Searching for coffeeshop amsterdam

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
Lemming
Site Admin

Searching for coffeeshop amsterdam

Post by Lemming »

A recent discussion about the Dampkring on Haarlemmerstraat giving itself a generic name (it will always be Pink Floyd to me) led me to wonder what you get when you search for "coffeeshop amsterdam" on your favourite search engine in your country.

For me, if I Google coffeeshop amsterdam, I get a random selection of Google's own shop pages and then the ACD.

For many years the ACD was the top result for many different search terms. FBN's menus site has also been high on the list for a long time. These days Google muscles in with its own content, some general-purpose tourist guides with coffeeshop sections are listed prominently and occasionally upstart coffeeshop directories are listed first for specific shops.

So, what do you get when you search for coffeeshop amsterdam on your favourite search engine in your country?

Papi

Re: Searching for coffeeshop amsterdam

Post by Papi »

Lemming wrote: Mon 7th Aug 2017 10:28 am A recent discussion about the Dampkring on Haarlemmerstraat giving itself a generic name (it will always be Pink Floyd to me) led me to wonder what you get when you search for "coffeeshop amsterdam" on your favourite search engine in your country.

For me, if I Google coffeeshop amsterdam, I get a random selection of Google's own shop pages and then the ACD.

For many years the ACD was the top result for many different search terms. FBN's menus site has also been high on the list for a long time. These days Google muscles in with its own content, some general-purpose tourist guides with coffeeshop sections are listed prominently and occasionally upstart coffeeshop directories are listed first for specific shops.

So, what do you get when you search for coffeeshop amsterdam on your favourite search engine in your country?

It's not going to happen very soon, since they only named it Coffeeshop Amsterdam, but look what happened with The Plug. One of the new guys from ACD who i hooked up with that place during my stay, told me that he only found out about ACD since my thread is listed 1st in google while searching for "the plug bcn", and i only started the thread around january this year, surpassing both their facebook and instragram page when it comes to google search. I'm guessing same thing is gonna happen with that place.
Edibles on a plane is my middle fucking name
WLow

Post by WLow »

Lemming wrote: Mon 7th Aug 2017 10:28 am So, what do you get when you search for coffeeshop amsterdam on your favourite search engine in your country?
Here in France first the googles pages
Then theses

I think the Zamnesia links were top before that vanupied guide and years ago it was always amsterdam.info.

FBN menus only shows up at the 3 page like the ACD (end of the page 3)
avfc-herbalist

Post by avfc-herbalist »

Lemming wrote: Mon 7th Aug 2017 10:28 am So, what do you get when you search for coffeeshop amsterdam on your favourite search engine in your country?
Britain:
Amsterdam Coffeeshop
Google maps and a few opening times and then.....

Coffeeshop Amsterdam

A little different to WLow 8)
sit back, blaze ganja and chill
WLow

Post by WLow »

For french people it's obviously harder to find, people want links in french.

If i remember right i found out maybe 10+ years ago, i was searching for real people talking about amsterdam, i was searching for forums boards and the first one that i found in english was the Channels board, i was not that good in english and liked to read thoses stories channels people were writting.
After that only i find out about the directory with all the great maps and all.

Thoses googles maps links that comes first on the page are the top 3 shops fake reviews :mrgreen:
i remember the ibiza thread on here having many 1 post review few years ago :roll: :lol:
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

this is what google gave me...

Coffeeshop IBIZA Amsterdam
(212) · Cannabis store
Hemonystraat 16 · +31 20 223 2534
Open until 1:00 AM

Excalibur Café
(259) · Cafe
Biker/metal bar with medieval vibe
Oudezijds Achterburgwal 48 · +31 20 770 8345
Open until 1:00 AM

Lot Sixty One
(245) · Coffee Shop
Chill coffee bar with baked goods
Kinkerstraat 112 · +31 6 16054227
Closed now
hulldj

Post by hulldj »

Here is mine using Google.co.uk - We are coming in 4th on the list.

https image
Live.. Love... Laugh and dance more. Stay safe ACD
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Thanks everyone for posting these. It's interesting stuff.

It looks like I've got a bit of work to do to get back to where we were - a few years ago we were number one on Google in many places. Probably not much I can do about Google making itself number one for so many search terms though.
DesIreland

Post by DesIreland »

Hi, lemming - on my google search (Northern Ireland) First listing i get is the same map as Wlow with coffeeshops Ibiza, Easy Times and the Stud highlighted. Second listing - "Map of open coffeeshops 2017 - ACD. Then third is " Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory". Then www.Amsterdam info. Hope this helps. Desireland
The mind is everything. What you think - you become.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Thank DesIreland. Good to see we're highly ranked in Northern Ireland.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Just a thought but is everyone ensuring they're 'logged-out' of Google/YouTube when they're running the search?

If not you're getting your personalised results based on your browsing habits rather than the search results someone who'd never visited the ACD before would see.