October Honeymoon

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
GenerationOverdone

October Honeymoon

Post by GenerationOverdone »

Haven't been to Amsterdam since 2009! Decided the honeymoon is the best excuse I'll have for a while. I'm hoping to get some helpful input on the best places to take a non-smoker... We will be there the second week of October. How's the weather that time of year? Seems it will be in the 50-60's F. Plan to pack some water resistant hoodies, light rain coat, and long sleeve shirts for layering. Also, we are staying on the edge of De Wallen on Prins Hendrikkade.

We are mainly going to enjoy the city, lots of eating, beer, and cannabis. All while getting lost among the canals. This will be the first trip for my fiance, so I am looking forward to showing her around. We will certainly partake in a few museums that I missed the last visit. Does the boat club with the private boat tour still exist? St.Christophers or something like that?. We are there for 4.5 days. Ample time to enjoy one city, but almost too much, so I think we will have a day trip to see somewhere new. Considering Haarlem, Rotterdam, and or Den Haag just to do a little exploring and keep things fresh. The Jopenkerk in Haarlem looks like a nice place to relax and have a pint.

Any recommendations on the best ventilated coffeeshops?

Best smoker friendly bars (with good beer)?
Do these still fit the bill?

- Hill Street Blues
- Coffee Shop Amsterdam Cafe
- The Plug Coffeeshop Cafe
- Cafe Batavia
- The Black Dog

I see some coffee shops offer Organic flower. Always prefer to smoke organic when possible/ when it's good smoke. Any suggestions for good organic flower offerings?

We like to eat good, quality, food. However we are not for fine dining. We will likely have one evening of high-end dining due to the occasion, but most of the time we prefer food that is worth the money. Food that is made with quality ingredients as close to from scratch as possible. Along the lines of the "craft" kitchen approach I suppose. Last time in the DAM I was on a meager budget, but everything I had from pizza to burger was tasty, high quality, and reasonably priced. It didn't seem like every cafe and restaurant was serving the same cisco offerings cooked different ways. Which tends to be the case in the states. Where should we eat? We like many different types of cuisine and love to try new offerings, like Indonesian.

Also really enjoy a laid back cafe with good espresso and croissant sammys for waking up in the AM. Last time I was visiting we stayed way out of the center at hotel slotania, but across the road from the hotel there was a cafe on a dock and I had the simplest sandwhich on a baquette with ham and cheese but the ingredients were so fresh and tasty it was all I could have wanted at that moment. Would love suggestions on a place to get a good latte in the morning.

The current list of places to check out consist of:

-Brouwerij’t IJ
-Blue 360 Sky bar
-Long Pura Indonesian
-NDSM
-De Prael
-rooftop bar HOPP
- The pancake bakery ( Where should we try our first Dutch Pancake? )

Anyway I am open to any and all suggestions. Even though I know we will likely end up wandering around and following our noses!
Last edited by GenerationOverdone on Wed 25th Sep 2019 06:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoMoney

Re: October Honeymoon

Post by RoMoney »

A return after 10 years, fantastic! Seems you've a solid list of good places to check out already :)

Given it's your honeymoon somewhere like Zaans Schans might be a bit more romantic for a day trip than a big city, although Haarlem is quite picturesque too.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
matty223

Post by matty223 »

Try Cafe de klos
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

I do not think you can buy alchol and weed in the same place.

But can smoke and drink alcohol at:
Black Dog
Sound Garden
Batavia

For food check out
Senses https://www.sensesrestaurant.nl/en/index.html
De Kas https://restaurantdekas.com

enjoy!!
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

If you have firm dates and post them, I will post you on the October Whos In Town page. There are several others in town for that time frame so a Toke & Talk ( T&T ) may happen.

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/0-WhosIn ... ctober.htm

Enjoy
FlyByNite
GenerationOverdone

Post by GenerationOverdone »

RoMoney wrote: Sun 1st Sep 2019 08:55 am A return after 10 years, fantastic! Seems you've a solid list of good places to check out already :)

Given it's your honeymoon somewhere like Zaans Schans might be a bit more romantic for a day trip than a big city, although Haarlem is quite picturesque too.
Ten long years! I've been dreaming of returning ever since. It will be a very different, more mature, but equally stoney adventure.
Zan Schans looks beautiful, but also a little bit dull. I would love to photograph the area, but I think this trip Brouwerij’t IJ will provide all the windmill vibes needed. We may venture out to another city, but being acquainted with the city (even just the once so long ago) I feel I'm ready to learn the distinct neighborhoods this go round.

Now I need to strategically plan coffeeshop access near tourist attractions (since partner does not toke). It looks like the best options near the hotel are Solo, Bluebird, Voyagers (mixed these days?), and central which provided great White Widow last trip. I know WW is dated these days but having been on the West Coast of the US I've been drowning in OG & Cookies the last ten years and as much as I love both I really want some good old school WW, SSH, and Skunk! I Would love any ideas on where to find some good specimens of the aforementioned as well as other old school dutch genetics...bonus points for organic!

I've seen many good post from you around the forum. Thank you for all the great info! Are you local or you just travel to the dam often?

matty223 wrote: Sun 1st Sep 2019 02:46 pm Try Cafe de klos
It's on the backup list! I've seen the ribs recommended here as well as several other places.

worldcitizen1723 wrote: Mon 2nd Sep 2019 11:19 pm I do not think you can buy alchol and weed in the same place.

But can smoke and drink alcohol at:
Black Dog
Sound Garden
Batavia

For food check out
Senses https://www.sensesrestaurant.nl/en/index.html
De Kas https://restaurantdekas.com

enjoy!!
Precisely what I am looking for, thanks! I want to enjoy my wares from around the city while having a pint and food is always a plus.

FlyByNite wrote: Tue 3rd Sep 2019 12:21 am If you have firm dates and post them, I will post you on the October Whos In Town page. There are several others in town for that time frame so a Toke & Talk ( T&T ) may happen.

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/0-WhosIn ... ctober.htm

Enjoy
FlyByNite
10/14 - 10/17

I would be down for a TnT or perhaps a boat ride with a group!
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

Posted on the October Whos In Town page.

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/0-WhosIn ... ber.htm#14

Enjoy
FlyByNite