Visit in January 2017

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
djgtp

Visit in January 2017

Post by djgtp »

First post so hello all. Keep up the good work. Amazingly useful stuff on here.

I'm visiting for 3 days in early January with my wife who isn't much of a smoker. I can find a lot of the info I need already but have some specific questions that hopefully you can help out with.

1) Staying in Park Hotel, Leidseplein
2) Local CS choices narrowed down to Noon, Rookies, Easy Times, Superskunk and possibly Kashmir Lounge
3) I don't smoke tobacco and use vape (Arizer solo) at home so am lookin for places with vapes and bongs I can use
4) Would be good to know places where we can both be happy ie smoke (pipes / bongs) and drink alcohol
5) As it's just me buying and smoking would be gd to find places that do €10 deals rather than grams at varying prices. Would like to try as many as possible but can only really see myself toking 4g at most
6) Interested in quality rather than quantity but nothing too heavy going as we want to see the city this time!
7) Will I find a lot of places are closed in January?

Bearing these things in mind I wondered where people could recommend?

Thanks in advance

OneHighMofo

Re: Visit in January 2017

Post by OneHighMofo »

1) never stayed there
2) Noon, Rookies, Easy Times and Kashmir Lounge are all great (not that I've been to the latter but trust the judgement of those that have). Stay away from Superskunk if I were you. It's a nice little place with a great location but they immediately offered me a bag of a product well known to be contaminated with fake terpenes. That's an immediate no-no in my book.
3) You'll be fine taking your vape with you should you choose to. Just make sure it's clean for the flight out and you'll be fine. If not - all CS's have bongs (use at your own risk - they're often dirty. Club Media have the cleanest bongs in town in my experience) and a lot of shops have verdampers or volcanoes to use. Off the top of my head: Paradox, Barneys, 137, Katsu, Bluebird, Amnesia, Club Media all have a device to use. There are LOADS more I'm sure. The map on the smokers guide website has a decent filter for CS's with vapes etc.
4) Batavia, Hill Street Blues, Hunters, Bulldog cafe - there are a couple of others - check the recent threads this gets answered a lot.
5) A lot of places will sell you a tenners worth, Tientje in Dutch I think (have I got that right Dutch speakers?) Some places will even do half grams. Just ask.
6) You can only find that out for yourself ;)
7) No.

have a great time!
djgtp

Post by djgtp »

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. So quickly as well. Probably seems like I'm a bit eager posting bout a Jan 17 trip already. Passing some info on to others coming between now and then. Must admit couldn't wait to get things off my chest and start posting!!

Appreciate the advice re Superskunk Cs. Will look into the others in more detail now. Not sure about taking the vape but like you say I'm sure I'll find them in a lot of places. Am lookin at places for smokin and drinkin specifically in the Leidseplein area so again will look at previous posts like you said.

Thanks again
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

Welcome to the forum.

What dates will you be in Amsterdam?
I'll post you on the Whos In Town page.
You can see who else may be in town and any Toke & Talks that are planned.

Enjoy
FlyByNite - Travel preference, not business practice
Coffeeshop Menus - Let your mouse do the walking
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Kashmir Lounge is somewhat close to leidseplein, but still a little walk, it is not a coffeeshop anymore but a smokers friendlyabar that indeed is term cool and layed back. It gets a little gloomy though..

Batavia isn't a CS either, but IMHO the best smokers friendly bar and cafe in the city,much more lively and not so dark and gloomy.

Hill street, which is close to Batavia is a good party or pre-party hangout, but ges a little pushy with the drinks and can get loud. Bar only also, closed as cs in the 1012 clean up project me thinks.

Easy Times sounds like a good pick for you, they have a good working volcano and is one of the top shops.
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
djgtp

Post by djgtp »

@FlyByNite - I arrive 03/01/17 (am) and leave 05/01/17 (early eve). Thanks for offering to do that for me

@CopenhagenCouple - Appreciate the further info on bars and easy times. After doing some further reading am thinking that sounds best nearby.

Currently looking through menus and finding most sell by the gram. Only seen voyagers so far that does a €10 option.

Thanks again to both of you for the help given
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Katsu do pre-weighted deals of €10. But those menus are guidelines, really, and the scales can be set for any amount. I don't know offhand any shop that wouldn't sell you a tientje (probably the Dutch word I use most often, which is exceptionally neither difficult to pronounce nor overly embarrassing) if you asked for one. Some shops like Boerejongens have a minimum of €10 per purchase, as they have (generally very nice) strains for under €10 a g.

For a place where you can smoke with a drinker, I'd recommend Hill Street Blues on Warmoesstraat, if only for the brilliant canal view; the drinking crowd seemed happy and civilised enough, though I've only been there in the daytime. There's a rather soulless pub that allows smoking across from Utopia, so you could possibly try it as a negotiation tool, spending some time there after a coffeeshop visit. There's always the hope, however fleeting, that the better atmosphere in the latter might tempt your wife to convert, at least temporarily.
Last edited by Fat_old_dwarf on Thu 22nd Sep 2016 02:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
matty223

Post by matty223 »

Also have a look at 1e hulp and parodox all within a 10 min walk from Leidseplein,
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

You have been posted on the January Whos In Town page. Scroll down to your month and click it.

You can see who else may be in town during your stay.

If you don't see yourself, click your refresh or reload button
Your browser sometimes loads pages from your local cache and
you don't get the latest update.

Watch for Toke & Talks, I post them up to the last minute.

Set yourself up with your own T&T or Toke and Talk, where you pick the coffeeshop
(your favorite) and the date and time, I will post it and you wait for folks to
show up, if they do you'll have a T&T. If they don't you still get to enjoy your
favorite coffeeshop!

By default I link your posting to your profile page here on ACD.

I can change it to a web link ( myspace, facebook, personal page )
or an email address if you want.

You can do a little practice shopping on the Coffeeshop Menus page.
Any with arrows are less than six months old.

Any nice new menu pictures you can get will be much appreciated.
Always ask first, better told no than thrown out.

Enjoy
FlyByNite - Travel preference, not business practice
Coffeeshop Menus - Let your Mouse do the walking
djgtp

Post by djgtp »

Really looking forward to my three days now. Its been a long wait! Been checking various sections of the forum over the past few months after the starting points you all gave me. All been really useful. :D

I've made my map with everything marked up and a very rough plan in my head. Basically different areas of the city over the three days. Leidseplein, centrum, rembrandtsplein and de pijp. Museum or two maybe.

For local CS options looking at going to Easytimes. I've picked out la tertulia and paradox because of the €5 deals and apparently being more suitable for us over 40s (45 on Tuesday!). As being the only smoker my best option to try more strains. Voyagers, utopia for when we go to centrum and then katsu, club media for de pijp visit. By the sounds all of these have vapes and or bongs to save my throat from the throw away pipe I'll be relying on! Again being only smoker doubt I'll need to buy a gram in each so it'll prob be a toss up between two in each area. Mainly looking at buying mid strength weed rather than hash but will prob pick up a little piece for the hotel room. Used to always steer towards sativa but found them a bit strong for first toke when in barca last yr (slight panic!). Maybe I'll try the indicas. Although they give a different effect maybe are a bit less thc content?? Think saw this on a menu with the content quoted.

For smoker friendly bars I've had loads of suggestions for centrum but am struggling closer to Leidseplein. I've got kashmir on list, not keen on bulldog. Sound garden (jordaan) has been mentioned and hunters near rembrandtsplein. Also saw mention of mellow yellow lounge but think this might be closed now.

Any other suggestions much appeciated. Thanks all :D :D
MinnBobber

Post by MinnBobber »

X2 for LaTertulia, Paradox, and 1E Hulp.

LaTertulia has a wonderful canalside location, an upper and lower area, an outside patio, decent food and drink, and the monster VerDampfer vape to try. Hopefully the vape is fixed as in May it was missing a part :(

Paradox has Volcanos and great fresh pressed fruit drinks.

1E Hulp ---I don't think they had a vape, I used my own. Upper and lower areas. As a senior, I asked which would be more chill and was told the upper. We were only customers in that area lol. Walked thru lower on way out and average age was like 25.

I liked the flowers from all 3 of these shops
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

For small quantities of your on tailoring, 1e Hulp can't be beat. They typically will let you get whatever quantity you want weight/€ from 5€ onwards.

Though I haven't been in a while tbh, and one caveat to be aware of, is that there's two budtenders in particular that are lot more patient with the locals/regulars, than tourists/newbs to say the least...
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Pertaining to smoker friendly bars, there's a Hunter's bar and coffeeshop adjacent combo situated just off of Rembrantplein. Which may have just enough ambience and convenient location to serve your needs.

Important to realize about Sound Garden, is that it's only smoker friendly on the back terrace area, you can't actually smoke inside - which could prove problematic in January.

Personally I think Batavia is your best bet on that front, but I could be biased as it's my favorite bar!
djgtp

Post by djgtp »

Thanks for the latest info guys.

Arrived about 11:30 and headed straight to easy times. Dissapointed to find minimum purchase is now 2g!!

Now in La Tertulia easing myself into things with some of their big budda cheese. Will prob now be using 1e hulp as our local. Hope its open late!
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

djgtp wrote:Thanks for the latest info guys.

Arrived about 11:30 and headed straight to easy times. Dissapointed to find minimum purchase is now 2g!!

Now in La Tertulia easing myself into things with some of their big budda cheese. Will prob now be using 1e hulp as our local. Hope its open late!
1e Hulp's opening hours span the full allotted 7 am - 1 am time window in which coffeeshops are legally allowed to be open.
Bummer, about Easy Times – that's some real dickheadery considering that althought they've got some nice product, it's all quite expensive!