April 8-10th 2008

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Twichaldinho

Post by Twichaldinho »

Matt_B wrote:Great report and amazing pics! Like others have said, you really have an eye for a good photo. Thanks for taking the time.
Wot he said man :D

Endure
Sir Ian of Tokesville

Post by Sir Ian of Tokesville »

As I posted elsewhere. . . Pure class ! Thankyou for the tour.
rks0

Post by rks0 »

Great stuff mate.
courtjester

Post by courtjester »

Fabulous stuff, Tall Guy. I wish I could remember to take pictures, much less take them the way you do.
Johnny J

Post by Johnny J »

I enjoyed your photos very much.

!!joHnNY J!!
stew1974

Post by stew1974 »

/o
Last edited by stew1974 on Tue 19th May 2009 05:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tall Guy

Post by Tall Guy »

stew1974 wrote:Quality photos TG, just wondering what camera and lenses you used? My father took up photography as a hobby when he retired and i have taken it up also , common ground. I only have canon 400d at the moment with 2 okay lenses (100mm 2.8f macro and 17-40mmL ) need another one.
Similar kit to you, Stew:

Canon EOS 20D
Canon 17-40mm f4 L - most of the shots here. Love this lens.
Canon 50mm f1.4 - low light and blurred background shots.
Circular Polarising Filter.

RAW files converted in Adobe LightRoom.
Tall Guy

Post by Tall Guy »

DAY THREEImage

Today started just like yesterday did - joint, shower, joint, breakfast, albeit with the slightly bizarre addition of a huge group of Danish schoolkids who had arrived at the Winston. School trips didn't extend to the RLD of Amsterdam in my day. The ganja fumes drifting in from the bar probably gave them a whole new appreciation of the van Gogh museum!

As J was still asleep, I fell into my routine of walking and snapping, eventually reaching the Rokerij.
J eventually phoned and I got told off for using my phone in the coffeeshop...makes a change from my usual camera-based bollockings :lol:

J was in desperate need of good food, so after checking out of the Winston, we hit the nearest good bet - de Bakkerswinkel. J had a full-on breakfast, and despite having already eaten, managed to slide in a portion of apple cake- layers of apple bathed in gooey sweet cinnamon and brown sugar. Coffee was rubbish here, surprisingly.

Back on Damrak I notice that Teasers was re-opened, and only 10% less sleazy than before...

We wanted to have a look in the Dampkring grow shop,

After the nicest photo-bollocking of the trip - "...as long as you're using them for good, not evil, mate" :lol: we moved on down the canal and set up camp in Amnesia for the morning shift. I really don't recall what we were smoking, but there was some Chocolope and Waterworks (€40) involved. We got talking to a great bloke from Devon who was smoking solo, then our attention was diverted to the next table where one of Amsterdam's unique residents had arrived.
Although he cost us Euros, hash, juices, coffees and weed, it was worth every cent. Even the coin requested for a makeshift plectrum had to be a big one :lol: The Amnesia guys eventually turned down the stereo to allow Jan his big moment, and he belted out some old tune (er...no, can't remember), and collected a few coins. He was very grateful and cool, so if you see him around, buy him a drink and a smoke!

At some point in all this chaos we had started talking to two Americans from the Midwest, J2 and D. They had just arrived 4 hours ago, with J2 on his first trip to Dam, so they were smoking pretty heavily. Big fat doobies were passed our way so often it was actually starting to get to the "No, not AGAIN!" stage, but I used the opportunity to practise for the tobacco ban, and started to really enjoy neat joints again - or spleeeefs as J2 called them. These boys had been smoking for 40 years or more, all day, everyday possibly, and were a great advert for pot, and funny as hell. We staggered across the Dam to find some kind of military parade going on.
Then D took us to the Greenhouse as he wanted to say hello to Arjan and some others, I bought some Jack Herrer for €7 or €8 and enjoyed the place despite my initial doubts. Really friendly staff, good weed and a nice crowd - what more could you want. We never did meet Arjan, but D looked at his watch and realising that it was nearly 4.20PM, decided that we should go and meet John Sinclair himself at the Cannabis College. As I had been enjoying his weed it seemed like a plan, but unfortunately he wasn't there. The rest of the group wanted beer, so we went to some bar in the RLD and watched window girls and punters through the window, while the hands on my watch spun round way too quickly.

The afternoon flew by in a haze of great conversation and D's doobies, it's a shame we only met these guys on the last day. That's one of the unique things about Amsterdam for me - we met great people from all over the world, you just don't get that where I live.

Viva Amsterdam.
Paco

Post by Paco »

Great pics,great report.
All in all, GREAT! :wink:
Boner

Post by Boner »

Awesome.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
matty

Post by matty »

Thanks for the report, both amusing and entertaining in equal measures. An extra thanks for all the photos, many familiar scenes and sights for me- you must have looked like a Japanese tourist, taking all those photos as you went along. Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing.
Bernum

Post by Bernum »

nice flicks and writeup . thanks.
Twichaldinho

Post by Twichaldinho »

AWWW, that dug is cute as fuck man.

Great stuff TG.
Endure
freewheelin frank

Post by freewheelin frank »

outstanding report...after enjoying a smoke, I began your photo/text journey through Amsterdam...just the right narration to support the great pics! I will be there in 2 weeks but after seeing your report the desire has grown 2 fold!
Thanks!
rks0

Post by rks0 »

Nice report.
Much appreciated.