LLMReb's XIII Trip Report (Final)

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
LLMReb

LLMReb's XIII Trip Report (Final)

Post by LLMReb »

SIX MORE WEEKS! My 13th trip to AMS is upcoming, and I could not be more excited!

Booked July 1-5, then to Italy, and return to AMS July 12 - 15.

I've been actually dreaming about this trip, as in, every week a new dream of uncovering a great find at a CS, something funny and memorable that is bound to occur, etc. In anticipation, I'm just about to finish Van Loon's diary of Rembrandt. Then I think I'll work through Embarrassment of Riches. Now that I think about it, AMS needs more good historical fiction. I'm open for suggestions if anyone has any (David Liss is good if you haven't read his stuff re: Coffee Trade).

My wife said that I might as well start posting about this trip since I'm so excited about it. I think she suggested I write about it for her own self-preservation and sanity purposes b/c there are only so many mornings she desires to wake up to me sharing that I had yet another dream about finding some new, undiscovered CS or some rare strain, or meeting new people and laughing about something that my subconscious clearly thought was incredibly funny.

I appreciate this board, Lemming, FBN, and the regular posters who are too numerous to name (but they know who they are and everyone knows them) who add to the appreciation and history of the city that we all clearly love. So, in some small way, I like to think that these Travelogues save for posterity our thoughts and impressions of AMS in the 21st century. Even if they are written months or so after the visit!

Transitioning to the actual trip, I am excited to report that I have a theme for this trip!

This trip I'm focusing on what most of us refer to the old school strains. These are the strains that, for me, were in fashion back when I first started smoking and learning about smoking. All of the new strains are so fleeting and potent that it is easy to forget about the early strains that were initially cultivated for flavor and maximizing different effects. Reviewing my past trip reports, I get so caught up in looking for the latest Tangelo-OG-Skyblue-Kush-Haze that I overlook the root strains responsible for the latest 20%+ THC creation. In my most recent visits to Colorado and California, I cannot find any more base strains. So now, I'm on the lookout for some oldies, but goodies, which you can find in AMS with a bit of adventure scavenger hunting. In no particular order:

1. Cheese 8. Jamaican 15. Orange Bud
2. White Widow. 9. Acapulco Gold
3. Northern Lights. 10. OG/Hindu Kush
4. AK-47. 11. Blueberry
5. Sour Diesel. 12. Neville's Haze
6. Amnesia Haze. 13. G-13
7. Super Silver Haze. 14. Thai

I've had all of the above at some point or another, but now I'm going to AMS with a purpose to enjoy them and savor them on this trip. I doubt I get to them all, but I have 7 days to try!!! Besides, is it just me, or does anyone else miss the mid 15% THC bud that would provide a euphoric or creative or happy or talkative or ________ (fill in your own positive effect) buzz that permitted you to coherently interact on a social level rather than mindlessly sit and blend into your surroundings? God knows I've only met a handful on this board, and other than the T&T at Bluebird with Willjay and FOD where I was only slightly buzzed, I've pretty much been incoherent when I've met Papi, Nathan420, Gapie, every time when I am around DLN, CCs, PvM, Lemming, and, hell, I'm sure others.

So, be prepared (and enjoy) as I write this Travelogue and build up to my trip. As always, I'm open to suggestions, comments, and helpful hints.
Last edited by LLMReb on Sun 7th Oct 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willjay

Re: LLMReb's XIII Trip Report

Post by Willjay »

Enjoy your trip 8) you were only slightly buzzed with FOD and I because it was first thing in the morning :lol: trust me I remember my fast dash back to the hotel :shock: after the morning coffee :lol:

Never traveled to Europe in the summer let us know how it is weather and crowds

I do enjoy traveling through Amsterdam :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Great stuff LLMReb, really looking forward to following this one! :D
LLMReb wrote: Wed 23rd May 2018 03:13 pm I've pretty much been incoherent when I've met Papi, Nathan420, Gapie, every time when I am around DLN, CCs, PvM, Lemming, and, hell, I'm sure others.
Gotta agree with
Willjay wrote: Wed 23rd May 2018 03:54 pm Enjoy your trip 8) you were only slightly buzzed with FOD and I because it was first thing in the morning :lol: trust me I remember my fast dash back to the hotel :shock: after the morning coffee :lol:
on this one. :D

You were far from incoherent when we met, we remember you participating with no problems in the pleasant conversations we had with you and DLN16 in a gezellig rooftop location, one summer not long ago. If you wanna hear about incoherent (in some cases bordering on straight up unconscious), wait for a bit later in some of our TRs from this 420, there were some entertaining folk at some of the meetups and late night gatherings in Batavia.

Love the idea of having a theme and the theme you’ve picked seems very appropriate considering the access you have to all the new genetics when you travel to legal states in the US.

Given your list of strains and time allowed for you scavenger hunt, you should have no problems finding at the very least 8 if not 10 of those. Finding good examples of the strains that are close to what you probably remember from “back then”, could be a bit more of a challenge (although one we are sure you’ll be able to overcome :D ).

A few observations re: some of the strains on your list, from our recent visits:

1 – Cheese
Cheese, and variations (especially blue cheese and such derivatives), can still be found in many places, but in our experience good examples are hard to find. Shop around and you’ll find pungent and potent examples though. We sniffed one last visit from (IWRC) CS Noon that stank like a mofo. We are still kicking ourselves for not getting it as it was that nice, but had too much cheese the last visits so skipped it.

4 – AK-47
There are a few good examples to be had, Boerejoenges has a few derivatives (but that’s probably not what you are going for). On our Haarlem crawl we got a “Super AK-47” (just a very good version of the strain, not a cross) from WW Sensimilla, which was probably the best version of that strain that we’ve ever come across. Top 3 bud of the trip bud with respect to looks and finish too, super tasty and a “beefed up” version of the effects you would expect from the strain. Worth the trip, especially considering that Haarlem is a great place in general for classic strains and also well worth the visit for a museum-buff like yourself.

13 – G-13
Het Ballonetje quite often has a killer version of this strain on offer. Also good for examples of a lot of the other strains from time to time, AK-47 was recently on for one.

If you want to replace sour diesel with a very orangy, but great diesel, try Cafe 420’s Diesel, it was extremely nice during 420. Haarlem usually also good for diesel. The Stud has a good classic NYCD, also other of the classic strains.

As you’ve mentioned yourself, plenty of the other strains around town, have fun hunting! :D

BTW: If you find a good version of 10 – Hindu Kush (not OG), please let us know, haven’t had that for ages…

CC
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

[/quote] You were far from incoherent when we met, we remember you participating with no problems in the pleasant conversations we had with you and DLN16 in a gezellig rooftop location, one summer not long ago. [/quote]

Ha, ha, ha. I remember the stairs. I remember DLN pouring syrup, I vaguely recall confirming that the CCs are joint rolling machines in human form, and I recall next being back at the sandbox playing w/ son.” Coherent? I either sat there and said very little or talked nonstop, then parted.

Oh, and DLN fidgeting w/ music. :D

That visit is a fun memory.
NotSoIncognito

Post by NotSoIncognito »

I make a point of trying Jamaican and Thai when I come across it in a coffeeshop. I'm not sure why I persist, as it is usually seedy, sticky (as in fill of sticks!), dirty tasting stuff and I have to spend ages removing the crap so it will smoke OK. But I love the old school taste of import pre-skunk weed, so I keep trying!

Best Jamaican I have found has been Blackstar's Special - a couple of months ago, this was buds rather than brickweed, and proper old school sensi. Second on my list is some Jamaican I got from CS Kashmir - it was called premium jamaican or something like that, and it was rum-soaked sensi and pretty good.

I have yet to find any half decent Thai though - I get Thai stick regularly at home and the AMS offerings are never up to the mediocre Yorkshire version!

Have a good one!

Mr I
Popeye

Post by Popeye »

The Thai and Jamaican in Anyday (may it rest in peace) was usually of good standard. Haven't seen any as good over the years. Always look out for it like yourself though, it's a taste you don't find now. :(

I'm over between your two dates, will post if I come across any of the old skool. I'm fed up with being melted all the time as well. :D
whisx

Post by whisx »

Your description of great social weed springs to my mind strawberry haze from grey area or strains like casey jones.

Anyway, I've enjoyed your travelogues greatly and it's a shame to miss this so narrowly (I'll be there 24th-28th this month), not that there's any degree of certainty that I'm able to meet anyone from the forum anyway Been to Voyagers once and nobody paid any attention. 8) Nothing like authors who describe their days in 'dam in great detail, with experience and enthusiasm and pictures. Valuable and entertaining.

We all have rough times in our private lives and anticipating cool journeys is part of what keeps our heads up. Or maybe it's just me.

I'm not a bearded geezer yet but I remember the strain variety was so much more narrow back in -06. White Widow, AK, Thai... way more touristy coffeeshops all marketing those same strains (god knows they might have been anything). Now it's all messed up. It's cool to hunt authentic varieties. AK47 my alltime top 5, for sure. Good luck!
Trips to Dam since 2005: 11 8)
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Little update on shops that I'm looking forward to checking out and updating for the Board:

1. Hugo

http://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/HugoDeGroot.html

Highly positive reviews that go back for years! The last post on this CS was from Black-king back in 2016 (whatever happened to him, btw?). I'm no cannaseur like most of you, but I sure as hell can check out a CS and report back! This one looks really good.

2. Supermarkt

http://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Supermarkt.html

See Hugo. Consistently great reviews, although very sparse considering the high praise from the reviews. The latest menu posted by FBN looks very good. I'm keeping fingers crossed that they still have the Lemon Skunk on the menu, and it is a good buy!

3. Catch 33

http://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Catch.html

See above for consistently positive reviews. Very well respected contributors to this Board (Marok, Papi, Not_the_Monk, elasticband) have visited and provided good feedback.

4. Crush

http://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Crush.html

Great reviews. Latest menu looks very good. Interesting they list their Diamond Hash as Caramello on the latest menu. Makes me wonder if the famed Diamond Hash from Millenium is Caramello? Regardless, the menu looks great. Strong haze selection (Silver, Mango, Lemon, Amnesia).

Anyone been to those shops lately?
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Trip already off to a dubious beginning. Apartment I rented called me today to inform me that their neighbors are doing construction and digging out 3 meters of their floor to add a basement. Jackhammers, etc. make the premises untenable for all of next week. They refunded my money and informed me that I must find a location elsewhere. To be fair, they tried hard to be accommodating. But damn. For those of you that also rent houseboats or apartments, even the 4* and 5* hotels are no comparison to a place with kitchen and outdoor patio where I can sit and relax while the family naps.

So, off to a dubious beginning. Moreover, I was staying in a neat new place at that apartment, and now I have to move more to a mainstream locale.

I'll keep everyone posted as to further developments.
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

“Boots on the polders” as DLN once said to me as a play on the idiom (boots on the ground).

Briefly, which i shall elaborate upon later:

1. CS Crush is a really great CS! Clean, great service, knowledgeable, beautiful haze specimens, every one. Fair prices. A+.

2. CS Siberie had the nicest female tallish redhead. Great customer service. Very good feedback and specimens. Perfectly fine with me ordering by the euro (e.g. can i get 5 euro or 10 euro, please) or by weight. A+.

3. Housekeeper cleaning windows and pruning flowers at a beautiful canal home on Egalantiersgracht (sp?).

4. Best weather I’ve ever experienced in AMS in all my 13 visits!

More to come.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

LLMReb wrote: Sun 1st Jul 2018 01:53 pm “Boots on the polders” as DLN once said to me as a play on the idiom (boots on the ground).

Briefly, which i shall elaborate upon later:

1. CS Crush is a really great CS! Clean, great service, knowledgeable, beautiful haze specimens, every one. Fair prices. A+.

2. CS Siberie had the nicest female tallish redhead. Great customer service. Very good feedback and specimens. Perfectly fine with me ordering by the euro (e.g. can i get 5 euro or 10 euro, please) or by weight. A+.

3. Housekeeper cleaning windows and pruning flowers at a beautiful canal home on Egalantiersgracht (sp?).

4. Best weather I’ve ever experienced in AMS in all my 13 visits!

More to come.
In the 4 summers I've spent in Amsterdam this one has already shown to be the best weather wise.

Sitting in Sarphatipark now, beers, vapes, tunes and sunshine - life's good!
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Glad you made it 8) are you homeless or did you get your lodging worked out :D
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Ha, Willjay, indeed I did work that place-to-stay thing out. Of all places reasonable, the American Hotel.

Highlights today:

Westerstraat Market
Van Loon House
Playground w/ family
Diamond Hash from Millenium mixed with really good Thai from Siberie.
SSH from Siberie is the best SSH i’ve ever had.
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

LLMReb wrote: Mon 2nd Jul 2018 08:44 pm Ha, Willjay, indeed I did work that place-to-stay thing out. Of all places reasonable, the American Hotel.

Highlights today:

Westerstraat Market
Van Loon House
Playground w/ family
Diamond Hash from Millenium mixed with really good Thai from Siberie.
SSH from Siberie is the best SSH i’ve ever had.
You do homeless very well at the American :lol: 8) :mrgreen: now walk away from that 4 star restaurant and find some Orange Bud
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

I’ve not been able to find orange bud anywhere.

Found some great strains, tho. The Lemon Skunk from Supermarkt is amazing!