Amsterdam councillors vote to ditch Iamsterdam letters

Culture, Events, Tourism, Living and Working there, etc.
DjShaggy

Re: Amsterdam councillors vote to ditch Iamsterdam letters

Post by DjShaggy »

I can’t help but wonder, if everyone decided “ok you don’t want us fine” would the city of Amsterdam survive without tourist money?

ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

DjShaggy wrote: Fri 9th Nov 2018 02:31 pm I can’t help but wonder, if everyone decided “ok you don’t want us fine” would the city of Amsterdam survive without tourist money?
Yes and no. Yes in the sense that even if they tried to make it unbearable the allure for a massive influx of tourists and expats alike has just been a non stop surge over the past decade. No in the sense that if all the tourists fucked off they might take a hit but there's plenty of foreign investment outside of tourism injected into the local economy in the form of expats, and corporations...actually if you cut just tourists and not expats, I think it would survive, that said while I'm often excessively annoyed with the negative aspects of tourism it helps temper the exclusive Dutch society bubble and brings new fresh blood and untold stories into town every day.

In short ideal for me would be a town than has less inundation of tourists than Amsterdam but still with more tourists and expats than any other Dutch cities offer...so Amsterdam it is!
macky

Post by macky »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Fri 9th Nov 2018 05:44 pm
DjShaggy wrote: Fri 9th Nov 2018 02:31 pm I can’t help but wonder, if everyone decided “ok you don’t want us fine” would the city of Amsterdam survive without tourist money?
Yes and no. Yes in the sense that even if they tried to make it unbearable the allure for a massive influx of tourists and expats alike has just been a non stop surge over the past decade. No in the sense that if all the tourists fucked off they might take a hit but there's plenty of foreign investment outside of tourism injected into the local economy in the form of expats, and corporations...actually if you cut just tourists and not expats, I think it would survive, that said while I'm often excessively annoyed with the negative aspects of tourism it helps temper the exclusive Dutch society bubble and brings new fresh blood and untold stories into town every day.

In short ideal for me would be a town than has less inundation of tourists than Amsterdam but still with more tourists and expats than any other Dutch cities offer...so Amsterdam it is!
Exclusive Dutch society ...you mean born there?
If I was one I would think I would prefer tourist over expats ....tourist go home :roll:
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Ban stick again :roll:
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

Lets build a big sign with the name of our city on and put it right outside one of the biggest museums in the city, surely the tourists won’t wanna go to that right?
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Daz1976

Post by Daz1976 »

notsofasteddie wrote: Tue 4th Dec 2018 12:59 pm HUH: New letters on Amsterdam's Museumplein

By Janene Pieters
December 4, 2018

Only hours after the iconic I Amsterdam letters were removed from the Museumplein, new giant letters appeared in front of the Rijksmuseum. These letters spell out 'HUH', and are Amsterdam artist Pauline Wiersema's way of protesting against the disappearance of I Amsterdam, AT5 reports.

Wiersema designed the letters for Dutch Design Week and put them in use on Monday. According to her, the removal of the I Amsterdam letters will not solve the problem with crowds at all.

"A void has now been created because the logo is gone", she said to the Amsterdam broadcaster. "I wanted to make the transition a bit smoother."

nltimes
😂😂
Must admit, I got a photo lighting a spliff late at night on my last trip ✌️😎 I Am
Smell the flowers while you can✌️