Experimental Google Maps

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
Balou

Re: Experimental Google Maps

Post by Balou »

notsofasteddie wrote:Are they in the Public Domain?
If you click on the links they will tell you if they are public or not, I'm almost certain they are.

Peace

Are you stoned? Like a gravel road bitch, like a gravel road!
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

SilentlyScreaming wrote:Greetings all.
Not sure if you remember me Lemming, but just popped in to see how things are going.

Anyway, back on topic, in case this helps take any of the gruntwork out of the project, you might want to check the GPS/Google Earth files I created over at http://chrismerriman.com/amsterdam/ . A lot of the info/suggestions etc. came from this site in the first place. Anyway, have a quick browse, you might find you've got them all covered, or better accuracy already.
Yes, of course I remember you! I even have pictures of us on the St Nic boat.

I've found all of the shops on Street View. In time I hope to use this to produce super-accurate maps.
Cupcake Diva

Post by Cupcake Diva »

Being high is simply grand
The_Green_Bastard

Re:

Post by The_Green_Bastard »

bundee1 wrote:a downloadable .pdf version of the cs map would be very helpful for the foreigners who dont get cell phone service in the dam.
This.
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

Cupcake Diva wrote:Image
I'm in Amsterdam and Lemming's maps are great planning documents!! They should be on the top!
matty223

Post by matty223 »

nice lemming
didnt nemsis have that great interactive map , then took it down cause he got pissed at some people on channels
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

matty223 wrote: ........then took it down cause he got pissed at some people on channels
Shocker.
"Laif" with a long "a".
scully

Post by scully »

thanks Lemming, just found this, its great, I can find any coffeeshop and get directions :lol:
Well done :!:
b happy get high
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I plotted the locations of all of the shops in Amsterdam a while ago and used them on the individual shop pages. This is that data combined.

Google Maps limits the number of locations on a single map so I can't do the whole of Amsterdam in one. Instead I've used the old zones that I created back in the 1990s.

Unlike the camera locations maps, these show the actual shop locations very accurately. Please don't steal this data.

Zone A - Central 1012 Postal District

Zone B - Western Main Canals and Jordaan

Zone C - Southern Main Canals

Zone D - Eastern Main Canals and Jodenhoek

Zone E - The Old West

Zone F - The West

Zone G - The Old South

Zone H - The New South and beyond

Zone I - The East

Zone J - The North
Lemon Haze

Post by Lemon Haze »

Thanks for this, bookmarked!
"Drugs induce paranoia and psychosis in people who have never taken any." Terence McKenna
Smirks

Post by Smirks »

Great maps Lemming. I did a big walkabout in Westerpark, the West and the Old west back in November. Some of the shops you have listed as still open are now very much closed. Check out my travelogue thread, pages 12 & 13 for more details

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/viewt ... &start=165

Mallorca in the West and Barentsz in Westerdok were very much closed when I passed by. Mallorca now converted into a residence and no sign it was ever a coffeeshop. Barentsz was gutted with fixtures and fittings removed. Could possibly have been prep for a refurb, but if I were a gambling man I'd say it was gone for good.

In the area immediately south of the park at Westerpark, all the shops that were previously listed are now gone, apart from Chapiteau and Freedom. The others have all been converted into new businesses, mostly catering ones, however one remained fully kitted out as a coffeeshop and had a license card on the window with a date of 2015 on it, That was coffeeshop Londen, so i guess it could have been open until recently.

I also came across two coffeeshops in the Old West, which are not listed at all in the directory. Both are on Agatha Dekenstraat and unfortunately both closed. They are (or were) Coffeeshop Baris (formerly known as Prima) which looked like it had sustained fire damage; and Coffeeshop Melilla, which similarly to coffeeshop Londen in Westerpark, looked like it could almost still be operational. Still fully kitted out and a valid until 2015 license stamp on the window.

There's more detailed into on my travelogue thread and I took a few photos, which I can email you, if you want further proof.
Smirks

Post by Smirks »

Other shops you are still listing as open on these maps, but which are very definitely gone include:

The Rockers - now some kind of catering business
Prefoeroe - Now a nice looking restaurant (which is only open Thu-Sat)
Custom: Now some kind of catering depot
Costa Rica - like Mallorca, now a residence and no evidence left that it was once a shop

I passed all of these during my November walkabout. Have photos of where Prefoeroe and The Rockers used to be.
thompaw

Post by thompaw »

I hear The Twilight Zone not selling cannabis anymore.

Great work in progress though! /golf clap.
There must have been a door there in the wall when I came in.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

@Smirks
Thanks very much for the info. Always sad to hear of shops being closed but good to keep the Directory up to date.
Off to read your travelogue now ...
hilian

Post by hilian »

Over the years I have used the ACD map to plan my crawls and found it useful.
My only complaint is that the main map doesn't include all the coffee shops.
So I was thrilled to find you are plotting the rest. I have heard of so many shops closing :(
And most of these I'd never heard of.
I know this has been a long job for you but we really do appreciate this as it is the best way to explore the city and find the quality shops along the way.
Can I please request tho that when you have finished your mammoth task, that you amend the printable map on the main map page to include them all, then you will have achieved perfection and a very happy forum following.
Your map/forum has been invaluable and like a bible to me
Keep up the good work, you are our hero :D
if you enjoy it pass it on