Amsterdam / Hague shop and smoke overview.

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
RedGecko58

Amsterdam / Hague shop and smoke overview.

Post by RedGecko58 »

Sadly Back from out trip to the Hague and Amsterdam, thought i’d post a quick review of the places and strains we tried. :D

Quick note - I have a slight obsession to hash and that's why my list is slight dominated by hash to the disappointment of my SO. I have also tried to ‘re-weight’ my grades so my preference to hash is less evident. Also my selection is influenced by trying older strains and things I can’t get at home, I also don’t consider sativa/indica - the science seems to suggest this is largely made up. Furthermore the strain names are take with a pinch of salt, all purchases are based on looks and smell before paying.

Also my preference is medium strength weed/hash, and smoking several joints with tobacco rather than one strong J.

De Mazzelaar / The Hague
Strain - Buddha Thai - 7 Euro/ 2g -
tried this as I wanted some outdoor weed but this was really ‘brick weed’ ie compressed low grade outdoor, was okay mixed as a filler but on its own it didn’t burn well or taste nice. Ended up smoking 3 half a gram and gave the rest away, would really like to try some quality, low strength outdoor but alas it always seems to be dirty, dry, crushed buds. I give it an extra point for novelty, never seen ‘brick’ weed before. 1/10

Strain - Lemon Haze - 10 Euro/g - Really good Smoke, chosen as they didn’t have powerplant when I visited but was pleasantly surprised by this medium strength, good taste, pungent odor. 7/10

Atmosphere - Quiet and Small shop, very basic and limited seating but nice to escape the madness of Amsterdam and be able to relax and chill out here. This was a highlight of the Hague 8/10.

Dizzy Duck / The Hague
I had really hoped to try their ‘enemy of the state’ hash, but it was sold out so I tried the Malana Cream as suggested by the tender and was also on my list.

Strain - Malana Cream hash - 15 Euro/g - Soft black hash, with an exotic odor, I would describe the smell as a ‘pong’ if that makes sense, thick smoke and a nice sedative effect, never tried asian hash before so it was a nice change 7/10

Atmosphere - Again a nice change from the chaos in AMS busier than De Mazzelaar, mainly local people, pretty much all men but reminded me of ‘local rough pubs’. Would probably just buy here in future. 5.5/10

Hunters / AMS
Strain - Jack Herer - 8 Euro/g -
Having wanted to try this strain since I first started smoking and missing it on previous trips to AMS I was excited to try it. A good day time smoke with enough power to hit the spot but not overpower. Nice taste, good price 6/10

Atmosphere - First time visiting this shop, perhaps I caught it at a good time as I dont often hear it recommended. Outside seating was good in the weather, staff were pleasant and helpful. 6/10

Noon
Strain - Afgaan Kush - 10/g -
Good price for medium quality weed in the Leidseplein center, smoked well with a medium buzz 6.5/10.

Atmosphere - Good shop, was quiet on both visits and didn’t mind us smoking our own before buying on second visit. Another benefit (odd I know) is that drinks are full 330ml cans instead of the stupid 200-250 ml tiny bottles. Good value, Good service 6/10.

De Overkant Hortus
Strain - Polm hash- 6euros/g
Stopped here on the way to the botanical gardens, I think we were the first customers of the day initially just bought drinks but decided to test a cheap hash because, I like hash. Anyway I bought the cheapest hash on the menu, and I was not disappointed, this is what I would describe as a standard quality morrocan hash. I’m not sure if this was just a good batch, or what but this was a good smoke, lovely smell and strong buzz. I think if I lived in AMS this would be my daily/value smoke. 7.5/10 (this rating is based on price, taste and overall quality, I have had a lot worse for a lot more)

Atmosphere - Good, we sat outside in the morning and inside in the late afternoon. Staff were helpful and smoking without buying seemed to be accepted. Location was good near Hortus Botanicus and Waterlooplein market 8/10

Boerejongens
Strain - Madelaine hash - 7.5 euros/g, was first smoke of this trip and instantly reminded me this was going to be a good holiday, in the heat (37c) this hash was soft and very pliable. Nice mild buzz, somewhat lacking flavour. 7/10

Strain - Super Lemon Haze Block Hash - 10 euros/g
Strong pungent smell and a lovely taste to match, again in the heat this crumbles easily and the gram was quickly finished, my favourite hash of the trip. Strength, flavour and smell 9/10

Strain - Tangie Magic Block hash - 16 euros/g This was the hash I was most excited about before the trip, having heard good things. Perhaps I had just hyped it up in my head but this was a disappointment. The flavour was not there, the smoke made me choke and while it has strength it didn’t justify the price. I would much prefer have a gram of the Super Lemon Haze and a Gram of the Polm from Overkant Hortus for the price. 4/10

Atmosphere - Good, tenders were willing to show me everything I wanted although it was a bit rushed because it was busy. Never visited the Boer chains before but now they will be included every trip. I would love to visit first thing in the morning and chat to the staff and get their recommendations. Didn’t stay and smoke, I think pure smoking is actually enforced but great products 8/10.

Het Ballontje
Strain - G13 MR NICE - 12 Euros/g -
Good smoke again not overpowering but great to mix with my hash cache! Seemed well cured with the right amount of remain moisture, this was probably the most pungent weed of the trip 8/10

Atmosphere - As usual great service and the perfect stop on the way to the Zoo, staff remember your visit in the morning and buzz you into the smoking room, also for some reason the down stairs smoking area is nice for a quick stop. 8/10

Dampkring
Strain - Dr Grinspoon - 14.5 Euros/g
As expected a great smoke, although I don’t believe in indica or sativa or the majority of strain names, I certainly felt a strong ‘sativa’ or head high without couchlock, excellent start to a long night in HSB. Another thing I would note is that this small round ‘grinspoon’ buds but just looked like smaller regular shaped buds, the reason I bought this was the colour and amount of amber hairs. I have never seen bud that looked quite like this, it was incredibly hairy and orangey - I’m not sure if this was genetic or a result of being harvested to quick/late? :?: :?: :?: 7/10.

Strain - JSC - 14.5 Euros/g
Got this as the final big smoke the night before had a half gram in a joint with the last remnants of hash, this was strong and crystal covered and very dense, the same amount took less than half the space of the DR G 8/10.

Strain - DAMPKRING SPACE CAKE 7.5 euros/cake We bought one of both flavours and ate half of each, for me this produced a strong body stone (after a few joints) which left me couch locked for hours. For the other, they fell asleep after about an hour of giggling 8/10

Atmosphere - I might be slightly biased as the Dampkring was my first and favourite coffeeshop, but I really do think they sell good quality weed and hash, and the shop itself looks excellent at night, staff seems to recognise when you pop in each day for a coffee and at night don’t ask these people for ID or really bother you in any way. The only thing I would change is comfortable seating, something like Kashmir Lounge or Hill Street Blues, couches or arm chairs but I guess space and people sleeping stop this 9/10

Other places

Kashmir Lounge - out towards Vondel park, although its very dark at night this is perfect, the front room which has the ‘floor seating’ completes the indian/temple vibe, staff are friendly and the hot chocolate and mint tea are great.

Hill Street Blues - Just of the main RLD great smoking are down stairs, although the window seat is in high demand (we didn’t get it this trip despite 5 visits). Good milkshakes, not quite as good as Dampkring :mrgreen: . Staff are nice and table service is great when you have had a bit too much.

Greenhouse - My favourite coffee shop that is on the RLD canal, great to sit outside a night and enjoy a juice and smoke, although we didn’t buy smoke this trip in the past the quality has been good 8) .

Also Kokopelli, great informative staff, check the shop out if you have not yet!

Overall we had a great trip despite some issues with accommodation, I will never stay anywhere near hostel utopia/ the plug again. :!: :!: :evil: :evil: ended up leaving early to stay elsewhere. Also visited the Plug coffeeshop and wouldn’t go near it again very strange vibe and ‘behaviour’ of the staff. We didn’t get a chance to visit many of the shops on my list between all the activities we done alongside smoking, but I suppose that’s another reason to look for cheap flights ;)

Junglist Movement

Re: Amsterdam / Hague shop and smoke overview.

Post by Junglist Movement »

Nice reviews man!
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Thanks for writing this up dude, great trip report.
8)
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

RedGecko58 wrote: Tue 7th Aug 2018 02:15 am I also don’t consider sativa/indica - the science seems to suggest this is largely made up.
come again?
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

DjShaggy wrote: Mon 13th Aug 2018 10:23 am
RedGecko58 wrote: Tue 7th Aug 2018 02:15 am I also don’t consider sativa/indica - the science seems to suggest this is largely made up.
come again?
It's at least largely exaggerated, as is the white/black ash thing. Cue OHMF to swoop in and school y'all
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Mon 13th Aug 2018 10:25 am
come again?
It's at least largely exaggerated, as is the white/black ash thing. Cue OHMF to swoop in and school y'all
ive got about half a oz of weed that all burns black, ready and waiting for you mate. completley free but you have to smoke it pure without complaining.

it tastes like oily shit and is definatly not fully flushed out.

i dont wanna smoke nutrients. each to their own and that.

and those that smoke with tobacco can keep their mouths shut as it will always burn properly when mixed.
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

DjShaggy wrote: Mon 13th Aug 2018 10:33 am
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Mon 13th Aug 2018 10:25 am

come again?
ive got about half a oz of weed that all burns black, ready and waiting for you mate. completley free but you have to smoke it pure without complaining.

it tastes like oily shit and is definatly not fully flushed out.

i dont wanna smoke nutrients. each to their own and that.

and those that smoke with tobacco can keep their mouths shut as it will always burn properly when mixed.
Hmm well I vape anyway so shall I give you the address to mail it to?

That aside not saying the ash color is complete bullshit but it's not nearly as reliable of an indicator as it's made out to be. Outdoor weed (re: soil medium) doesn't receive a true 'flush' because of the medium in which it's grown. That doesn't mean that it's not well cared for and free of contaminants than weed that has a paler or even ghost white ash. The long and short is that all weed that burns darker ash (perhaps not full black note) is not by default or outright dirtier than all or any weed burning of a shade lighter and vice-versa.

Even same batches of weed clipped of the same lone plant can vary in produced ash color, some might be a bit more speckled, while another rolled joint will produce pure white ash. This just creates a pseudo-elitist fuckboy wanker culture of the instagram homies waiting for the latter to take a pic and brag about their clean weed when half the bag burns not as white as their pics would suggest. Utter bullshit and perpetuation of half-truths, plain and simple - just like and leading to next point which was glossed over...

Indica vs Sativa and strain specific qualities regarding buzz and effects. Extensive recent research (I'll dig for links, but I trust my friend who recently mentioned today - he was cannabis college manager, a devoted grower, cannabis activist and has a science/engineering degree) has shown everything we thought we knew about strains surrounding indica and sativa to be shaky at best and largely propped up as marketing and hype by companies and purveyors in the industry.

EDIT:
CCR: Now, moving onto something more controversial. Here is a statement one can find on the Web: “It is widely accepted that marijuana has two different species:Cannabis indicaandCannabis sativa.” This was of course also the opinion of the great 18th century naturalist, Jean-Baptiste Lamarck, but would academic botanists today agree with this statement?

Dr. Russo: Botanical taxonomists never agree on anything for very long! To paraphrase and expropriate an old Yiddish expression: 12 botanical taxonomists, 25 different opinions. Many classical botanists would argue for Cannabis as one polymorphic species based on the ability of all its types to interbreed. However, if this were true, hundreds of neotropical gesneriads (Gesneriaceae, members of the African violet family) would all be one species since they readily hybridize and produce fertile offspring. It is clear that there are many chemotypes of Cannabis: THC predominant, CBD predominant, and mixed types. This is a good basic classification, but it has also been possible to selectively breed for other chemotypes expressing high titers of THCV, cannabidivarin, cannabichromene, and even ones producing 100% of its cannabinoids as cannabigerol, or others with no cannabinoids at all. The debate continues. Some espouse Cannabis as a single species, while others describe up to four: Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica, Cannabis ruderalis, and Cannabis afghanica (or kafiristanica).6,7

CCR: Some users describe the psychoactive effects ofCannabis indicaandsativaas being distinctive, even opposite. But are they really? Beyond self-reports from users, is there any hard evidence for pharmacologically different species of Cannabis?

Dr. Russo: There are biochemically distinct strains of Cannabis, but the sativa/indica distinction as commonly applied in the lay literature is total nonsense and an exercise in futility. One cannot in any way currently guess the biochemical content of a given Cannabis plant based on its height, branching, or leaf morphology. The degree of interbreeding/hybridization is such that only a biochemical assay tells a potential consumer or scientist what is really in the plant. It is essential that future commerce allows complete and accurate cannabinoid and terpenoid profiles to be available.

CCR:Sativais often described as being uplifting and energetic, whereasindicaas being relaxing and calming. Can you speculate on what could be the basis for these perceived differences?

Dr. Russo: We would all prefer simple nostrums to explain complex systems, but this is futile and even potentially dangerous in the context of a psychoactive drug such as Cannabis. Once again, it is necessary to quantify the biochemical components of a given Cannabis strain and correlate these with the observed effects in real patients. Beyond the increasing number of CBD predominant strains in recent years, almost all Cannabis on the market has been from high-THC strains. The differences in observed effects in Cannabis are then due to their terpenoid content, which is rarely assayed, let alone reported to potential consumers. The sedation of the so-called indica strains is falsely attributed to CBD content when, in fact, CBD is stimulating in low and moderate doses! Rather, sedation in most common Cannabis strains is attributable to their myrcene content, a monoterpene with a strongly sedative couch-lock effect that resembles a narcotic. In contrast, a high limonene content (common to citrus peels) will be uplifting on mood, while the presence of the relatively rare terpene in Cannabis, alpha-pinene, can effectively reduce or eliminate the short-term memory impairment classically induced by THC.2,8

CCR: How do you think one could address thesativa/indicadichotomy in a scientifically sound manner?

Dr. Russo: Since the taxonomists cannot agree, I would strongly encourage the scientific community, the press, and the public to abandon the sativa/indica nomenclature and rather insist that accurate biochemical assays on cannabinoid and terpenoid profiles be available for Cannabis in both the medical and recreational markets. Scientific accuracy and the public health demand no less than this.
https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10. ... .29003.ebr
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

come again?
There is no scientific method to measure the % of indica vs sativa. it's not like determining THC, CBD etc level. indica vs sativa percentages are subjective

years from now we will look back at sativa/indica descriptors and laugh... and laugh.... and laugh. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen
Amsterdam dreaming.............
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

TwoCanucks wrote: Mon 20th Aug 2018 09:40 pm
come again?
There is no scientific method to measure the % of indica vs sativa. it's not like determining THC, CBD etc level. indica vs sativa percentages are subjective

years from now we will look back at sativa/indica descriptors and laugh... and laugh.... and laugh. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen
This...

Just gonna bookmark this for all the others though
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Indica and sativa are botanical classifications for sub-species of the same genus of plant. They are NOT subjective.

There is no way to measure percentages of these things because nomclemature does not exist in the material realm. It’s purely a method of describing one set of properties from another.

My advice to anyone wondering about the sativa/Indica topic would be to start by reading the definition of those words in a dictionary - it doesn’t take very long and might be informative.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

OneHighMofo wrote: Wed 22nd Aug 2018 09:20 am Indica and sativa are botanical classifications for sub-species of the same genus of plant. They are NOT subjective.

There is no way to measure percentages of these things because nomclemature does not exist in the material realm. It’s purely a method of describing one set of properties from another.

My advice to anyone wondering about the sativa/Indica topic would be to start by reading the definition of those words in a dictionary - it doesn’t take very long and might be informative.
I think any mention of subjectivity is not in regards to varying morphology of the two subspecies, but rather purported variance in medicinal and/or psychoactive effects.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Thu 23rd Aug 2018 07:23 am
I think any mention of subjectivity is not in regards to varying morphology of the two subspecies, but rather purported variance in medicinal and/or psychoactive effects.
I think you’re absolutely correct - it’s unfortunately rather easy to purport uneducated bullshit in the internet age. And apparently it’s even easier to get 99% of Stoners to believe it.
RedGecko58

Post by RedGecko58 »

I see this caused a slight bit of debate, anyway hope you enjoyed the report! Adios!
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

OneHighMofo wrote: Thu 23rd Aug 2018 09:05 am
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Thu 23rd Aug 2018 07:23 am
I think you’re absolutely correct - it’s unfortunately rather easy to purport uneducated bullshit in the internet age. And apparently it’s even easier to get 99% of Stoners to believe it.
I said exactly what is above, wtf is the problem? never said indica and sativa are bullshit. i said theres no way to give an exact percentage of indica or sativa makeup on any given strain.

You know what internet bullshit is? It's some dude growing a plant, smokes it, and then says it's 60% indica... thats not science, thats subjective. and thats my point.
Amsterdam dreaming.............
Daz1976

Post by Daz1976 »

Excellent reviews, I did try something similar on my last visit. Started well as I took photos of shop signs of everywhere we visited but didn't take any notes of what I was smoking - convinced myself I'd remember when I got back to my hotel lol 😂😂
Smell the flowers while you can✌️