Eddie's Return to Mokum w/o Wifey

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
private_press

Re: Eddie's Return to Mokum w/o Wifey

Post by private_press » Mon 12th Nov 2018 07:55 pm

Enjoying this TR and the photographs Eddie! I'm looking forward to the next installment :D

samuraiwriter

Post by samuraiwriter » Mon 12th Nov 2018 10:18 pm

private_press wrote:
Mon 12th Nov 2018 07:55 pm
Enjoying this TR and the photographs Eddie! I'm looking forward to the next installment :D
Indeed!

Monkey

Post by Monkey » Tue 13th Nov 2018 01:01 pm

Awesome write up so far!

Im confused by the coffeeshop 420 picture, that looks nothing like the 420 cafe that i have been to on oudebrugsteeg. Where is this magical place? :shock:

2rare2die

Post by 2rare2die » Tue 13th Nov 2018 01:09 pm

Monkey wrote:
Tue 13th Nov 2018 01:01 pm
Awesome write up so far!

Im confused by the coffeeshop 420 picture, that looks nothing like the 420 cafe that i have been to on oudebrugsteeg. Where is this magical place? :shock:
That picture is from another 420 cafe at Singel. Formerly known as Dutch Flowers.

Monkey

Post by Monkey » Tue 13th Nov 2018 07:30 pm

2rare2die wrote:
Tue 13th Nov 2018 01:09 pm
Monkey wrote:
Tue 13th Nov 2018 01:01 pm
Awesome write up so far!

That picture is from another 420 cafe at Singel. Formerly known as Dutch Flowers.
Thanks mate might check that one out' looks quaint :D

notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie » Fri 23rd Nov 2018 02:31 pm

Day 4 - Egor and Faynita arrive and we cross the IJ

Egor and Faynita got in last night. They're late sleepers so I'm on my own for breakfast. I wander around and settle on Toos and Roos.

Interesting interior and the food is pretty good too.
What I don't understand is I'm from Florida and I never drink orange juice at home, but here in Amsterdam I can't get enough of the stuff!

Heading back to the hotel, I make a quick stop for supplies - a space cake for later.

It's 11:00, Drie Vrienden head for Centraal Station and the crossing of the IJ. As it turns out finding the free ferries to cross the IJ is really easy. You walk into the station, find the IJpassage, cross to the other end, and there you are. Right in front of you are the three (3) boarding areas. The 901 or the 907 will take you to A'dam Tower and the Eye Museum, the 905 or the 906 go to NDSM Werf, and the 902 goes to IJplein. As an extra bonus, that's where customer service is located if you have question about train tickets and want to interface with a knowledgeable human, this is the place.

Our first selection is the short route to the tower and the museum. As we board, we see:
After crossing the river, we turn back toward Centraal Station to see:

So its mission accomplished, we have crossed the IJ!

Seeking more adventure, we move toward A'dam Tower. A few minutes later, it's

Having filled our need for adventure, its off to the Eye Museum and its eye-candy

Next up the NDSM Werf

This is a longer ferry ride. At times, it almost feels like an ocean voyage, especially when the waves break over the bow and spray the passengers.

Upon landing, this is what we see:

Hmmmm, not exactly what we expected so we walk around for a bit and then head back to Centraal.

With other goals on our minds

Day 4 (to be continued)

woodz60

Post by woodz60 » Sat 24th Nov 2018 07:29 am

Wonderful trip report, NotSoFast! Great quality & quantity of photos and details- I'm really enjoying your helping me revisit Mokum, vicariously. You're also showing me plenty of new places that I need to check out, if I'm ever able to get back to A'dam. More soon, please? Dank u wel!!
Paranoia Pays, But The Hours Suck!

RoMoney

Post by RoMoney » Sat 24th Nov 2018 08:39 am

Another great installment on what seems to have been a most successful return!! :D

notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie » Fri 30th Nov 2018 05:41 pm

Day 4 Continued:

Having crossed the IJ, it's time to celebrate!

I passed by previously, but it wasn't open. Today it is so in we go.

Time for a couple of beers (Heineken of course :roll:) as this building was the location of the first Heineken brewery. It's also a chance to share some memories. Each of us stayed in the hotel here during our first visits to Amsterdam.

Check out the Delft

Off we go south on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal, its time for another celebration

We think about the Beer Temple, but since it specializes in American craft beer and we can get that at home, we move back a couple of steps to Cafe' Scheltema
and its a Duvel or two for me.

Taking a break from the celebration, it's time for dinner. We decide to go German and head for Wurst & Schnitzelhaus on Prinsengracht.
Nice friendly, neighborly atmosphere, I like this place. I chose the Bratwurst, Pork Schnitzel, Potato Croquets with a large Warsteiner. This is good food! We vow to come here again! Interestingly, as we leave we take a short walk south, a whole new neighborhood is revealed. Future adventure for sure!

Back at the hotel, its time for my evening ritual, starting with:
and a change of pace:

The cake has a little taste of cannabis, but it's nicely chocolate. The cake's texture is similar to the Softland cake.

The high: Onset is a little slower around thirty-five (35) minutes. Like the other cakes, ignoring Bette Boop's cake, it's definitely an UP, a good daytime "Things to Do" high! Nicely cerebral opening creative channels. However, this cake has an added dimension. It seems to be impacting the effects of gravity! :mrgreen: I always thought that "couch lock" was attitudinal, but perhaps it's gravitational! Again I rate the experience at 8.0 on a ten (10) point scale. In retrospect, the high is a bit shorter earning a deduction, but the added dimension puts the points back.

Closing down for the night, we get

in honor of the night's change of pace!

Next: Day 5

courtjester

Post by courtjester » Sat 1st Dec 2018 08:52 pm

Excellent.

notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie » Sat 8th Dec 2018 09:56 pm

Day 5:

Day 5 gets off to a slow start! It might have something to do with the interaction of Cognac and Cannabis.

It's a beautiful Mokum day so there's no time to waste :)

The Drie Vrienden have plans. We're going to Haarlem to visit the Grote Kerk, Grote Markt, and some coffeeshops. We're going to Zandvoort to view the Atlantic looking west, and we're going to check out the neighborhood that we discovered last night.

It's Leidsekruisstraat, just south of coffeeshops Easy Times and Super Skunk / Tops, take a quick right.

Off we go to Centraal Station, were going to take the train to Zandvoort for a quick visit and then stop in Haarlem on the way back home. We go through the IJpassage to get our tickets as we can't go to Zandvoort directly, but have to change trains in Haarlem. Mission accomplished, we have tickets to Zandvoort even though we have to change trains so we board and we're on our way. Egor says he overheard someone saying that we will need to take a bus. I laugh and say that we don't have to worry. I've done this before and it is train all the way :oops: :!:

Man plans and God Laughs - episode 3

At Haarlem station, we are informed the tracks to Zandvoort are closed for repairs on weekends. However, "special" :lol: arrangements have been made to provide bus transportation. After a discussion, we modify our plan. Outvoted two (2) to one (one), we're off to the beach. Given the delays, I had hoped to hit Haarlem first, but neither Egor nor Faynita have been to Zandvoort. So Zandvoort it is! People are queued up waiting for transport to the beach.
Here's the line, actually it's half of the line, waiting for the bus.

It takes a third bus before we board and are finally on our way. We then discover that, while it isn't making any stops, this is the slowest bus we've ever been on. It's about 12Km to Zandvoort. The train makes the trip in less than fifteen (15) minutes; the bus takes almost one (1) hour.

Here we are, we've made it!

Interestingly, it's October 13 and this is the last weekend before the beach pavilions close for the winter. In fact some of the pavilions (cafes and restaurants) are already closed. More interestingly, they're not just closed they're disassembled, torn down and won't be resurrected until February. February, that seems strange, as I always thought that February is the middle of winter. With winds coming off the Atlantic and temperatures around 4C, I rather be somewhere else than this beach. Florida seems like a good choice :D

We have lunch at one of the beach pavilions and it's pretty good. Of course, there's a bit of beer too!

Time to head for Haarlem. Once again we wait a while before we are on a bus. This bus is a "regular" bus. It's very, very full, makes plenty of stops and, better yet, it isn't airconditioned. It's hot, too hot, but we eventually make it back to Haarlem station.

Given the rigors of the day, we decide to head back to the hotel for happy hour (socialization, free wine, small world realizations) and the prospects of further adventures before the day is over. We still have an interesting neighborhood to check out.

Magically, before we board the train home, Faynita provides a pre-roll! Weakening, I abandon the edibles experiment for a day and inhale deeply. Too deeply, I'm an edibles guy so I cough and hack all the way back to home base! Still, the immediacy of the high does have great appeal! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Day 5 (to be continued)

notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie » Mon 17th Dec 2018 04:46 pm

Day 5 (continued)

So far Day 5 has been a bit of a disappointment. We enjoyed Zandvoort and lunch on the ocean, but the Haarlem coffeeshop tour has been cancelled. Still the day isn't over so the Drie Vrienden will continue the day's adventure.

It's another beautiful day in Mokum so we pass on the free wine at the hotel and instead enjoy more time outside with a couple of beers.

Our reward a boat parade

A couple of hits on another magically appearing Faynita pre-roll and we are on our way to Leidsekruisstraat and dinner at the Pantry. But first, in passing, we check out

Bourbon Street and the Blues Brothers.

Recommended by the waitress at Wurst & Schnitzelhaus, we head for the Pantry.

There's a forty-five (45) minute wait, but right across the street we see

In we go and a little bit later it's
Stamppot!

This meal is guaranteed to turn abs to flabs. :roll:

Stuffed we are thinking about an early evening so we start to head back to the hotel. However, a mystery presents itself!

What's that on the other side of Prisengracht. A beacon of light to be investigated. Crossing over we see

It's a party and a Bombay Gin party at that! What a great place is Amsterdam :!: You get coffeeshops, fetish lounges, and Bombay Gin parties. :shock: 8)

Mystery solved, we continue back toward the hotel with a quick stop at Easy Times to pick up a space cake. This will not be part of the ongoing review as I'm already, thanks to another opportunity to experience Faynita's magic a "bit in the bag!" I get the cake. It looks good, but its just placed on a napkin. It will be difficult to transport so It disappears on the spot with eventual decent results. It doesn't cut through, but adds so not outstanding, but decent! Deduct one (1) point for transportability! :mrgreen:

It's been a long day so a little Scotch,
some MP3 music,

and sleep comes quickly!

Day 6: Tomorrow it's Albert Cuyp Market and a trip to the Red Light District.

samuraiwriter

Post by samuraiwriter » Mon 24th Dec 2018 12:14 pm

Love this, thanks!

pengaldinho

Post by pengaldinho » Fri 28th Dec 2018 11:33 am

Glad you made it back Eddie! Really enjoyed reading the report and looking at the pics, the SpongeBob/Zandvoort sign is cool. Looking forward to the rest...
http://www.youtube.com/user/HinduDeathCabbage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri 1st Feb 2019 08:38 pm

Cracking read this Eddie, loving it and the pic's you have taken are top class, keep it up enjoying it.
Don't Blink Or Your Miss Me!!

Return to “Travelogues”