Experimental Google Maps

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
Lemming
Site Admin

Experimental Google Maps

Post by Lemming »

I've been experimenting with plotting the co-ordinates I've been recording on Google Maps. There is a restriction of 200 points per map so I've split the data up. The locations shown are the camera positions where the StreetView images are taken from rather than the actual shop locations. Only those shops I've found on StreetView are included so there are some gaps.

Amsterdam Centrum

Amsterdam Western Main Canals and Jordaan

Amsterdam Southern Main Canals

Amsterdam Eastern Main Canals and Jodenhoek

Amsterdam Old West

Amsterdam West

Amsterdam Old South

Amsterdam New South and beyond

Amsterdam East

Amsterdam North

Noord Holland excluding Amsterdam

Zuid Holland

Utrecht

Others

bundee1

Post by bundee1 »

a downloadable .pdf version of the cs map would be very helpful for the foreigners who dont get cell phone service in the dam.
StonedSince67

Re: Experimental Google Maps

Post by StonedSince67 »

Lemming wrote:I've been experimenting with plotting the co-ordinates I've been recording on Google Maps.
cool ...

and i like the link to the main website page for the coffeeshop ... it's becoming a joined-up system!

perhaps a different colour pin could be used for the closed coffeeshops
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

One day I hope to construct the ultimate coffeeshop map. This is just a stage along the way. The final map will have the actual locations of all of the shops, not just the camera locations of those I've found on StreetView, and will use different colours for types of shops, open/closed, etc.

First I need to finish the StreetView project. So far I've only explored three provinces plus a few shops as shown on the "Others" map. Once that's done I'll begin a mapping project, finding the actual co-ordinates of the shops, including those not featured on StreetView. Finally I might build a/some non-Google map(s) along the lines of the original ACD map and, possibly, a .pdf version if I can find some suitable software.

This is a long term project so, in the meantime, I generated these temporary maps by exporting KML files of the StreetView co-ordinates from the ACD database and uploading them to Google Maps.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Thanks for all your hard work so far Lemming 8)
vandaag is het begin van de rest van je leven
Colina

Post by Colina »

Superb!
Great work lemming, I love acd and your work, I think it's time for a donation now. :wink:
HOLLAND
Hope Our Love Lasts And Never Dies
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

This is the latest work in progress. It's the 1012 postcode area or Zone A as I call it on ACD. I've plotted nearly all of the shops very precisely. The green markers are coffeeshops, the blue ones are other types of shop and the grey ones are closed shops.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... c&t=h&z=15

In the process of creating this I've also fixed lots of Streetview views but I haven't uploaded those yet. I think the reason they get broken is that, when they drive around again with their camera car, they don't use the same locations. I assume they drive along taking photos at regular intervals and use some kind of GPS to record the location that each picture was taken at. I come along and record the coordinates and the angle that points directly to the shop. The problem is that next time they take a picture it's not necessarily in exactly the same place. The Google software then finds the closest location to the one from my coordinates from the old picture but it doesn't correct the angle so we finish up with a view of another building.

Anyway, the map shouldn't have the same problem.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Lemming, you're crazy :mrgreen:

Great job.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Forgot to mention, I finished this a week or so ago. It's now got every shop in 1012.

SilentlyScreaming

Post by SilentlyScreaming »

Greetings all.
Not sure if you remember me Lemming, but just popped in to see how things are going.

Anyway, back on topic, in case this helps take any of the gruntwork out of the project, you might want to check the GPS/Google Earth files I created over at http://chrismerriman.com/amsterdam/ . A lot of the info/suggestions etc. came from this site in the first place. Anyway, have a quick browse, you might find you've got them all covered, or better accuracy already.
HasAnyoneSeenMyPipe

Post by HasAnyoneSeenMyPipe »

LOL only notice this thread today. Nice work lemming, must have taken a good bit of your spare time, cheers it will be used on my next trip. (hopefully 12-15 feb next year)
2rollingstoned

Post by 2rollingstoned »

Lemming, your hard work is so very appreciated!

This place is simply invaluable to stoners all over the world that visit amazing Amsterdam.

Your map was the most important thing I brought on my trip!
None but ourselves can free our minds - Bob Marley
redeyezman

Post by redeyezman »

Lemming wrote:Forgot to mention, I finished this a week or so ago. It's now got every shop in 1012.

Best map yet. Thanks!
Shells sink. Dreams float.
ohm sweet ohm

Post by ohm sweet ohm »

Thanks for your hard work Lemming.. You are crazy though!

Tot zeins :P
Ω♥Ω ¸·´¯`·.´¯`·¸¸·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

http://www.cannabisarmy.com
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

Lemming, These are great maps!! Are they in the Public Domain?