First grow ever!!

Including growing tips and questions.
montana85

First grow ever!!

Post by montana85 »

Yo! Been wanting to set up a grow for years & now it's finally happening! Got everything set up and ready to go! Seeds are in paper towels with roots showing about to get potted right now! Got ds 90x90x170 set up in a big cupboard, 4" fan & phresh filter (extracting into loft space) and 400w lumatek dual spec hps (dimmable to 250w). Using biobizz light mix with added perlite, as I'm doing autos for my first grow! Only reason being, is I've got a trip to dam booked in 13 weeks and wanted to sneak one in before I go! Got 4 dinafem white widow auto and 1 world of seeds amnesia auto (all fem). Will be posting some progress as I go so feel free to add any suggestions etc. Just going to be a learning curve for me really til I get back from Dam, then growing normal photoperiods. Peace. :mrgreen:

"Excuse me while I light my spliff, good God I gotta take a lift!"
RvanSteensel

Re: First grow ever!!

Post by RvanSteensel »

Dont use nutrients in they dosage they advice !! Not even close !!!!

Just get some basic nutrients , growth and flower nutes

Water them maybe two three times with growthnutes, and only 1time with flowernutes. Thats maybe 1 a 1.5 ml of each

Its better to give ur plants TOO LESS water than TOO MUCH water

Autos seem to do well at 14 a 16hours light a day i believe
Relax and take notes , as I take tokes of the marihuana smoke
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Hoi
Nice little set up, doing it proper. :)
Once you get some experience, you'll be able to feed them almost by sight. Until then, use approximately 60-75% of recommended nutrients.
As the plants grow, they will "tell" you if they need more or less.
For lighting, I'd use 16-18 hours throughout the entire grow. I've learned that using less hours of light will have a negative effect on yield. Just keeping it real.
Let us know how you get on. ;)
Cheers
:mrgreen: and Zippy
RvanSteensel

Post by RvanSteensel »

Uncle Ron wrote:Hoi
For lighting, I'd use 16-18 hours throughout the entire grow. I've learned that using less hours of light will have a negative effect on yield. Just keeping it real.
my bad :lol: :roll:
Relax and take notes , as I take tokes of the marihuana smoke
montana85

Post by montana85 »

Keeping lights on 18/6 for entire grow as I've read it's best! Yeah even though it's first grow thought I would try do it proper! Done loads & loads of reading, lots of different opinions tho! Got a Jorge Cavantes book, seems to know his stuff! Will update soon as theirs progress! :mrgreen:
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

RvanSteensel wrote:
Uncle Ron wrote:Hoi
my bad :lol: :roll:
eh? rolling eyes, really? everybody has their own way, this is just mine.
if 14-16 hours works for you, then stick by it. just because I recommend something else doesn't mean I'm right, just that I have a different point of view. 8)
Happy Farming.
montana85

Post by montana85 »

Any advice how to get humidity up? Temps are 27C and RH is 38%. I've put in a damp towel. Any other suggestions?
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

a humidifier should resolve this issue, but i would recommend caution.
low humidity is not uncommon for the "veg" cycle. when you change over to high pressure sodium for flowering, you'll be asking how to lower the humidity.
an answer is to open up the air circulation to the fullest. if that means leaving open the zipper (flaps still closed) on the tent, then so be it. the exhaust will still function, better perhaps.
happy farming.

edit: i didn't notice a circulating fan in your list of equipment. perhaps adding one will help, it did for me.
montana85

Post by montana85 »

I am already using 250w hps as we speak! I'm waiting on circulation fan, should be here today/tomorrow as there was a delay! I will try open up the tent door if u think it will help! Thanks.
gettingrimey

Post by gettingrimey »

You can buy a mister from a grow shop for about 30 quid or leave a tray of standing water in the tent. Your main issue will be too high humidity and temps further on into the grow, summer time can be a bitch. Also buy a ec pen so you can get your nute strengths bang on, no guess work. Oh and mag cal, buy this
I be chillin on the beach in the South of Venice
Or merking the President live on Channel 7
gettingrimey

Post by gettingrimey »

You can buy a mister from a grow shop for about 30 quid or leave a tray of standing water in the tent. Your main issue will be too high humidity and temps further on into the grow, summer time can be a bitch. Also buy a ec pen so you can get your nute strengths bang on, no guess work. Oh and mag cal, buy this
gettingrimey

Post by gettingrimey »

Also that four inch fans probably not going to be man enough, Further on into the grow, growing in the summer is a right pain.
gettingrimey

Post by gettingrimey »

Sorry for the multiple comments, but don't pot up autos, plant them up in the largest pots you can fit. There tap root does not like being disturbed.
montana85

Post by montana85 »

@gettingrimey, Hi man. I resolved the humidity problem with a damp towel! Humidity has been between 56-60% since! :mrgreen: I bought a kit off ebay and it was a 4" fan with it! Seems to be doing fine for me just now and will have to do for the time being (funds). Temps are 28C at the mo & lights are on 24/7 for the seedling stage. I also potted straight into 11l pots on Sunday night so no probs there! All have sprouted and shed seed casings so I removed cling film I had on for humidity! Only thing I don't have is the ec pen, which is on my list once I get paid. I have a pretty decent de-humidifier that I've had for ages which I will use in hot weather. Thanks for your input man. Will post pics as soon as I can be assed! Just bonged some lemon skunk & super pollen & I'm pretty melted into my couch right now! :mrgreen: Peace!
gettingrimey

Post by gettingrimey »

Nice work mate, an ec pen will save you so much bother, on my first grow I had a lot of problems with overfeeding, second grow with an ec meter no problems. Also I haven't noticed a fan in the tent, which you will need. Good luck