April 8-10th 2008

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Tall Guy

April 8-10th 2008

Post by Tall Guy »

DAY ONE Image

After 502 Amsterdam-free days, the 4AM alarm call couldn't come fast enough, and even after 4 hours sleep, it was time to Wake and Bake. A couple of strong coffees and mild spliffs later I rang my mate J who was going along with me, and sure enough, he was up and ready too. The flight was smooth but some delay meant our plane had to circle around a few times before landing, causing the flight to be a marathon 60 minutes. On the descent into Schipol I took a couple of snaps from the plane window, marvelling at the engineering skills which made this country.

At Schipol J was struggling to keep up with my walking pace as I strode eagerly onwards through the Tuesday morning crowds, with a nice buzz going it seems like you're walking at 50mph on those flat moving walkways. Downstairs we scored train tickets, I asked for them in Dutch and was totally baffled by his reply - he laughed at my blank expression and flipped seamlessly into English "Sorry, I thought you were fluent!". I only know about 10 words in Dutch, so I don't know how that happened. Must be the blond hair that fooled him. Down on the platform we realised a train was only 3 minutes away, and right on time it arrived. With only hand luggage we had a textbook journey, and less than an hour from touchdown I was scoring some NL5XHaze (€12) from the Rokerij on the Singel, while J got the drinks in. Tasty old-skool smoke that always hits the spot on a sunny morning. The sun streamed in and we grinned at each other and agreed that this last-minute trip was a very good idea. A quick chat with some Swiss guys next to us revealed that they had some Swiss buds with them! (indoor). They passed it around and we enjoyed sampling their efforts. About now it starts getting a bit blurry as Amsterdam's finest worked it's magic.

I did buy some Malika hash later too (not Rifman though), and it was a disappointment. I'm pretty sure that this stuff gave me a terrible headache, and it wasn't a good buzz for me. It looked and smelled lovely but didn't do it for me.

Next stop was the 420 Cafe where J grabbed a bag of nice White Widow for €6 or 7. As always, a nice spot to spend an hour or 2. By now I was really hungry, and the bakery opposite was calling me - a cheese and ham croissant and chocolate chip pastry fired me up and the widow was very nice for the money.

Onwards to Basjoe, a place that seems to get rave reviews that I had never visited before. The shop is comfy enough, and the Orange Bud at €7 (as recommended by Boner) was good (in fact it totally wasted J for a while), but the 2 owners weren't very friendly at all. As it was now sleet/snowing quite heavily we stayed a while and I took a few more photos to amuse myself while J sat and chilled. The last 2 purchases proved that you can still get great quality buds for under €8/g in the Centrum. If you choose well, that price will get you much better weed than you would find in most of the world. My hash headache really put me off trying others this time, I think Waterworks was the only other one I tried.

Suddenly realising that it was past check-in time at the hotel, we stumbled up Warmoesstraat in the sleet and reached the familiar faces at the Hotel Winston. Although some of the rooms are getting a bit shabby, renovations are taking place, and the general vibe of this place makes up for it's shortcomings. J was less impressed, being used to plusher places than me, but even he thought the place was OK. The staff are all great, and they have outstanding vending machine munchies, very important for stoners!

After checking in we ended up in the GHE bar as it was still sleeting and it was close.

We chatted to the barman and a local dude for a while and eventually moved on to the Tweede Kamer for supplies. Feeling very stoned and headache-y I popped a 600mg Ibuprofen and asked the 'tender what was the most uplifting smoke on the menu - "John Sinclair" (€8/g) was his immediate reply, and John Lennon's slide guitar from the song he wrote about Sinclair looped through my brain as I waited for my weed. The weed did the job nicely, enough for me to buy a big bag of it as we left! Fantastic taste and high - but here's the weird thing: the first joint made me cough like crazy, but subsequent ones didn't at all...in all my years of smoking I've never had that happen before. A Turkish couple sat down next to us and we all got on really well, sharing different weeds and stories. They had a football match to go to, but took us for a walk up the canals towards Haarlemmerstraat en-route, and by now the clouds had gone and the light was amazing, so I took some photos and thanked the weather gods for such good luck in early April - with the sun, if not the temperature.

After our new friends left we somehow ended up walking through the RLD and were amazed at how few street dealers approached us. I think only once did we hear "Pssst coke, ex-ta-seeeeee". Lots of cops around, which is a good thing in my book - although I was disappointed not to see the 2 cops from TV's Amsterdam Nights!

J's exacting requirements on the food front meant that we walked miles looking for a restaurant (Why we chose the RLD area, I have no idea at all), eventually hitting the point where we were both running on Empty and fast getting desperate for anything, we settled on Stones Bar near the hotel for a burger and chips. The barmaid looked horrified when I asked if we could smoke, strange when they have a coffeeshop just up the street. The food was good and reasonable at about €10, but my hunger demanded more, so we headed to Rene's Croissants for a custard pastry.

I really can't remember what happened after that, some more coffeeshops and then some more joints back at the hotel. We saw a group of pensioners touring the RLD quite late on, one of those Amsterdam happenings that I would have thought was a dream if I hadn't got some photos :D

A fantastic first day all round, days 2&3 coming soon.

U-Roy

Post by U-Roy »

Thank you so much for the beautiful pics!

Peace...
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Amazing pics...looks like the construction at Basjoes STILL a work in progress ... maybe I'd get grumpy lookin at that for 6 straight months
Boner

Post by Boner »

Mighty fine report and some amazing pics, you have a really good eye.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
DrGonzo

Post by DrGonzo »

Thanks TG. The pics are awesome, I especially love the counter at 420.........
When the going gets weird, the weird get going!
Paco

Post by Paco »

Some really great shots,I like your style.

Thanks!

Cant wait to read more... :wink:
geoffk

Post by geoffk »

Thumbs up!
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Awesome M8!!
Makes my mouth water just looking at the pics!!
Ash333

Post by Ash333 »

Sounds great. How was the swiss bud?
Tall Guy

Post by Tall Guy »

Thanks folks, plenty more to come. Ash - the Swiss Bud was good, tasted minty fresh, but the NL5XHaze was already hitting hard when he passed it, so I couldn't really say very accurately. I was impressed that they brought some to share around though, true stoners. 8) The next day I met a cool Austrian couple in the same spot strangely enough. Popular with mountain people.
geoffk

Post by geoffk »

Really like the pics by the way. Some of the best I've seen. Reminds how much fun it is wander 'round staring at something that someone else might take for granted, but seems to catch your eye.
Tall Guy

Post by Tall Guy »

DAY TWOImage

I woke up very late (for me) about 9am with the bells of the Oudekerk ringing outside and the sun shining. Ah! Another beautiful day in paradise. The contents of my weed box were mostly empty bags with smudged scrawling on them, at least 10, so I must have missed out a few of yesterday's purchases in this report. If it wasn't for the photo sequence I wouldn't have a clue what happened and when. I notice that we slid another meal in somewhere yesterday (from the photos), a truly awful Dutch speciality called krokette or similar. The Cafe just around the corner from 420 - Blom - is usually good, but I stupidly tried to impress the Dutch waitress by ordering something more local than mozzarella and pesto. Essentially it was a deep fried, hard log of potatoey stuff with mystery meat inside. The waitress promised there wasn't any horsemeat in it, but I have my doubts. Served in a hotdog bun, even the mustard and pickles couldn't rescue me, and I gave up after one mouthful - ah, now I remember, that's why I needed the croissant. The waitress wasn't impressed at all, and I skulked out, back to 420. I should have followed Mr Miyagi's example and stuck to the frites...

Back to the story...my big bag of John Sinclair from Dampkring still had a couple of grams in it, and I remembered some Diesel (as recommended by Sh@dy, very nice weedindeed, just what Diesel should be, more citrus than exhaust fumes, but not worth €2/g more than the JS to me), so I rolled up a spliff with a mix of the two and just a hint of baccy and smoked it leaning out of the window, overlooking the RLD and the Winston's back garden. By the time I'd showered (great powershowers at the Winston) and smoked another it was nearly the end of breakfast, so I went down and filled up on cornflakes, juice, crusty bread, cheese, cherry jam and coffee. J is a late riser so I left him to sleep and went out for walk.

Warmoesstraat is so much different in the morning, with normal people going about their daily business. I passed the flower shop with the shop dog watching the world go by.

Walking out of the RLD onto the bridge, I was blinded by the bright crisp sunlight, but nice for a photo or two - damn that crane.
*Cliched Photo Alert*
I went a bit further
As I strolled over to the Rokerij on the Singel, J phoned to say that he was awake and getting his shit together, so I went on to the Rokerij and smoked some more John Sinclair, knocked back a couple of coffees and chatted to the Dutch/Moroccan barmaid who is always very friendly and happy. The dealer here is a nice bloke too, but a bit keen to sell you as much as possible!

J arrived and we smoked a couple more, some White Widow from yesterday and the dregs of Basjoe Orange bud. I wanted to get to Grey Area early before the crowds...

Along the way we passed by the usual variety of the weird and wonderful, including this happy fella
A few fruit stands.
Image.
Small dogs.
Savage dogs (not really).
Determined sunbathers.
Smart Cars.
WTF?!
Head shops. Lots of head shops.
Shiny Happy bikes
The latest oriental fashions.
A man with a Shaorma on his head.
Strange graffiti - Fears? Pears? Who is?
Mr Multatuli - Poet? Philosopher? Explorer? must look it up.

John was serving and had a big tub of Chocolope (€13/g), so I got an eighth (3,5g) and stared at all the stickers while he weighed out my Henry.
I like this place a lot, despite being busy all the time, John always has time for a pleasant word and makes you feel like a valued customer.

Round the corner at Amnesia we indulged in a couple of Strawberry milkshakes each and rolled up the Chocolope.

As I said in the Strain section, it didn't quite live up to expectations, but was certainly very nice weed, smelling and tasting very fruity and being one of those indica/sativa mixes that makes you feel nice and stoned but not totally incoherent. Good sparkly daytime strolling weed. I went outside to have a look while J got some more drinks in, and found the Buick from the pic above. This thing must be a nightmare to drive in Amsterdam, but it reminded me of the US cop shows of my youth. And how much does a full tank of fuel cost these days?

Just after I took these, I took some shots of a small canal boat passing by, and as I looked through the camera, one of the women on the boat lifted up her top and flashed me - I hit the button and nothing happened! *FULL MEMORY CARD* flashed up, unbelievably bad timing considering there were over 500 pics on the card :cry: I swear that's 100% true.

Next stop: Abraxas, then 420, lots of walking. Bit of a hole in my memory here until we went to the Thai Bird restaurant on Zeedijk later on. We hadn't booked, but were told there was only a 15 minute wait so we said fine and had a drink in the front bar, after only about 5 minutes they called us through, and a beautiful Thai girl in a silk dress took our order. We had chicken skewers with peanut curry sauce (delicious, quite spicy, topped with crushed roast peanut and fried shallots), Spring Rolls (as good as they get, with proper sweet chilli dipping sauce and no hint of grease) followed by Chicken with cashew nuts (basic stir-fry but very tasty and crunchy, definitely Thai, not Chinese style) and Green Curry with chicken. This was so good I nearly passed out! the best green curry I have ever tasted, by far. Fiery hot, sweet, savoury, creamy, coconutty and highly addictive. It's like your taste buds have gone insane, in a good way, and J agreed 100% as we nearly came to blows over the last spoonful. Without drinks the bill was only about €15 each, it was great value too.

After another desert stop at Rene's Croissanterie we went down Damstraat to the Bluebird. We didn't get a seat on the sofa, and there was a bad smell - cabbagey - so we headed for Dampkring. Or so I thought. Somehow I got us totally lost and ended up walking miles, finally coming to the NEMO centre in the eastern Docklands. At least we walked off some calories, but it was late by the time we got to Dampkring - about 10.30ish, so ordered a €10 sliver of €40 Waterworks, and a pre-rolled Waterworks joint to get me back to planet stoned, pronto. J surprised me by having a few drags, as he doesn't smoke nearly as much as me, but after most of the pre-roll and another with the €40 gear and god knows what else thrown in, I was very very stoned. A trip to the toilet was quite a challenge at one point, and the cat seemed to be talking a lot of sense...we were surprised that it didn't close until one, so we smoked a few more and left when they closed. I really like the Dampkring, we should be more adventurous, but with only 3 days it's tempting to go to the places you know and trust. Sorry I can't remember more details on the weed, I know that I forgot all about Cheese and Nepalese Temple Balls. We talked to loads of people in coffeeshops and passed round lots of joints, and had loads passed to us, so it all blurs together in my memory.

I think we went straight back to the hotel after that and had a couple of joints and half the contents of the vending machine.
Pala

Post by Pala »

Really, really enjoyable photos. I'm gonna have to go back and see what/if you've posted before. Me Likey.

Is that the gal from Norway behind the bar at 420? We met her on her first day at work, about a week or so before the beer went away. She was fun.

I love how you inverted the Basjoe photos. Too bad about the construction. I spent several nights sitting in that window looking across the gracht at the apartments and Zuiderkerk on the other side. Maybe you can't actually see the kerk from the window, but I remember it that way.

thanks again,
chuckje.
DrGonzo

Post by DrGonzo »

Hey TG, are you a photographer by trade? These really are some excellent shots..... you should put a gallery together, I'm sure someone with your talent could make a few quid at it..... seems like a really cool way to earn a crust too.

I'm more of the "Take 1000's and pick the best" brigade....... and I still don't get the great atmosphere in the shots that you do.

Honestly, brilliant.
When the going gets weird, the weird get going!
Matt_B

Post by Matt_B »

Great report and amazing pics! Like others have said, you really have an eye for a good photo. Thanks for taking the time.