I miss Amsterdam so much! Wish covid would fcuk off already

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
dpgsoulja89

I miss Amsterdam so much! Wish covid would fcuk off already

Post by dpgsoulja89 »

First off haven't logged in here in years can't believe the forum is still going great to see! I'll be honest the last few months iv been missing Amsterdam immensely. The world has changed and not for the better.. I sent some posts " I'll book a trip next summer" Iv a bad feeling this could last year's if not decades..even when everything returns to "normal" people will still have to wear masks and sanitizer everywhere.I'm in the high risk category i haven't even left my town since all this happened never mind flying to Holland.. Miss it so much the smell of coffeeshops and bakery's everywhere bicycles the canals I always used to over around this time of year its so toasty and cozy.I remember the first coffeeshop I laid my eyes on..homegrown fantasy found it by accident it was during the 2010 blizzard couldn't see a thing was completely lost in and stumbled upon it couldn't wrap my head around being able to legally buy weed in a shop and sit down with a coffee and smoke in the shop without fear..another great memory was trying alladins chocolate from Popeye's from the first time going back to my hotel and the two towers comes on felt like my bed was floating on water strongest hash iv ever smoked a few other red light memory's I have but that's for me to know :wink: hope everything gets back to normal soon I'll be on the next flight out..

next trip...1st December!
AzLaker

Re: I miss Amsterdam so much! Wish covid would fcuk off already

Post by AzLaker »

I agree whole heartily :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Lol, we all wish COVID would fuck off!! I'm lucky in a way as with my move to Spain last year I haven't really financially been in a position to travel, but hopefully be able to go next summer if COVID fucks off :mrgreen: Not been in NL since October 2019 :o
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
dpgsoulja89

Post by dpgsoulja89 »

I know and I was going to loads of trial runs and interviews right before the covid bomb went off now not a stitch of a job going..I was looking at the webcams and pictures of Dam lately.. Its like a ghost town :( This time of year the streets are packed everyone Christmas shopping care free and I recently just got back into fishing all the times I was over there and I could have fished the canals and lakes at least I went skateboarding last time. I wish I could go with doc brown and have a smoke in any day again or homegrown fantasy
Babbalonian

Post by Babbalonian »

Damn Sir! I remember Homegrown Fantasy from my first trip to Dam in '14.. Like you I passed it whilst looking for Utopia!

That funky toilet!

Good times... Like you I've only recently logged back into the forum and am glad it's still alive and kicking.

I was thinking of a trip back to Dam next summer but am in zero rush to take this 'vaccine'.
"I am Queen's Boulevard."
Tokeing tom

Post by Tokeing tom »

The funky toilet... I remember first time I experienced it, the missus and myself had stumbled across homegrown and decided to go in out of the rain we got a bag of power plant and it fucked us up completely we were mostly soapbar smokers at the time (1999) and this blew our heads off fell up the street laughing, good times... Do u remember there cheese..
Babbalonian

Post by Babbalonian »

Ahhh... their cheese :D

It was what made me put Homegrown on my list to visit as it was highly recommended (no pun intended)!

I remember sitting by the window not able to move for about 2 hours. Not that I'd have particularly wanted to :lol:
"I am Queen's Boulevard."
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

I hear ya!

It's been just over a year since my last trip over and I can't believe how much has changed, from reading the forums..

The "new" 420 changing hands... I used to love sitting in the window there, watching the world go by, looking at the canals etc...

Voyagers going to the dogs... I used to stay there almost every visit if I could get a room booked! Chatting with my friends in there, grabbing a bag of Lemon Bubble before heading around the corner to Batavia for a nice bite to eat and a schmoke downstairs..

There's going to be restrictions in place for a good while yet, sadly and I just don't know when I'll be able to make my next visit. I'd like to think it will be sometime in 2021, but who knows?

I miss my old haunts - De Kuil/420 was traditionally my first stop every trip for close to 20 years straight - I know the weed wasn't necessarily the strongest in Dam, but I loved the vibe in there. Great music, cool budtenders and pleasant bar staff... Amnesia was almost my second home when I was there - I got to know the staff very well there and was always treated wonderfully, whether I was on my own or with a group of friends...

And the food! OMG.
Once I learned to avoid the toxic slices of pizza in the windows everywhere and discovered the wonders of places like Cafe Loetje and De Klos, for example, I was in heaven!
Frites like I've never had in my life, a mere stagger away from De Dampkring, amazing warm bacon and brie baguettes from those little out-of-the-way gems of hidden sandwich places... I'd better stop now - it's making me hungry!

Fingers crossed folks. Once this madness is over, hopefully there'll be light at the end of those tunnels again and I can return to my favourite place in the world..

Keep safe everyone!
8)
dpgsoulja89

Post by dpgsoulja89 »

All brilliant stories! I remember in 2010 I was stranded because of the snow my money had just ran out and my family sent me over some I was just hanging around haarlemmerstraat until it went in haha when it did i went to the first coffeeshop i could see which happened to be dampkring btw the whole city was just white it was like walking around hoth from star wars lol i got a bag of super skunk probably my first time smoking real skunk the stuff i bought off an english guy over here ´skunk init´ haha was definitely not good stuff.I think after xmas or before summer would be a good time to chance going over but idk its going through schipol and sitting on that nasty train that im worried about id say it a hotzone
Comus

Post by Comus »

Man! Doing the special "tryin' not to slip over" walk around the dam in the snow gives you the stiff burning legs agony .... there's one cure only :mrgreen:
I'm in shocks and stares
petercrox

Post by petercrox »

Fantastic memories of Amsterdam and although I’ve been coming for many years, my last 2019 visit was as good if not better than ever.

When you’re deprived of something, it is an opportunity to realise how much you treasure something.

There are many of us patiently waiting for the earliest opportunity to return.

Let’s hope we don’t have to wait too long....
brufy

Post by brufy »

dpgsoulja89 wrote: Fri 4th Dec 2020 02:43 am ...The world has changed and not for the better...
I cancelled a trip booked for January. Am now looking at January 2022, having emailed my favoured hotel directly, who have offered me accommodation even though it is not yet possible to book it online.

Given the current situation; COVID on the rise on mainland Europe with a chaotic policy on vaccines, that foreign travel is still illegal from the UK and who knows, we may not even be welcome in coffeeshops in 2022, I am extremely hesitant to book, even for that far ahead. And that’ll be two years since the start of the pandemic.

Yes, a pretty sorry state of affairs. Hope it’s not the end of the party, but if it is, it was a blast.
Over four years on ACD and none the wiser…
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

We have some people with the glass half empty, some with it half full, but Brufy is looking at a smashed glass on the ground :mrgreen:

We need to DHL you some hope and optimism :lol: :D
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

When we wake up from this, all I wish for is 't Nes fully restored with DC carving the hash, and a cool Gulpener to wash it down.
"Laif" with a long "a".
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

Lafe wrote: Mon 5th Apr 2021 09:14 pm When we wake up from this, all I wish for is 't Nes fully restored with DC carving the hash, and a cool Gulpener to wash it down.
And a 6 foot Volcano Bag. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.