ACD 20th Anniversary Edition

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
Lemming
Site Admin

Re: ACD 20th Anniversary Edition

Post by Lemming »

OneHighMofo wrote: Tue 2nd Oct 2018 05:19 pm Looking good here - tested on Mac OSX across all three major browsers (Safari, FF, Chrome).
Nice one Lemming. Thanks for your hard work.
Hashsmoker wrote: Tue 2nd Oct 2018 05:34 pm I think everything seems to work just fine under Ubuntu.
Looked at the different sections - the maps - the directory - home page - the forum itself and more.
The lay-out is fine, everything I tried is clickable and nothing is missing to me :mrgreen:
Nice one guys. Thanks for that. I really appreciate your testing on Mac OSX and Ubuntu because I don't have either of those.

Hashsmoker

Post by Hashsmoker »

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Paradox.html

I think the layout of this section has changed since the update.
It's much better, maps and menu's are much bigger present(ed) - I remember they were much smaller or am I mistaken ?

And their clickable from the top :D

And a big thanks to you Lemming for the forum 8)
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

They're actually bigger than before on a large screen and smaller than before on a small screen, such as a phone.

Glad you think it's an improvement :D
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Got 111 shops with inside views now

I love exploring these places. In some you can even read the menus. The only thing lacking is the smell.

List of shops with inside views
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Guess the smell will come in time :shock: even the thought blows my mind :mrgreen:
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I think I've solved the opening hours expansion issue on Apple phones now, although I haven't actually got anything to test it with.

Previously, moving the mouse pointer over the opening hours caused a box to open with the expanded hours. On a touch screen this usually means you have to tap the item to simulate passing a mouse pointer over it. In practice this worked on Android but was just ignored on an Apple.

I've now changed it to a button rather than mouse over. I think this is probably more appropriate anyway. It takes a little more space but it saves things popping up when not wanted and should solve the Apple problem.

If you can let me know how you get on on your device I'd appreciate it.

Incidentally, one of the reasons I initially hid the expansion is because I can't be sure it's correct on all of the shops. It depends on me having been consistent in my typing of the short version over the past 20 years. So, again, if you spot any mistakes, please let me know.
hulldj

Post by hulldj »

Hey Lemming,

Think I'm joining the party a few weeks late but I have just tried logging in, checked various links etc on both my android 8 inch tablet using chrome with no issues in both landscape and portrait mode and also on silk browser which I believe is the built in browser for the Amazon kindle 7inch, again without any problems.

As for checking using Linux why not install a virtual box program on your windows PC/ laptop, this will allow you to run a complete Linux operating system within your PC. Don't be scared of Linux, for your purpose you won't need to learn any new coding or even use the command terminal. There should be no problems with Linux and formatting as the main browsers people using are generally Firefox and chrome/chromium anyways.

If you need any advice on how these virtual box things work and also how easy it is to install, send me over an e-mail. We can then have a catch up on skype (when I remember my login again doh )

Also I haven't looked in a while.. How are you doing for space?
Live.. Love... Laugh and dance more. Stay safe ACD
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Hey Hulldj

Great to hear that it's working on your devices.

Not scared of Linux. I used to work with Unix on servers for many years.

In general, operating systems are not an issue. It's browsers that break things. In the past it was Microsoft's Internet Explorer that caused most problems. More recent versions of IE are much better and it's nowhere near as popular these days anyway.

Nowadays it's Apple that causes most problems. At one time I could run Apple's Safari browser on my PC to test it but they don't do Windows versions anymore.

All indications are that the current version of the site works well on all devices, browsers and operating systems, so this is good. Just my skills as a graphics designer that are lacking now!

Everything server-wise seems to be working perfectly so, I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying, thank you very very much for providing a home for the ACD.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Another new feature added yesterday

At the bottom of the map panel on most shop pages there are now three buttons saying Location, Address and StreetView.

Location - shows a marker for the precise location of the shop, confirmed by me and recorded as co-ordinates. This is the most accurate and stable.

Address - shows the location of the shop's address as calculated by Google. This is usually the same spot as the co-ordinates but can be wrong. It can also move when Google changes their data or algorithm.

Street View - many years ago I found most of the shops on Google's Street View and recorded the location and view angle. Unfortunately these can change over time. Google's car periodically drives past taking pictures every few metres but not necessarily from exactly the same places so the locations and angles I recorded may no longer be correct. I've gradually been replacing the SV locations with map locations but still have the old SV data in the database. This button uses the old data so the quality is variable.

Not all shops have all three buttons because the available data varies.

I'm also considering a fourth button plotting the name and address according to Google. This is even more prone to errors because Google makes its own decisions about where a business is located, regardless of the supplied address.

As usual, all feedback will be appreciated.
codejd

Post by codejd »

Lemming wrote: Fri 2nd Nov 2018 12:39 pm Another new feature added yesterday

Street View
Very nice, thanks!
Donkey smell.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I've now completed a massive trawl through the whole database, adding new data, making corrections and weeding out closed shops. This is the first time I've done this for many years. The Directory should be much more accurate now.

Amongst other things, I've now found 142 shops with inside views.

I've also regenerated the mega map with the latest data.
samuraiwriter

Post by samuraiwriter »

notsofasteddie wrote: Tue 20th Nov 2018 12:45 am
Lemming wrote: Sun 18th Nov 2018 12:12 pm I've now completed a massive trawl through the whole database, adding new data, making corrections and weeding out closed shops. This is the first time I've done this for many years. The Directory should be much more accurate now.

Amongst other things, I've now found 142 shops with inside views.

I've also regenerated the mega map with the latest data.
Thanks for all you do!

This site is a treasure whose value is immeasurable! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
This!

Thanks so much for this place.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Updated the classic Amsterdam map with the latest shop names
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Lemming wrote: Sun 2nd Dec 2018 11:08 pm Updated the classic Amsterdam map with the latest shop names
U spamming? Coz your getting reported anyway, that link no work for me :? 😂
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Kermit wrote: Mon 3rd Dec 2018 09:46 am
Lemming wrote: Sun 2nd Dec 2018 11:08 pm Updated the classic Amsterdam map with the latest shop names
U spamming? Coz your getting reported anyway, that link no work for me :? 😂
Oops! Anyone would think your author had been smoking grass!
Fixed it now