ACD Forum's 4/20 Gathering 2018

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Lemming
Site Admin

Re: ACD Forum's 4/20 Gathering 2018

Post by Lemming »

Day 7 - Saturday 21st April 2018 - Balloon Flight

As I mentioned in last year's travelogue, Het Ballonnetje was the first 'serious' coffeeshop I ever visited, way back in the 1980s and I've loved it ever since. Last year, however, it went even higher in my estimation when they treated us to a very special session. And now this year they've invited us back for more! :D

So, that's the plan for today, which is yet another lovely sunny day, incidentally.

In the meantime, last night's THsyrup has taken its toll. It feels like I'm swimming through syrup this morning. My limbs are heavy and the thick syrupy air resists all movement.

Nevertheless, the sun is streaming in through the skylight in the apartment so I decide to have a go with the (poor) macro mode on my camera before I head out.

Image Citral

With that I set off for Het Ballonnetje, photographing coffeeshops along the way.

We've arranged this session as a climax of the 4/20 week, when lots of Forum members are still in town and most have managed to catch up with the tour party. Last year we only had a couple of hours in Ballonnetje before we were expected at the Stud but this year we don't have anything else on the schedule until OneHighMofo's poker night at 7pm this evening. This has good prospects of being quite a party!

I'm feeling that nervous anticipation as I stride along through the sunshine. Around Spuistraat, along and across the Amstel River, turning left just before the sluice gates onto Nieuwe Prinsengracht and Nieuwe Achtergracht. Crossing the busy Weesperplein, the shiny bridge-shaped university building is straight ahead.

And so into Het Ballonnetje, where an ACD posse is already assembled. A nice t-shirt appears from behind the bar followed by lots of jars.

That's it. Reality has been switched off again. The camera still seems to be snapping away though so this is what I would be looking at if my brain was functioning:

Image jars, ...

Image ... jars, ...

Image ... jars, ...

Image ... jars, ...

Image ... jars, ...

Image ... and food

The menu

I know it was an amazing afternoon. Much thanks to Het Ballonnetje for thoroughly spoiling us. Extraordinary hospitality.

Before we leave, someone pushes a jar, that still has a bit of something inside it, in front of me and suggests that I should take it with me. In the end I somehow become separated from it but I'm not too concerned because it felt a bit greedy to taking it anyway.

We finish the afternoon in Utopia before we scatter for fodder. Here I again get presented with a Ballonnetje jar. We promptly vape the contents and the jar makes its way into my luggage for the journey back to ACD HQ where it will become my stash jar.

The evening session is in Batavia as usual and this is my last night so it's smokeup time (I don't know whether the poker night happened, incidentally).

The big window is open and, as I finish loading up a serious joint, a gust of wind blows the entire contents across the floor! At that point I decide to go check out the other half of the party.

Over at Utopia I find the rest of the crew and finish off my stash with them.

And so ends another wonderful day and, at least for me, 4/20 week is done for another year. Thanks to everyone who came along and made it such fun.

Here's my cast list. If I've missed you out please let me know.

2stick
Choppermike + son + gf
Colina
Comus
CopenhagenCouple
DeLekkersteNUGS16
Devore
Dolby (aka james_the_lurker)
Drugsbunny
Ed the Head
Fat_old_dwarf
Gapie
Ingi Blingi
JayBee420
Kenshiro
Kermit
Kushola
Lemming
Macky and Mrs. Macky
Madmaxxx
Nel Z Bub
Ohm Sweet Ohm
OneHighMofo
Pierre von Mondragon
RoMoney
Smirks
Tuttiflutes

macky

Post by macky »

Great read,how you can remember all that ? :D I remember waiting on tar Mac in snow blizzard.....
Then she all became a bit of a blur governer :shock:
choppermike

Post by choppermike »

Fantastic reportage Lemming !
It takes a truly Great Photographer to cut everybody's head off in every shot.
Regards, CM.
.. in the avoid curve :mrgreen:
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Who could forget the table of treats at Het B! Lovely stuff Lemming :)
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Devore

Post by Devore »

That Balloon sesh was something else. Constantly rotating joints... Oh the buzz
Freshprince86

Post by Freshprince86 »

Really , really nice reports from your sessions, weather 2018 , 2017.. nice to read:) looking forward to read the 2019 one, salute to y`all.
- as wars come and go, my soldier stays eternal -
Occasional Bowl

Post by Occasional Bowl »

Great write up as ever Lemming.
Hang on to your head