Who's going to virtual 420?

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
Comus

Re: Who's going to virtual 420?

Post by Comus »

basically it can leave you open to things like 'man in the middle' attacks and various other implanted malware that can compromise your personal data ... you know, like when you enter passwords for sites that you purchase things from or your banking aps etc ... don't forget, you're giving permissions for third parties to control your microphone and webcam etc when you use their services and if their security is shite then others can exploit that.... plus they will probably sell your data and browsing habbitsto other companies, governmenets etc to make a profit.

I'm in shocks and stares
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

I use Zoom every day at my business with very sensitive data discussed and illustrated. The key is that you can password protect the meeting, which then locks down access. The problem with hosting a large event is that once one person has the password, then they can forward to God-knows-who. Also, if you have an account, and if you want your actual name to remain incognito, then you are out of luck.

Maybe the 40 min. free version would be the way to go? But I've found it very safe as long as the host creates a password.

But think through it. Do you want your face/name splattered on the internet for approx. 40 min. for some random stoner to put name/face together? Eh . . . :-|
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

A password is well and good to the average person, a decent hacker tho will be through in seconds...

Not that I have anything particularly sensitive on my laptop, it’s mainly pictures of weed and pirate movies but still
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Do we have a viable Zoom alternative? If not, should we just proceed with Zoom, there will always be people worried about data etc. no matter what app we use, cos every app is there to steal your data really.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Boat Drinks

Post by Boat Drinks »

RoMoney wrote: Fri 10th Apr 2020 09:55 am Do we have a viable Zoom alternative? If not, should we just proceed with Zoom, there will always be people worried about data etc. no matter what app we use, cos every app is there to steal your data really.
This is different than simple data mining, they can infiltrate computer and do real damage.
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Yeah, no I’m out
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
hulldj

Post by hulldj »

LLMReb wrote: Thu 9th Apr 2020 10:40 pm
But think through it. Do you want your face/name splattered on the internet for approx. 40 min. for some random stoner to put name/face together? Eh . . . :-|
I'll just leave this here :mrgreen:

10minutemail, VPN and a virtual box/sandbox. Not necessarily in that order ;)

Stay Safe folks.
Live.. Love... Laugh and dance more. Stay safe ACD
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

hulldj wrote: Sun 12th Apr 2020 10:12 am
LLMReb wrote: Thu 9th Apr 2020 10:40 pm
I'll just leave this here :mrgreen:

10minutemail, VPN and a virtual box/sandbox. Not necessarily in that order ;)

Stay Safe folks.
Ha, ha. The condoms of the internet!
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

What's the consensus then?
Who wants to try this?
Zoom or has anyone got an alternative?
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

zoom is good as long as proper security setup. use both free and subscription regualrily for personal and some online courses i take. hope to share a puff on 4/20. be safe everyone :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Amsterdam dreaming.............
TransApenninesCouple

Post by TransApenninesCouple »

Lemming wrote: Wed 15th Apr 2020 01:06 pm What's the consensus then?
Who wants to try this?
Zoom or has anyone got an alternative?

Monday afternoon we are there, how? :D
Fate vobis :mrgreen:
macky

Post by macky »

Who every sets it up will see all addresses of users as they click out ...only Lem has this information now ,so makes sense Lem needs to set meeting and get pass word . The hacking is mostly kids getting password from open info and bombing meetings with trolling .
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Who's up for this then? Seems like enthusiasm has waned. If people want to go for it then I'll try to set something up.

Personally, I'm not particularly paranoid about these things, I wouldn't be running this website and forum is plain sight otherwise! I'd happily just set up a meeting, post the meeting ID here and see who turned up. (Incidentally, you can change your screen name on Zoom so can use your forum membership name).

I appreciate that you're not all as reckless as me! So, maybe a better plan is if everyone interested sends me an email (lemming@coffeeshop.freeuk.com) maybe use a subject of 'Virtual 420' or something so I spot it and I'll reply with the meeting ID.

Let me know if you're interested and spread the word.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I've set up and tested a Zoom meeting. It's encrypted, passworded and has a 'waiting room'. It seems to work so ready for trial if you want to give it a go.

You just need to download the Zoom app and use the meeting link that I'll email to you on request.

If I remember, I'll turn it on at 18:00 (6pm) UK time today and tomorrow. I believe that's 19:00 (7pm) in Amsterdam, 13:00 (1pm) in New York and 10:00 (10am) in LA. I can do later times too if anyone wants.

See you there!
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Wow! First attempt seemed to work well. Macky, Smirks, Gapie, AzLaker, TransApenninesCouple and me made it into our virtual coffeeshop. Willjay and Lafe got in touch just after we finished.

I'm just about to get some dinner but I'll open up the virtual coffeeshop again at 22:00 UK time (about 2.5 hours from now) if Willjay, Lafe and anyone else would like to check it out.

We'll also open again at 18:00 tomorrow and for 4:20 on Monday.

I guess 4:20 should be Amsterdam time, although that might be a bit early for those in western USA. Today Zoom didn't impose any 40 minute time limit but I don't know whether that always applies. If there is no time limit then maybe we can keep the coffeeshop open for a while. Maybe a virtual boat trip if we're stoned enough.

If you've got the sign in details they should work for every opening. If you need the details, just email me (lemming@coffeeshop.freeuk.com).

Oh, also, it's worth renaming yourself on Zoom to your forum name.

See you in the virtual coffeeshop at ACD Towers!