Boat Trip Attempt 2017

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
Lemming
Site Admin

Boat Trip Attempt 2017

Post by Lemming »

Some of our successes:

2008 The Pioneers

Image Image
2011 The Armada

Image Image
2015 The Luxury Smokebox

and when failure looks like this, who cares!
2007 Mazdog's mega-joint

The (Chequered) History of Our 4-20 Boat Trips [updated repost from last year]

We've not always been entirely successful but even the failures have been fun.
There are lots more details, pictures and videos about these trips and substitute sessions in Travelogues and on YouTube. Here's a summary:

2007 fail :thumbdown:

AzLaker organised a boat through Rookies coffeeshop. I think this was the same boat that the Channelites had been out on a few years earlier.

Loads of us turned up at Rookies ready to go but the boat had broken down. Nevertheless we had an amazing session including a mega-joint that Mazdog had rolled for the trip.

2008 success :thumbup:

In 2008 we discovered the St. Nicolaas Boat Club. Unfortunately this no longer exists but it was a wonderful collective with a few boats, associated with Boom Chicago comedy club.

On a chilly evening we did a smoky tour on an open boat. There were only four of us, SilentlyScreaming, me and our respective partners, but I'm calling that a success.

2009 success :thumbup:

Having checked out the St. Nicolaas Boat Club we spread the news and had lots of people saying they'd like to go for a cruise around the canals.

On the night we were all gathered in the Nes but when we tried to round up all of the people who said they wanted to go most were too stoned to move. Nevertheless, about eight of us made it and had a brilliant trip. It was also a much warmer evening than 2008.

2011 success :thumbup:

3 little boats, 2 shifts, 1 dog. This time we started, rather appropriately, from Voyagers. Rather than a single boat, we had three small ones and so many people that we had to split the group into two so that the boats could go out twice.

2012 fail :thumbdown:

Following our success of 2011 a large group assembled in Voyagers ready for a repeat sailing but the boat had broken down. As a substitute we all piled onto the free ferry across the IJ to explore a couple of coffeeshops in Amsterdam Noord.

2013 fail :thumbdown:

Again we all gathered in Voyagers and again the boat didn't happen. We had a good party instead though.

2014 fail :thumbdown:

This time Elasticband tried to organise a boat for us. After several sunny days, on the day we planned to sail there was a rain shower and it was a bit overcast. We all congregated in Coffeeshop 137 but the weather scuppered our plans. We did, of course, have an excellent session instead.

2015 success :thumbup:

We broke our run of failures in style.

Less than a week before the 20th I heard about Ganja Cruises, a guy with a smart covered saloon boat. Somehow we managed to get ourselves organised in a few days and had a successful expedition.

2016 success :thumbup:

We did an equally wonderful repeat performance with Ganja Cruises.

Sadly the boat we went out on for the past couple of years is out of action at the moment.

Choices:

> Ganja Cruise's backup boat - an open boat, with a pop up roof if necessary, and very comfortable for 8 people.
> Smoke Boat- boat with largish cabin. Looks a bit bigger than the original Ganja Cruise boat but also more expensive and shorter trip. Macky has been doing some research on this option (thanks mate!) so we know a little more.
> Those Dam Boat Guys - looks like a smaller open boat, a bit like the old St Nic operation.

So, the first thing we need to establish is how many people are interested. If we're hoping to spread the cost between 20 people then it would be good to have a list of about 40 here. This is based on my 50% principle. In 2009 we had a list of at least 20 and 8 turned up, including 2 friends of mine who weren't even on the list! Last year we had a list of 20 and 10 showed up.

Please post here if you'd like to join us on this year's boat trip.

KeyMonCha

Re: Boat Trip Attempt 2017

Post by KeyMonCha »

Aye-Aye Cap'n Lem.... Permission to come aboard! :D

.... :oops:

...I'll get my coat.
macky

Post by macky »

I have like 12 already confirmed to me personally Lem .The durations one and a half hours for 1750 euros each at twenty people .
Ganga was 20 each for two hours so don,t think it to much? I know the risk ,worst I need to throw in hundred euros big whoop :mrgreen:
macky

Post by macky »

Macky Jackie Joe
Maxx and plus1
Nugs
Papi
Danny
Matty
Tinky
CCthats two
its a start
matty223

Post by matty223 »

Other will join in on the fun
macky

Post by macky »

Don,t sound like Lems to high on boat trip around 420 ,would prefer later thats 8)
As far as getting enough people I,ll go with Lems experience there he,s probably talking since.
So I will back off and see what happens 8)
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Good stuff Macky! 12 is a great start.

Regarding costs, I think it was 200 for 2 hours with Ganja Cruise and 350 for 1.5 hours with Smokeboat. It all depends on numbers really. If 20 people actually turn up then Smokeboat looks good. That's a lot of people though. It would take some heroic cat herding to get that many together.

I'm sure we all appreciate your generous offer to cover the shortfall but I think that's too much to ask of you really.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any forum members have even seen this boat yet. I certainly don't think we should send any money up front to a website. I didn't give GC anything until we were sailing down the canal with no obvious leaks :D . Before our first Ganja trip I'd never met the guy and only seen a photo of his boat. As it turned out, he was brilliant and had a great boat. Smokeboat might be even better but it's worth being cautious I would have thought.

Anyway, get posting folks. Let's see how many we've got...
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

macky wrote: Thu 16th Mar 2017 08:06 pm Don,t sound like Lems to high on boat trip around 420
Sorry, didn't realise you were actually proposing that. Didn't intend to rule it out. Hadn't even thought about doing 4:20 on a boat. It's a thought ...
macky

Post by macky »

I seen them on trip advisor reviews and would send Nugs over before paying deposit.
But hey what ever 8)
macky

Post by macky »

PM Nug,s getting him to bike over see if Smokeboat is real,start there see who else signs up 8)
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Sounds great. Sorry if I was sounding negative. Probably just paranoid :oops:

Anyway, I count 15 already so that's a brilliant start. If we can double that then there might be a chance of herding 20 together on the day :D . C'mon people ...

CopenhagenCouple =2
Danny211204
DeLekkersteNUGS16
KeyMonCha
Lemming
Macky, Jackie & Joe
Madmaxxx +1
Matty223
Papi
Pierre von Mondragon
Tinky
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Smokeboat's website says they charge €15 per person for their regular 1 hour cruises and they need a minimum of 4 people to run. That means they can afford to run a 1 hour trip for €60 if they have to.

I think we should offer them €20 per person for this 1.5 hour cruise regardless of numbers.

We've got 15 on the boat list at the moment so, following my 50% rule, that means we should be able to guarantee about 7 or 8 already. Suppose that list grows to 20 then we should be able to guarantee at least 10. If their usual minimum is 4 at €15 per person then how can they refuse €20 per person for a minimum of 10? They'll get at least €200 and up to €640 in the unlikely event that we fill the boat.

They've already got several links to their website on here, which will be boosting their ranking on Google. If this goes well they'll get lots of good publicity.

If they accept this bargain then there's no risk of anyone having to pay more than €20 and no risk of Macky having to make up a shortfall.

What do you think?
macky

Post by macky »

Confirmed Drugs Bunny on board ,Where are you Smirks? Mike and Mike get on the boat :D
macky

Post by macky »

Lemming wrote: Fri 17th Mar 2017 01:35 pm Smokeboat's website says they charge €15 per person for their regular 1 hour cruises and they need a minimum of 4 people to run. That means they can afford to run a 1 hour trip for €60 if they have to.

I think we should offer them €20 per person for this 1.5 hour cruise regardless of numbers.

We've got 15 on the boat list at the moment so, following my 50% rule, that means we should be able to guarantee about 7 or 8 already. Suppose that list grows to 20 then we should be able to guarantee at least 10. If their usual minimum is 4 at €15 per person then how can they refuse €20 per person for a minimum of 10? They'll get at least €200 and up to €640 in the unlikely event that we fill the boat.

They've already got several links to their website on here, which will be boosting their ranking on Google. If this goes well they'll get lots of good publicity.

If they accept this bargain then there's no risk of anyone having to pay more than €20 and no risk of Macky having to make up a shortfall.

What do you think?
They run restricted times in early season ,special 420 tour or would not be running that day .but Nugs is checking
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Great that Nugs is on the job, fingers crossed that it all pans out...

We en agree with lemming that we could at least try a little bargaining with the guys and see if they are willing to budge a bit. On the other hand, our sole contribution to making this happen so far are a few minor posts on here, so dafuq do we know, carry on and do what you think is best, we will trynour best to be very herd-able...
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol: