rare and something to celebrate!. On this AMS trip, I experienced TWO High Fives in Life, and one occurred after we finished our considerable time in the Van Gogh Museum. We exit and notice that it is raining. Oh man, we should have checked that damned rainbow umbrella. But what is this object that I spy under the bench where we left it? Why, none other than the umbrella! It is still there, over 2 hours later, waiting loyally for us to retrieve it and utilize its generous offering to protect us from the elements (rain and also hail on this day). That experience, my friends, is what I classify as a High Five in Life. I love about AMS because it seems to provide more opportunity for great experiences like High Fives in Life. My memorable and notable great experience ratio increases exponentially, and AMS almost always delivers on a great, memorable experience.

After Van Gogh, with our loyal, trusty umbrella, we noticed that the Stedelijk Modern Art Museum had no line. So off we went. Nice museum. I have never visited because until recently I just could not get into more modern art and pop art. The Lichtenstein was nice and a good original, although I really expected the Lichtenstein with the windmill to be there. The original Chagalls were good, but I thought there would be more of his work considering that some art dealers in AMS have more of his work, and last year the New Church had a very substantial Chagall exhibit. They did a good job on their Mondriaan collection. Good museum, but not cracking my top 20 list.

I know what you are thinking. Yes, we checked the umbrella! I wasn't about to abandon that little umbrella a 2nd time. In a bit of a mini-High Five in Life, the line to safeguard our umbrella was non-existent, as in no one in the line!

Albert Cuyp Market

After our considerable time in the Museum area, we mostly walked around and had a light day. We spent a solid hour at the Albert Cuyp Market, which is a nice little market. I don't care for it as much as the Noordermkt, Westermarkt, or the book market at the Spui area, but it is nice. I like the street vendors where we bought juice, pancakes, and my wife bought a really delicious tortilla thing with feta and spinach. Excellent. I do love street food!

I always tell myself that one year I'm going to eat that herring that sells out of the AMS equivalent of a food truck. I just cannot bring myself to purchase one doused in white onion, then eat it. I'm curious if any of you have tried them. I do enjoy raw fish, but fish from a food truck with onion, and herring no less . . . eh, I have never been stoned or drunk enough or had enough peer pressure to check that experience off of my to-do list.

We had a great, relaxing day on this day. I finished off all of the Ibiza stuff, Paradox dust, Yo-Yo Haze, and Barney's stuff. Very relaxing playing the part of a little family in AMS. And at the end of the evening, as we sat around waving to tourists boats, the Little Buddy charmed and entertained us by carrying on the most fascinating conversation with a local AMS resident who was also staying on the canal:

CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Another great read, thank you man! :) Loving the gezellig family time you are having, gives me hope for the future : D

I also appreciate the museum reviews and insights, you are clearly more of a classical art buff than me / us and it is great to get a fellow stoner's point of view on some of the great museums of the world!!! :D

Keep the good stuff coming dude!

ETA: the evening debate club picture is extremely cute! :)
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Ha re: debate. He and that duck just went on and on and on. It was so entertaining.

Regarding museums, I'll pitch in here w/ museums if you guys continue explaining quality weed characteristics. My palate is not sophisticated enough to ever tell earth tones vs citrus vs whatever I'm supposed to taste, so teading your (and most everyone else's reports) is so interesting.
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

more great trip-reporting! thanks for taking the time for creating/sharing.
and from another de pijp-area and turkish food lover. lived/worked in
turkey for a year during '81-2 timeframe, and really miss the food/hospitality.
i always hit a little turkish bakery along woustraat for simit when in town.
full disclosure though, i have liked FEBO's facebook page. :twisted:

cheers
Last edited by EasilySuede on Tue 23rd May 2017 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Thanks, Easy! I'll check out that bakery! I will admit the Febo ice cream is very good!!!

I need to make it to Portland. Two very good friends live there.
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

LLMReb wrote: Tue 23rd May 2017 01:18 am Thanks, Easy! I'll check out that bakery! I will admit the Febo ice cream is very good!!!
I need to make it to Portland. Two very good friends live there.
also, check out their roasted chicken legs (kippenbout), at the counter...
Last edited by EasilySuede on Tue 23rd May 2017 01:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

LLMReb wrote: Mon 22nd May 2017 02:44 amI always tell myself that one year I'm going to eat that herring that sells out of the AMS equivalent of a food truck. I just cannot bring myself to purchase one doused in white onion, then eat it. I'm curious if any of you have tried them. I do enjoy raw fish, but fish from a food truck with onion, and herring no less . . . eh, I have never been stoned or drunk enough or had enough peer pressure to check that experience off of my to-do list.
I've tried it. For background purposes, I love fish, including sushi, and onions, and like to think I can eat pretty much anything that's a recognised foodstuff, even if it isn't to my taste. I managed to get it down and keep it down, which I regarded as rather an achievement. I'm not saying I wouldn't try it again -- I generally give unfamiliar foods a second chance, because some tastes are acquired -- but with all the pleasant things to eat in the world, I'm not in any rush.

Great travelogue. There's so much in the Dam to enjoy when stoned, isn't there? Must make it to those markets one day -- I never seem to be there on the right day for the once-a-week ones.