Rotterdam Coffeeshop Directory

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
Lemming
Site Admin

Rotterdam Coffeeshop Directory

Post by Lemming »

The 20th Anniversary Edition is making progress. I'm rolling out bits as soon as they feel stable. Please let me know if you find any faults.

The dropdown menu on the Directory button is now available everywhere except the Forum. From here, if you click any of the menu buttons except Forum and then roll your mouse over Directory you should see the dropdown.

Amsterdam is now divided into neighbourhoods and outside of Amsterdam each town now has its own page. I'm hoping the town pages will also bring in more people via Google because I know people often search for all coffeeshops in a particular town and Google never returned the old province pages for such searches.

Behind the scenes there are major changes to how the site is constructed, which makes it easier for me to maintain and makes the appearance of some elements more consistent. You probably won't notice the difference but I do :D

And so to Rotterdam...

For years I've had the mega map and Google maps of Amsterdam and several other towns. It always seemed appropriate to integrate these more into the site but there was a big hole for Rotterdam, the city with the greatest number of coffeeshops outside Amsterdam.

It always felt a bit daunting but, over the past couple of weeks I've had a marathon session of mapping all of the shops in Rotterdam and cutting out pictures from StreetView. This feels like a big step forwards and makes the idea of completing the whole country seem more achievable.

I've output the new data to two new maps:

Rotterdam open coffeeshops only

All Rotterdam shops past and present

Currently on my todo list are:

Complete my travelogue of 4/20 2017.
Sort out my Barcelona trip.
Finish mapping NL and integrating the maps into the site.
Get pictures of all shops, cutting out from StreetView if necessary.
Expand the shop pages to include:
> Google walk inside where available.
> Shop Facebook pages.
> Shop Instagram pages.
> Google reviews.
> Extra picture pages.
> Nearby shops based on coordinates rather than postcodes.

Will I live long enough to complete this list? Stay tuned to find out :D

redeyezman

Re: Rotterdam Coffeeshop Directory

Post by redeyezman »

Epic will to carry on sir. Keep it up.
Shells sink. Dreams float.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Quite a few things on this to-do list are now done.

Rotterdam specifically here: Rotterdam Coffeeshop Directory
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Awesome thank you for this! I might pay rotterdam a visit for the first time on my next trip.

Are there any recent coffeeshop reveiews for rotterdam? They all seem pretty old on the shop pages.
FODSmith

Post by FODSmith »

I had a couple of days there in 2016, and mentioned places with smoking rooms in my writeup at https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/ ... hp?t=32715. From what I've heard, things haven't really changed that much.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Monkey wrote: Tue 23rd Oct 2018 11:14 am Are there any recent coffeeshop reveiews for rotterdam? They all seem pretty old on the shop pages.
This is true, the most recent is about Pluto from September this year but, sadly, people don't send in so many reviews these days. So, if you go there, please send me some!

Strangely I don't think there's a single review of a Rotterdam shop on the forum so it doesn't seem a popular city for forum people.

General plea to you reading this - please send in more reviews of all shops everywhere!
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

FODSmith wrote: Tue 23rd Oct 2018 12:43 pm I had a couple of days there in 2016, and mentioned places with smoking rooms in my writeup at https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/ ... hp?t=32715. From what I've heard, things haven't really changed that much.
That report cracked me up, read every word. Thank you. Its as i feared with the smoking rooms, think we will go with haarlem instead!

[/quote]This is true, the most recent is about Pluto from September this year but, sadly, people don't send in so many reviews these days. So, if you go there, please send me some!

Strangely I don't think there's a single review of a Rotterdam shop on the forum so it doesn't seem a popular city for forum people.

General plea to you reading this - please send in more reviews of all shops everywhere!
[/quote]

Sorry Lemming, happy to post up some reviews of Haarlem if we get there in our blissful states.