Rotterdam comfy coffeeshop?

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
LukeT

Rotterdam comfy coffeeshop?

Post by LukeT »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice please.

For the past couple of years my mum and I have taken a Christmas trip to Amsterdam. Great fun. This year we're heading to Rotterdam to mix things up a bit.

This thing is, my mum is in her 70s and has a problem with her knees which means she can't sit on stools - she needs a chair or ideally a sofa. As a result our favourite coffeeshops in Amsterdam have been Kashmir Lounge and Softland - lots of sofas!

I know that Rotterdam has fewer sit-in coffeeshops than Amsterdam (more dispensaries) so I wondered if anyone could recommend one where we would have a good chance of getting a chair / sofa rather than a stool or standing?

Thanks!

Luke

kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Last edited by kingbee on Fri 3rd Jan 2020 08:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FODSmith

Re: Rotterdam comfy coffeeshop?

Post by FODSmith »

I went to Rotterdam a while back, and there was a definite shortage of comfy places. Out of Time sticks in the memory as a place to have a smoke, but I can't be sure what the seating was like; I think it was chairs at tables, so if your mum can manage a standard café/restaurant setup, she should be all right. Trefpunt was another place I had a smoke at, and there may even have been sofas or comfy chairs, but I wouldn't want to testify to them in a court of law.
kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Last edited by kingbee on Fri 3rd Jan 2020 08:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FODSmith

Post by FODSmith »

Everything in Rotterdam is for the locals, really. I've never seen any city that makes so little attempt to attract any kind of visitor, even the more respectable sort. I had a pleasant first smoke in Out of Time; the choice isn't brilliant, but not terrible either. And it has a homey sort of vibe that I thought might appeal to older visitors. Trefpunt seemed more like a youth club when I was there, what with the free computers and activities. The atmosphere certainly wasn't unfriendly, though some people seem to expect American-style have-a-nice-day service everywhere.
kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Hello Luke, go and enjoy Rotterdam with your mom. You guys just might be the client that the coffeeshops want, besides Rotterdam has some great post WW2 architecture and some cool street art and a walk of fame. Even though it’s been years my wife and I were always treated with respect.
Have fun with whatever you do
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Willjay

Post by Willjay »

kingbee wrote: Thu 21st Nov 2019 04:34 pm
Willjay wrote: Thu 21st Nov 2019 02:14 am Hello Luke, go and enjoy Rotterdam with your mom. You guys just might be the client that the coffeeshops want, besides Rotterdam has some great post WW2 architecture and some cool street art and a walk of fame. Even though it’s been years my wife and I were always treated with respect.
Have fun with whatever you do
Hold up dude, lol - Luke's main purpose of posting here was to ask about "comfy coffeeshops", as his mum is elderly and requires comfortable seating ;)
I’m elderly as well :lol: and seating is important :wink: but having fun and exploring a city are still fun and doable :mrgreen:
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Willjay

Post by Willjay »

I hope Luke and his mom post a trip report, :D
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org