Advise for an MS sufferer

Legal news, protests, etc.
ForDarkseid

Advise for an MS sufferer

Post by ForDarkseid »

Hi, I hope this is the correct place to post, my Mother has MS and suffered for it for around 20 years and its getting worse. Currently aided for walking around with a 3 wheel tri pod type thing which helps so much. She suffers alot of pain and discomfort and has started asking me about options, she knows I love my MJ but she will never be a smoker again after quitting 3 years ago.

What advice\guidance can you give me in terms of options, we also live in the UK but I hear there are options to help assist her pain and discomfot

Thanks alot

Fat_old_dwarf

Re: Advise for an MS sufferer

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

My sympathies, it's a bugger. There seems to be a lot of information at https://www.mssociety.org.uk/cannabis-and-ms. CBD oil is legal, Sativex is available from private doctors but not on the NHS. Would your mother consider vaping or eating cannabis?
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

In my limited understanding - relief from the spasticity caused by MS can be alleviated with light doses of THC, I might be wrong but I'm not sure that CBD is particularly effective in this indication (other than as an anti-inflammatory and as a modulator for certain 'undesirable' effects of THC).

THC is easily titrated by smoking or vaping but if that method isn't open to the patient perhaps some very light edibles in the form of swallowable capsules would make experimenting with dosage manageable?

I'd be happy to point you in the direction of a methodology/recipe for creating either:

1. Canna-caps made with coconut oil (from either dried buds or oil - if you can get it)...
Or
2. an alcoholic tincture for sublingual dosing. Which would be (essentially) the same as Sativex.NOTE: Sativex IS currently available via the NHS for MS patients so you might not necessarily have to tread an illegal path to treatment.
However it's worth noting that anecdotally - Sativex has been criticised for not being as effective as medicine made at home via a 'whole plant extraction' method.
What I'm saying is that if you can get or make it yourself - it might be more effective.
ForDarkseid

Post by ForDarkseid »

Thanks alot for the info team, I will look into all this. I think she would be happy to try weed via food, not sure about vaping but I will speak to her about it, thanks alot folks.