Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Culture, Events, Tourism, Living and Working there, etc.
User avatar
treetop
Posts: 3197
Joined: Mon 18th May 2009 12:48 am
Location: with the sun occasionally on my back

Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by treetop »

Me and my fiance want to move to Amsterdam to live and work. We would both be self employed. We presently live in Thailand. My partner is Thai and I am English.

Any pointers as to where or what we need to do to make this happen? We just want to follow the rules so we can enjoy and profit from our lives in Amsterdam.

I have 5k EU saved and 1200 eu a month income. Would my fiance and I need to obtain the proper paperwork before being able to work or could we find casual work under the table more easily?

The visa/travel expenses drop that down to 2k eu. So we'd have enough for a deposit on a house/flat I figure. Then it is living on my small income of 1200 eu a month until we do the paperwork and are both able to work.

How much time in Amsterdam would be savings/income buy us you think? What paperwork should I be looking at before I go?

I suppose an important question is how long could we last on 1200 a month and no job between us? I'm thinking I may be light about 3k eu in my savings. Any opinions?


How much did you produce?
User avatar
Marco
Posts: 3021
Joined: Thu 10th Sep 2009 11:12 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by Marco »

treetop wrote:Me and my fiance want to move to Amsterdam to live and work. We would both be self employed. We presently live in Thailand. My partner is Thai and I am English.

Any pointers as to where or what we need to do to make this happen? We just want to follow the rules so we can enjoy and profit from our lives in Amsterdam.

I have 5k EU saved and 1200 eu a month income. Would my fiance and I need to obtain the proper paperwork before being able to work or could we find casual work under the table more easily?

The visa/travel expenses drop that down to 2k eu. So we'd have enough for a deposit on a house/flat I figure. Then it is living on my small income of 1200 eu a month until we do the paperwork and are both able to work.

How much time in Amsterdam would be savings/income buy us you think? What paperwork should I be looking at before I go?

I suppose an important question is how long could we last on 1200 a month and no job between us? I'm thinking I may be light about 3k eu in my savings. Any opinions?
Yeah, please come here and have your bird work under the table, so I can subsidize you with my tax payments. FFS.

Immigration to the EU is complicated, and I would not look for such advice on a stoner messageboard.

You will both need health insurance, which is minimum 120eur a month. If you don't have it from day one, once you actually register legally, they will make you pay for all the months you lived here plus a fine.

Apartments are tough to find, and you need to register with city hall, but you can do that no problems as an EU citizen. You can bring your wife here, but there are rules.

Not to be harsh....but follow the rules, there is no wiggle room here.
Slip & Sal
Posts: 1454
Joined: Fri 30th Sep 2011 09:39 am

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by Slip & Sal »

Fucking learn some manners Marco you fucking ass. :roll: He asked a question. No need to accuse him of trying to rip shit off and work under the table and stuff like that. No where did I see him trying to say hey how do I sneak my bludging ass into the country. Maybe you should take that medication for your superiority complex you got going. :lol:


I really miss all the informative old members. :cry:
I don't take drugs, I am Drugs.
User avatar
redeyezman
Posts: 1351
Joined: Fri 25th Feb 2011 01:59 am

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by redeyezman »

Come to Colorado, USA! the smart ones here don't recognize the false authority the government has over people. Fuck taxes, fuck cops, just don't fuck with me and you'll be fine. No victim, no crime.

Baaaaaaaaaaaa
Shells sink. Dreams float.
User avatar
Marco
Posts: 3021
Joined: Thu 10th Sep 2009 11:12 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by Marco »

Slip & Sal wrote:Fucking learn some manners Marco you fucking ass. :roll: He asked a question. No need to accuse him of trying to rip shit off and work under the table and stuff like that. No where did I see him trying to say hey how do I sneak my bludging ass into the country. Maybe you should take that medication for your superiority complex you got going. :lol:


I really miss all the informative old members. :cry:
I guess you can't read?
Would my fiance and I need to obtain the proper paperwork before being able to work or could we find casual work under the table more easily?
User avatar
spidergawd
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sun 11th May 2008 09:21 pm
Location: The Mars Hotel

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by spidergawd »

treetop wrote:Me and my fiance want to move to Amsterdam to live and work. We would both be self employed. We presently live in Thailand. My partner is Thai and I am English.

Any pointers as to where or what we need to do to make this happen? We just want to follow the rules so we can enjoy and profit from our lives in Amsterdam.

I have 5k EU saved and 1200 eu a month income. Would my fiance and I need to obtain the proper paperwork before being able to work or could we find casual work under the table more easily?

The visa/travel expenses drop that down to 2k eu. So we'd have enough for a deposit on a house/flat I figure. Then it is living on my small income of 1200 eu a month until we do the paperwork and are both able to work.

How much time in Amsterdam would be savings/income buy us you think? What paperwork should I be looking at before I go?

I suppose an important question is how long could we last on 1200 a month and no job between us? I'm thinking I may be light about 3k eu in my savings. Any opinions?
Treetop my dear old thing, E1200 is near the bottom end of what you would need these days but I bet you could do it, just. I dont live in Amsterdam but I'm thinking of London where I do live which probably has similar costs ie. rent, food, travel, all the other stuff you need to live with utilities. Sorry am I scaring you :shock:?
I guess the rules for EU citizens is mainly that you can support yourself, for non EU then visas and stuff for sure.

Does it have to be Amsterdam if you're self employed ? it's a lovely country and it's quite small :D
What a long strange trip it is.
Slip & Sal
Posts: 1454
Joined: Fri 30th Sep 2011 09:39 am

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by Slip & Sal »

Marco wrote:
I guess you can't read?
Would my fiance and I need to obtain the proper paperwork before being able to work or could we find casual work under the table more easily?
Yeah I can read dickhead! I clearly see a guy asking a question if he should do something or not which is the right way to do something. Clearly you ranting and acting liked he was definitely going to do the wrong thing, was awesome and informative. Had you left that part out and just simply answered a question civilly then it would have been a good post and something worth reading. The Insurance bit was actually helpful. Anyway back to colouring Winnie the Pooh, think I'll use the green crayon! :roll:
I don't take drugs, I am Drugs.
weedhog
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed 7th Jul 2010 12:11 am
Location: NL

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by weedhog »

Treetop I will have to agree with Marco it is a complicated process. I made the move and am now currently living in Haarlem.
I have to first say if you plan to live in the city then 1200 e will not be enough, It will cost at least 1oooe per month to rent a small 1 br apt. then you have food etc..
I have the euros and am from USA so I just used an immigration lawyer to file for citzenship using dutch american friendship treaty.
It is great here but I will probably be moving back to US in the Spring/Summer getting home sick and Colorado or California is looking real good to me.
joossy
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat 27th Feb 2010 02:13 pm

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by joossy »

Can't believe Slip & Sal are still allowed on this forum :cry:
User avatar
spidergawd
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sun 11th May 2008 09:21 pm
Location: The Mars Hotel

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by spidergawd »

/\-/\ Bloody hell everyones sparky today, must be the full moon I guess. In my hemisphere anyway. :D :D
What a long strange trip it is.
Slip & Sal
Posts: 1454
Joined: Fri 30th Sep 2011 09:39 am

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by Slip & Sal »

This was part of Flybynite's link. It seems informative.

http://www.postwar.nl/amsterdam/howams_ ... ehere.html

Was a full moon here too! :mrgreen:

Sorry Marco I had just read five threads of you geeing up veggie head and then came to this one and saw you whinging again, Treetop has always been a polite poster, so I didn't think the angst was necessary. Who the F@#k am I anyway? I sure your not at home wiping your tears over my comments. I really do wonder what has made you hate on the newbies so much though???


Joosy get over it ya floppin' whinger.Go fly a kite or plane or whatever you do. :lol:
Whose bum you trying to suck?
I don't take drugs, I am Drugs.
User avatar
dconstrukt
Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu 12th Jun 2008 02:27 am
Location: Heading to the mothership â„¢
Contact:

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by dconstrukt »

weedhog.

did something similar last year.... but i work for myself, from home... so just packed up and moved there..... it was cool, but man I missed all my friends and mostly home (miami).... we have it SO good here in the states.

and i honestly got bored of sitting in the coffeeshops every day.... there's only SO much you can do it.... (never thought I'd say that, but damn)
User avatar
spidergawd
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sun 11th May 2008 09:21 pm
Location: The Mars Hotel

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by spidergawd »

dconstrukt wrote:weedhog.

did something similar last year.... but i work for myself, from home... so just packed up and moved there..... it was cool, but man I missed all my friends and mostly home (miami).... we have it SO good here in the states.

and i honestly got bored of sitting in the coffeeshops every day.... there's only SO much you can do it.... (never thought I'd say that, but damn)
/\-/\ But that is the reality of it. The expat life anywhere is glamorous for a while, no roots fancy free but if you already have a good life where you are, it needs a lot of thought to trade it for a toke. :?
What a long strange trip it is.
User avatar
dconstrukt
Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu 12th Jun 2008 02:27 am
Location: Heading to the mothership â„¢
Contact:

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by dconstrukt »

spidergawd - ya... totally agree.... well, i live in miami, if we had legal weed like cali, i'd be in absolute heaven. its gorgeous here.

and lets face it, americans are fucking spoiled.

we have it SO good.

like i went for a bottle of water, 2.50e

here its like .75e

factor everything you do is much more money and getting less for it, it adds up. Now that said, I'm not hurting for cash, but still.

but there's only so much you can sit in a coffeeshop.... strangely I found myself wanting to go home to smoke...(which pretty much defeats the purpose of being there LOL)
User avatar
Marco
Posts: 3021
Joined: Thu 10th Sep 2009 11:12 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Moving to Amsterdam. Getting Started.

Post by Marco »

spidergawd wrote:
dconstrukt wrote:weedhog.

did something similar last year.... but i work for myself, from home... so just packed up and moved there..... it was cool, but man I missed all my friends and mostly home (miami).... we have it SO good here in the states.

and i honestly got bored of sitting in the coffeeshops every day.... there's only SO much you can do it.... (never thought I'd say that, but damn)
/\-/\ But that is the reality of it. The expat life anywhere is glamorous for a while, no roots fancy free but if you already have a good life where you are, it needs a lot of thought to trade it for a toke. :?

Yep, very good points. It takes time and effort to make new friends, to find good work, build a professional network and all that. The taxes are sky-high and the Dutch are not that friendly.

On the other hand, it works if you work it....Amsterdam is a really great global city and the distance of the Dutch means that expats hang together and can form really great friendships, etc. Plus, all of Europe is at your doorstep.

Anyway, for Treetop, I completely forgot something very important. To bring your girlfriend, partner of wife, as an EU citizen, you must make a minimum per month in income. The income can come from your own business or from a job, and the amount begins at 1,400eur per month.

Here is more info http://www.everaert.nl/en/news/16-parti ... -gewijzigd
Post Reply

Return to “Other Amsterdam and the Netherlands”