Hotel Voyagers

Accommodation related topics.
DaveS

Re: Hotel Voyagers

Post by DaveS »

The only thing that kept me coming back here was the service from the top people running the shop downstairs! Now they've gone, this place has lost its charm completely...
It's a great location, sure... but over the last few years I've found cheaper accommodation a little further out of town, with much better facilities and no stairs to climb!

Honestly, with the purchase of a tram card added in, I was saving a lot more money overall, with a fridge and a safe in my room and a bar downstairs with a smoking area outside to boot! The ONLY disadvantage was the tram ride to get there, but to be fair, I find it a lot easier to get around using the trams anyway. You get to visit those little out-of-the-way coffeeshops too! You know, with the better quality and cheaper prices?

Sadly, Voyagers has taken a nosedive IMHO...
And the hit and miss booking system... waiting months for a block of dates to be released, only to find you've missed out on the room you wanted! Seriously - I used to stay here all the time, but times have changed and so has this place.. one thing I don't miss is the noise outside the hotel almost every night.

Have look around- I use the Best Western (formerly West Side Inn) these days. 20 minutes tram ride from Centraal Station, better equipped rooms, lifts (!), luggage storage before and after check-in and cheaper too!

dubsy420

Post by dubsy420 »

DaveS wrote: Sat 19th Dec 2020 12:31 pm The only thing that kept me coming back here was the service from the top people running the shop downstairs! Now they've gone, this place has lost its charm completely...
It's a great location, sure... but over the last few years I've found cheaper accommodation a little further out of town, with much better facilities and no stairs to climb!

Honestly, with the purchase of a tram card added in, I was saving a lot more money overall, with a fridge and a safe in my room and a bar downstairs with a smoking area outside to boot! The ONLY disadvantage was the tram ride to get there, but to be fair, I find it a lot easier to get around using the trams anyway. You get to visit those little out-of-the-way coffeeshops too! You know, with the better quality and cheaper prices?

Sadly, Voyagers has taken a nosedive IMHO...
And the hit and miss booking system... waiting months for a block of dates to be released, only to find you've missed out on the room you wanted! Seriously - I used to stay here all the time, but times have changed and so has this place.. one thing I don't miss is the noise outside the hotel almost every night.

Have look around- I use the Best Western (formerly West Side Inn) these days. 20 minutes tram ride from Centraal Station, better equipped rooms, lifts (!), luggage storage before and after check-in and cheaper too!
It does sound good, but I'm not really interested in staying outside of the center - I'm much more happier in the city with everything around, etc - plus I always rent a bicycle to get about.

From the sounds of it Voyagers is off the menu now, I'll have to get scouting around to find somewhere for July.
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Fair enough, dubsy!

I was exactly the same.. I liked being close to the Station, RLD, all my favourite haunts in town etc... plus knowing I didn't have far to go at the end of the night...

I must be just getting old(er)!

I used to get straight off the train and head straight for a coffeeshop, but nowadays it's a pain carrying my rucksack around until I can check in to whichever hotel I had booked...
In the early days, I used the Vijaya on Oudezijds Voorburgwal - cheap and cheerful, but clean and the rooms I got had ensuite bathrooms too.. might be worth checking them out? When I "discovered" Voyagers (just after HB started running things), I switched to them - I LOVED the ensuite room in the basement! But then they remodelled, and I could only get the rooms upstairs...
If I couldn't get a room there, it became pot luck to see what else was available..

Now, I'm a bit more sedate(d)! I quite like getting on the tram to my new preferred hotel, dropping off my bag, then heading back into town unencumbered by luggage! My knees are pretty much shot these days as well, so the concept of using a lift gets better each visit!

Good luck with things - give the Hotel Vijaya a try if you like a central location.. I used them consistently for about 10 years with no complaints (got lost in the maze of corridors and stairs a couple of times tho!) Think that was more down to the weed tho! :D
Comus

Post by Comus »

dubsy420 wrote: Sat 19th Dec 2020 08:15 pm It does sound good, but I'm not really interested in staying outside of the center - I'm much more happier in the city with everything around, etc - plus I always rent a bicycle to get about.

From the sounds of it Voyagers is off the menu now, I'll have to get scouting around to find somewhere for July.
i stayed at hotel leidsegracht just off leidseplein last time i went. a single on-suite with a window veiw onto a garden/yard. it was spotless and had a free hot drinks vending machine in the hallway outside, free wi-fi. the price was good too. maybe it's too far out for your liking though.
I'm in shocks and stares
dubsy420

Post by dubsy420 »

Comus wrote: Mon 21st Dec 2020 03:50 pm
dubsy420 wrote: Sat 19th Dec 2020 08:15 pm It does sound good, but I'm not really interested in staying outside of the center - I'm much more happier in the city with everything around, etc - plus I always rent a bicycle to get about.

i stayed at hotel leidsegracht just off leidseplein last time i went. a single on-suite with a window veiw onto a garden/yard. it was spotless and had a free hot drinks vending machine in the hallway outside, free wi-fi. the price was good too. maybe it's too far out for your liking though.
Yeah, maybe a bit too far, it looks good having checked it out. I think I'll put it in the maybe pile and see if I can find anything more central, good shout, though - cheers, :!:
matty223

Post by matty223 »

Leidseplein too far out ?????
Got a good laugh on that one

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

To be fair, I used to think anything past Amnesia was "too far out"!!!

But that was before I discovered the wonders of the tram system! I wouldn't trust myself on a bicycle in Amsterdam... I've seen how mental they can be, plus I wouldn't be in a fit state to ride after a good day on the herbs!

Then there's the issues of having to remember to lock it, remember WHERE I locked it, etc etc..

I remember trekking out to Katsu with a group from one of the 420 gatherings way back when, and although it was cool to stroll down the Albert Cuyp Market, picking up poffertjes and fresh strawberries, then grabbing a table in Katsu and hitting the Black Widow, but my poor feet were hurting by the time I got back.

For me, the trams have opened up a whole new side to Amsterdam. It's dead easy to use the system- the only thing you have to remember is to check in and out when getting on and off, and if you overshoot your stop, get off at the next one and head back!

But the biggest thing I've found is how much cheaper and better the hotels are once you get outside the centrum! I save more than enough money on the hotels to pay for the tram pass for the whole stay AND have a chunk left over for more weed!

But hey, it's your choice and if that's how you like to roll, then fair play to ya!
8)
dubsy420

Post by dubsy420 »

I've been 19 times and counting, I've done pretty much every variation of Dam I can and I've settled firmly on - I like to stay in the centre and have the option of venturing out as and when I want, I do rent a bike and once you get used to it - it's an amazing way to get around Dam. The first time was a nightmare but once you get used to it I much prefer to use a bike getting around, it saves soo much time, especially as I usually go in the summer and like to visit Vondel.
Dontog2

Post by Dontog2 »

DaveS wrote: Mon 28th Dec 2020 02:59 pm To be fair, I used to think anything past Amnesia was "too far out"!!!

But that was before I discovered the wonders of the tram system! I wouldn't trust myself on a bicycle in Amsterdam... I've seen how mental they can be, plus I wouldn't be in a fit state to ride after a good day on the herbs!

Then there's the issues of having to remember to lock it, remember WHERE I locked it, etc etc..

I remember trekking out to Katsu with a group from one of the 420 gatherings way back when, and although it was cool to stroll down the Albert Cuyp Market, picking up poffertjes and fresh strawberries, then grabbing a table in Katsu and hitting the Black Widow, but my poor feet were hurting by the time I got back.

For me, the trams have opened up a whole new side to Amsterdam. It's dead easy to use the system- the only thing you have to remember is to check in and out when getting on and off, and if you overshoot your stop, get off at the next one and head back!

But the biggest thing I've found is how much cheaper and better the hotels are once you get outside the centrum! I save more than enough money on the hotels to pay for the tram pass for the whole stay AND have a chunk left over for more weed!

But hey, it's your choice and if that's how you like to roll, then fair play to ya!
8)
It sounds like the tram system here in Ireland, you just tag at the actual stop when you get on and off? Do they have machines to buy the ticket from to. Also what about on the tram, here in Ireland it announced the next stop in Irish and English, is it the same there but Dutch and English?

Also you mentioned that the best Western had a smoking room, is that just tobacco or weed also?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

No worries!

The tram system is quite simple, if you already have a tram pass, when you board the tram you "check in" by holding the pass up to the sensors either side of the doors and it will beep to let you know it's worked. On leaving the tram, you simply "check out" by doing the same thing. But make sure you check out, or when you get on the next one, it won't let you check back in, as it thinks you're still on another tram! It's a lot easier than the old "Strippenkaart" (spelling?) system, where you needed to calculate how many zones you were travelling through yourself!

The tram passes can be bought from a number of travel offices across the city and from the conductor or driver on the trams (but only a small selection of the different types - like 24 or 48 hrs... the longer passes, I think, can only be bought at the travel offices IIRC)
There's one at Schiphol I use when I get off the plane, or right outside Centraal Station there's a big white GVB office. If you're a regular visitor, you can get a permanent card that you can top up, or just buy the temporary cardboard pass. I think the permanent cards can be topped up with machines as well, or possibly online, but it's been a while so check on the GVB website to be sure! I just look at how many days I'm there, then buy the right one... 24, 48, 72 hrs etc upto several days. That way, I'm not hunting for change each day...

The tram stops are announced in Dutch, but are also on several info screens on the trams. It's not that hard! And if you miss your stop? Adventure time!
For me, it saves my poor, worn out knees and is much better in poor weather!

The hotel has a smoking "area" which was outside the main entrance, rather than a room indoors, but it's covered and had heaters as well.. obviously outside you can smoke pure or mixed..

I never used the trams for years, but now it's the only way to go (for me!)... same thing with the hotel - for years I'd stay in the centre of town purely for the convenience, but I just can't do the stairs anymore! I must be getting old! But the money I save from staying just 20 mins outside the main area pays me back in more than one way. I have money for the tram pass AND more weed! Plus a good night's sleep in a big ensuite room with a decent shower, safe, fridge etc... I wish I'd done it sooner!

All the best!
Dontog2

Post by Dontog2 »

Yeah I'm starting to appreciate the comforts of a nice room. Thanks a lot for this info. Will use the best Western when I can finally go again
RedGecko58

Post by RedGecko58 »

Any update on renovations?

Loooking to take a good of guys for their first time and the rooms can’t be booked yet. Hopefully open next month for October bookings as I need to confirm somewhere to stay !
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

RedGecko58 wrote: Fri 27th May 2022 03:10 pm Any update on renovations?

Loooking to take a good of guys for their first time and the rooms can’t be booked yet. Hopefully open next month for October bookings as I need to confirm somewhere to stay !
Depending on how many of you are going and what level of comfort etc you're wanting, there's usually plenty of choice if you're wanting somewhere close to the centre of town..
In the early days, I've stopped with groups at what was the Hotel Beursstraat - has it now become Hotel Ben?? Looks like the same address..
They have rooms that will sleep up to 5 people and if all you want/need is somewhere cheap and cheerful, that might tick all the right boxes... I used to book Voyagers all the time (see posts above), but it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Be prepared for steep staircases tho!
petty

Post by petty »

Shout out for Quentin England Hotel from where you can almost touch the Vondel Park and not far from Leidseplein. You can catch the bus from the airport to the Leidseplein stop. Hereabouts people seem obsessed with the train from the airport but the bus is more convenient. The hotel is on Roemer Visscherstraat. Of course smoking is not allowed within. Personally I haven`t smoked inside anywhere for over 25 years apart from coffeeshops. It just doesn`t appeal and I`ve never ridden an Amsterdam tram. I`ve only ever walked or cycled. What`s the rush ! You`re on holiday !
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

I once stayed at the Quentin England Hotel, right by vondelpark, great location however I had to check out early and got a refund because the room had bedbugs.
ignoring spellcheck since 1986