Amsterdam Clubs

Culture, Events, Tourism, Living and Working there, etc.
MPlant

Amsterdam Clubs

Post by MPlant »

Does anyone have any experience with clubs like De Marktkantine, De School, Shelter or Warehouse Elementenstraat?

Just wondered whether they would be ok with tourists coming or if they prefer to cater to locals.

I've never had any problems visiting Paradiso, Melkweg, or Awakenings but they're probably more used to tourists.

DjShaggy

Re: Amsterdam Clubs

Post by DjShaggy »

What like nightclubs?
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
MPlant

Post by MPlant »

Yeah, just wondered if anyone had visited any of the ones I mentioned. I don't want to travel out to them if I'll get knocked back for being a tourist.

I thought they might be a bit more cliquey than the clubs I've visited before (Paradiso, Melkweg, Awakenings) as they are not so centrally located, and probably cater much more to a local only crowd. I'd heard of De School and Shelter being a bit strict on tourists entering but that is only based on anecdotal evidence, so could be bollocks.
tinky

Post by tinky »

Never had any issue getting in Shelter or Trouw when it was open. Never yet made it to De School but only heard good things.
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

MPlant wrote: Sun 15th Sep 2019 04:51 pm I'd heard of De School and Shelter being a bit strict on tourists entering but that is only based on anecdotal evidence, so could be bollocks.
Definitely bollocks
SuperSkunk

Post by SuperSkunk »

Hello there :)

I will be in AMS next week and was looking out for some Clubs to go in the evenings.
The following ones are already on my list:

De Marktkantine
- https://marktkantine.nl/events/de-markt ... ary-party/

OT301
- http://www.ot301.nl/agenda/7989

BRET
- https://www.bret.bar/event/bretpark-festival-2019/

De School
- https://www.deschoolamsterdam.nl/nl/pro ... ariah/996/

Melkweg
- https://www.melkweg.nl/en/agenda/techno ... 4-09-2019/

Roest
-

In addition to that i know Shelter & Paradiso and some clubs around the Leidseplein.

my question would be: Are there any more clubs which focus mainly on Electronic Music ?

Or even better, any "underground"-Clubs anyone knows here?

Greets! 8)
There are no facts, only interpretations. - F. Nietzsche
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Seems like you've got a really solid list there, haven't been to all but hear good things about De School and Roest. Maybe Nugs or another one from our local team can help with more info, RvanSteensel is into Electronic IIRC...
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Roest isn't exactly a full on nightclub and is closing its doors for good at the end of this month.

De School & Shelter tend be a more local, somewhat cliquey but diehard techno-head crowd. None have any outright policy against tourists/foreigners, but they do cater more to the local crowd and will frequently ask you about the night's program/agenda at the door, so make sure you know and can recite to them by heart who's spinning (at least the main act) that night. Also unlike more commerical clubs in Amsterdam and other cities, dress down not up. Solid black tee, non-branded clothing and the like, no brand names, loud bright colors or collared shirts. Also don't come in a massive group, your party should appear to the doorman to consist of five people max.

Edit: Marktkantine is nice too, they're a bit less strict/pretentious than School or Shelter, and cater still to a more local/Dutch crowd, but feel decidedly more accepting of tourists and the like, and laid back to that regard. Nonetheless to be safe still refer to my advice for School above.

Element Warehouse isn't open every weekend and is more of an event venue than a true nightclub, but certainly a good venue.

In summary they can't turn tourists away on principle, but if they know you're a tourist and don't seem to be properly into the scene/appreciator of the specific DJ/music, you run the risk of them trying to turn you away, but heeding my advice above in most cases should get you past the doorman.

Bonus: anyone into Psytrance/Psychedelics should give Ruigoord a look, their "Transorient Express" Psytrance party is held on a once a month basis typically and it's my favorite Amsterdam venue for an all-nighter easily.

Final edit: the policy on drugs in Amstedam clubs, even weed can be a bit let forgiving than people tend to think. Always stash your intoxicants in your socks/underwear/bra etc. if possible.
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Tue 17th Sep 2019 09:07 pm

Final edit: the policy on drugs in Amstedam clubs, even weed can be a bit let forgiving than people tend to think. Always stash your intoxicants in your socks/underwear/bra etc. if possible.
This! I once got all but 1 bag of weed taken off my at the box.
MPlant

Post by MPlant »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Tue 17th Sep 2019 09:07 pm
De School & Shelter tend be a more local, somewhat cliquey but diehard techno-head crowd. None have any outright policy against tourists/foreigners, but they do cater more to the local crowd and will frequently ask you about the night's program/agenda at the door, so make sure you know and can recite to them by heart who's spinning (at least the main act) that night.

Edit: Marktkantine is nice too, they're a bit less strict/pretentious than School or Shelter, and cater still to a more local/Dutch crowd, but feel decidedly more accepting of tourists and the like, and laid back to that regard. Nonetheless to be safe still refer to my advice for School above.

Element Warehouse isn't open every weekend and is more of an event venue than a true nightclub, but certainly a good venue.

In summary they can't turn tourists away on principle, but if they know you're a tourist and don't seem to be properly into the scene/appreciator of the specific DJ/music, you run the risk of them trying to turn you away, but heeding my advice above in most cases should get you past the doorman.
I had heard that about De School and Shelter. They seem to operate a bit like the Sub Club do over here, so I'll just make sure I know who is playing.

It'll be good to check somewhere different out, just hope there's someone decent on when I'm over. Last time I saw Leftfield at The Paradiso two nights on the trot, which was nice.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
MPlant

Post by MPlant »

SuperSkunk wrote: Tue 17th Sep 2019 03:27 pm Hello there :)

I will be in AMS next week and was looking out for some Clubs to go in the evenings.

Thuishaven sounds interesting: DJ Rush (5 hours) and Rod are playing next week if you're into techno. It's a fair trek from the centre but the venue definitely sounds interesting.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/club.aspx?id=109027

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Con ... d4.8552741
SuperSkunk

Post by SuperSkunk »

CopenhagenCouple wrote: Tue 17th Sep 2019 07:51 pm Seems like you've got a really solid list there, haven't been to all but hear good things about De School and Roest. Maybe Nugs or another one from our local team can help with more info, RvanSteensel is into Electronic IIRC...
Thx, i looked a long time to get a complete list...
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Tue 17th Sep 2019 09:07 pm Roest isn't exactly a full on nightclub and is closing its doors for good at the end of this month.

De School & Shelter tend be a more local, somewhat cliquey but diehard techno-head crowd. None have any outright policy against tourists/foreigners, but they do cater more to the local crowd and will frequently ask you about the night's program/agenda at the door, so make sure you know and can recite to them by heart who's spinning (at least the main act) that night. Also unlike more commerical clubs in Amsterdam and other cities, dress down not up. Solid black tee, non-branded clothing and the like, no brand names, loud bright colors or collared shirts. Also don't come in a massive group, your party should appear to the doorman to consist of five people max.

Bonus: anyone into Psytrance/Psychedelics should give Ruigoord a look, their "Transorient Express" Psytrance party is held on a once a month basis typically and it's my favorite Amsterdam venue for an all-nighter easily.

Heard about that door-policy @ De School & Shelter. I was there in the past so i know the places well.
About dress-code & stuff, never had a problem there, I#m not some kind of an over-dresser, but i love my sakko & sometimes a button-down-shirt & not wearing sneakers in the evening...

Could get in, both back then (2 and 3 years ago...)
But we will see...
MPlant wrote: Wed 18th Sep 2019 08:42 pm
SuperSkunk wrote: Tue 17th Sep 2019 03:27 pm Hello there :)

Thuishaven sounds interesting: DJ Rush (5 hours) and Rod are playing next week if you're into techno. It's a fair trek from the centre but the venue definitely sounds interesting.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/club.aspx?id=109027

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Con ... d4.8552741
Thank you pal for your addition. Thuishaven is now on my list too - the girl who's coming with me - was there and she really liked the place...

Maybe we will see each other there on Sunday :D

Would be nice.

Again, thx to all for the local information.
Much appreciated.

Enjoy your day lads.
There are no facts, only interpretations. - F. Nietzsche
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

MPlant wrote: Sun 15th Sep 2019 02:53 pm Does anyone have any experience with clubs like De Marktkantine, De School, Shelter or Warehouse Elementenstraat?

Just wondered whether they would be ok with tourists coming or if they prefer to cater to locals.

I've never had any problems visiting Paradiso, Melkweg, or Awakenings but they're probably more used to tourists.
No prob at either De Marktkantine it Warehouse. Last I knew both have multiple rooms. Both have fantastic sound systems, particularly De Marktkantine.

Ride Metro to Elementenstraat, it's the last stop.

HTH
"Laif" with a long "a".