A very late Report - March 2019

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
djreign

A very late Report - March 2019

Post by djreign »

A very late report, from various notes, ramblings or musings I made over the weekend.

Thursday
Got off to a decent start. An early rise on my little island off the south coast, a 0430 ferry and was in my local airport for 6am. Flight is on time at 7.30.

I do like this little south coast airport, nice and quiet, plenty of seats and boarding is painless. So much better than 20 years of London airports. Flight was, well, a flight, nothing exciting. I listened to music, read a book and got wound up by some yoots sitting nearby. Landed a little early, then the long transit round to our parking spot. Off, through customs and in the main hall for 10am. Will this be as easy next year after Brexit....who knows.

On the train and start the very familiar journey. Arrive in Centraal, everyone says it, I'll say it again. No matter how many times I step out of the station, the sounds, the smells, it gets me every time. This is trip 37 or something but I am still just as giddy as the first. I've booked a room at Voyagers so head straight there.

A nice welcome from everyone and a result, my room is already, err, ready. Can't remember what floor it was but it was better than the single at the top I've used before. Nice big bed, private bathroom, I'll be happy in here.

I do like Diesel strains so first purchase was Sour Diesel at Voyages upon check in. A really tasty purchase and exactly what I wanted as a start. Next stop was to be 137, my all time favourite shop. Not to be sadly, it was rammed.

Onto Paradox. Another shop I always visit, just a real relaxing place to sit for a while. 1g Super Silver Haze, €10 it was nice, not the best but certainly okay. It's more about the entire experience for me. If it's a nice place to sit but maybe not the best weed, so be it. That said, I've had great things here over the years and the cakes are always nice.

A trip to AH behind the palace to stock up on all sorts, beer, juice, coffee, croissant etc. Made a note that it was cold, really cold and ridiculous winds. After ramming all the food stuffs in the panniers it was back to the hotel to do some work.

Having the nice big room was great and I sat comfortably at the table and proceeded to answer some emails. I had a quick smoke out the window and then got back to more. During which a fucking mouse appeared from god knows where and ran across the keyboard. Jumpup and shit myself? 100% Nearly have a heart attack? Pretty close. After composing myself I somehow herded it towards the door whereupon it amazingly shot through the tiniest gap. Regain A semblance of calm and returned to work.

The winds were still bad but I wanted to got to Het Balontje and it was early afternoon now. I'd never been there and have read so may great things. It's not too far from Voyagers, so off I set. When I say the winds were bad, coming down the Nieuwe Prinsengracht was almost impossible. The winds were insane but it was gloriously sunny in between bouts of torrential rain. I finally got to HB and it like 137 was rammed. No seats anywhere. I decided to go and take some pics of the Margere Brug and sit canal side to smoke. From there I went onto the Bridge of 15 Bridges for more pics. Some good, some bad, but a very pretty area. After that, I went to Tertulia. I think I got NYDiesel, it's always been good. I do like it here and always stop in at some point. Damn uncomfortable chairs but I can easily while away an hour reading here quite happily. They were playing some cool music in here. Stuck in the Middle by Stealers Wheel.
Back to base after this. Shower, check emails and out for something to eat. The weather again was awful so I settled for Batavia as it didn't look to busy from my window. I had a double helping of Bitterballen, tasty and filling. I stayed for about an hour and had a couple of beers and the weather finally improved.

Was getting late and I was beginning to wane. I fancied some a Kush and somewhere I hadn't been today. DK2/PinkFloyd/CoffeeshopAmsterdam/whatever they call it these days. They had Hindu Kush which I've always from Club Media. This one was okay but not as tasty. Still a little of the earl grey taste I got from CM's version. I went o La Grotte with the bag for coffee and maybe a final beer of the night. Back to the hotel for some Bill Burr and I fall blissfully asleep. A decent start to my 5 days.

Friday
I awoke nice and early on Friday, a benefit of having a son of school age, I'm programmed to be up. I decided to go and watch Captain Marvel, they had in in 4D. I popped down to Club Media for some Champagne Haze @ €12.50 before going back up Vijzelstraat to the Pathe cinema. Ticket purchased and strapped into my seat in a relatively empty theatre. Film was good fun and 4D was good, especially after the Champagne Haze. Came out of the movie and it was lunchtime. I really just wanted something on the fly so went back to Albert Cuyp market. A fish course of Kibbling which was a deliciously greasy treat. Garlic dip and I was most happy. A slow mooch onwards and I was at the turning for Katsu. Always reliable. Space outside to sit, people watch and read a little. 1g of Sour Diesel Blueberry @ €14, now this was something else. The taste was really pronounced. The Voyagers Sour yesterday was nice but this was even better with the blueberry taste fighting the diesel. Really really nice. Went straight back in to get another g. After sitting for an hour or so I headed to the museum district. Weather for now, was staying dry. I visited the Moco Museum. I like it. I've seen their Bansky collection a few times and the other featured artists are always strong. This time, Daniel Arsham, interesting. After this I returned to the hotel to work and recharge phone.

Fri pm
Again the heavens opened. It poured down. I did not want to go too far, but I wanted to eat and get some more supplies. I decided to go to Johnny, I've only been once before. It was empty. 1G Gorilla Glue Ice which I sampled in the little smoking room. Really tasted strong but a pain to use as it was so sticky. It was still raining but I was hungry and wanted to keep going with the ice. Decided on La Grotte, rubbish burger and chips, a couple of beers and more GG Ice. The weather was not improving so I headed towards Voyagers around 10. Picked 1g of Sherbert @ €15. Tasty and sparkly on a dry toke. Certainly tastes citrusy. Had 1 last beer in Batavia and was back to hotel for 11.

Saturday
Saturday was all about the markets and finding some gifts for home. I traipsed round Westerstraat Market, had some Erwtensoep for breakfast, then headed to Nordermarkt, via a quick stop at Winkel43 for some apple pie and coffee. After all that I was ready to head to Waterlooplein Market. It's much smaller these days. I ended getting a vintage Kimono in the Episode store down there for €50. The wife was well happy.

In the afternoon, I went to Relax. It had recently had a refurb completed and is now more modern/uncomfortable whereas before, it was a little more brown cafe in decor. They're still nice enough in there so I sat for a few hours and got 2g of the Lemon Haze Block. I have no notes on the price, only that I liked it. Back to hotel. My son wanted his gift to be a new specific mouse, for his PC. I found the nearest store - MediaMarkt on the Oosterdokskade. I left Voyagers in sunshine and within seconds it turned to howling winds, rain and by the time I got to MM it was hailing. I was drenched. They did not have said mouse so a wasted trip and I was now soaked. Back top Voyagers to dry off jeans.

Sat pm was again kept fairly local as I was well stocked and the weather was rubbish. Sufficed with some tapas over near singel and finished the night in Batavia.

Sunday.
Another dreadful day of crap weather. Up early again and set off to La Grotte for breakfast. As much as I love fine dining, I always end up in places I can eat and smoke while here. Had the Uitsmijter with bacon and cheese which was great, with an espresso - Maybe €15. After spending some time here, I braved the elements again and headed back to Relax. The rain was torrential. At Relax I got 1g Somango €14? I've been lucky on this trip and not really had anything bad. This is a nice example, crispy and crumbly. I stayed in Relax for quite some time. I made note of some poor Justeat guy in full sea going fare, goggles and all. He saw me sat watching from the window, put his thumb up and cycled off. When the weather improved I went and did some more shopping on the main drag and popped back to Voyagers. Got a gram of the Kaligria @ €10, as I expected it to be, nice and tasty. Quick shower and I was back out for the evening. Weather has improved, ,no rain but it is cold. I headed back to Relax as I wanted to try the Strawberry Banana Kush @ €14. I'm glad I did. I made note that it tasted like a strawberry Frij milkshake. Stayed and watched a football highlights show. It featured the dutch league and Premiership. Interestingly there was an awful match in Emmen, they played in snow. Premier league would have been called off for sure. Left about 10 and headed to Batavia for a nightcap.

Monday
Last bit of shopping. Off to Vans for a rucksack for the boy. Then finally into 137 for the last few hours before leaving. Stuck with a final 2 grams of their dutch haze @ €10pg. Had a really good chat with the BT here, the younger blonde one, he's a decent chap. he talked about the USA stuff being sold and about something they add in the growing period which the dutch do not. NO idea what it was as I didn't make any notes. Stayed for the final 3 hours, dropped bike off and then made that horrid journey back to Schippol. It's always a sad train ride, knowing it will likely be a year until I return.

All in all, a great trip marred massively by the weather. Looking back I had a lot of Soury fruity things which given my love of all things diesel makes sense.

Going back next week and hoping to make it to some shops I've never visited and for better weather.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading :)

petesmythe

Re: A very late Report - March 2019

Post by petesmythe »

Nice report, that Amsterdam weather can be harsh. Im there in a couple of weeks, thanks for reminding me to take the thermals!!
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Thanks for sharing 8) :mrgreen: hope you have better weather for your trip this time
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
HitTheNorth

Post by HitTheNorth »

Good stuff, shame about the weather but sounds like you had a good time. Seemed to hear Stuck In The Middle everywhere I went on last weeks jaunt 😅
HitTheNorth

Post by HitTheNorth »

Also saw someone on facebook mention voyagers rodents. Ewww
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Thanks for sharing that, looks like the weather didn't play ball, but that can happen some times, glad you had a good trip.
Chase the Green to live the Dream :mrgreen: 8) :D
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

You paid to sleep in a room that had rodents living in it?

I would have been very loudly getting a replacement room downstairs! Loud enough that the people sitting in Batavia know that the place is infested
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Strawberries

Post by Strawberries »

Nice report. :thumbup:
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

You never know what kind of weather you’ll get while in town. Good to hear you made the most of it. I guess Voyagers needs a couple more cats to keep the rodents at bay. :lol:

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Great report! I, too, appreciate La Tertulia and a good sit at Paradox even if the wares are not up to par. The vibe and ambiance are great there!
titus wong

Post by titus wong »

A very late reply to A very late Report. Nicely done. Spent a lot myself at both the 137 and Relax. In general, agree with ur taste in case. Seek out neighborhood gems.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Nice report, thanks for sharing Titus!
Bring back Imelda Marcos!