https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... california
That's pretty mad!
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
OneHighMofo

Re: Cannabooze

Post by OneHighMofo »

Fascinating - thanks for posting Comus.
I didn’t like this paragraph at all
The scientists, who have already launched a cannabinoid brewing company, say the process is considerably cheaper, safer and more environmentally friendly than extracting the compounds from marijuana plants.
Safer seems like something of an assumption given what we don’t know about Cannabis safety yet. Also - the entourage effect of cannabinoids and effects modulating terpenes is clearly missing. Another cause for concern for me.

Amazing reading though. Thanks again.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Wait, so is this like synthesizing the cannabinoids (in the absence of an actual cannabis plant or its derivatives) through fermentation process? Or do derivatives from actual Cannabis plant have to be introduced to the yeast in the fermentation process?
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

The article makes it sound fairly natural. Like the synthesis is happening just as it would in the plant.
Having read the article again - it seems slightly contradictory.

Near the top the article suggests that the scientists are using ‘just the addition of’ sugar as the only input. But further down the page it mentions that the inputs are ‘more than a dozen genes’

So yeah… Fantastic churnalism by the Guardian as always 🧐
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

OneHighMofo wrote: Thu 28th Feb 2019 03:19 pm The article makes it sound fairly natural. Like the synthesis is happening just as it would in the plant.
Having read the article again - it seems slightly contradictory.

Near the top the article suggests that the scientists are using ‘just the addition of’ sugar as the only input. But further down the page it mentions that the inputs are ‘more than a dozen genes’

So yeah… Fantastic churnalism by the Guardian as always 🧐
Well given there's more science behind this process than the average layman's knowledge can proffer, it's no surprise clarity and genuine understanding is lacking from the author's text here. That said, still does not answer my question - is the yeast being supplemented with the introduction of only sugar to synthesize cannabinoids - in a process which mimics their biosynthesis within the plant itself via fermentation? Or rather what I mean, is some sort of medium or component of this mix originally derived from actual cannabis plants, I would presume it has to be, no? Though I have read about CBD being able to be extracted from plants other than cannabis, so perhaps not? Excuse my lacking knowledge of biochemistry here...'tis not my forte by a long shot.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Thu 28th Feb 2019 03:39 pm Well given there's more science behind this process than the average layman's knowledge can proffer, it's no surprise clarity and genuine understanding is lacking from the author's text here. That said, still does not answer my question - is the yeast being supplemented with the introduction of only sugar to synthesize cannabinoids - in a process which mimics their biosynthesis within the plant itself via fermentation? Or rather what I mean, is some sort of medium or component of this mix originally derived from actual cannabis plants, I would presume it has to be, no? Though I have read about CBD being able to be extracted from plants other than cannabis, so perhaps not? Excuse my lacking knowledge of biochemistry here...'tis not my forte by a long shot.
Indeed. I have the same questions given the lack of clarity compounded by the potential contradiction. As you say potentially a lay-persons ignorance is at play but I do think the OP could have done more to clarify.

My take-away from the article is that the answer to your question is 'no'. But I'm not confident that's a certainty by any means.

I'm left wondering if the sugars are the vehicles by which the genes are delivered? The full paper is linked for once- feel free to dive in! It's pretty scary :)
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

There's a diagram on page 2 of the paper that shows the engineered biosynthetic pathways. It seems 'sugars' and a Hexanoic acid are the only inputs.

It seems they're using those precursors to arrive at CBG-A which is the precursor to THC-a and CBD-a in the plant. Fascinating stuff for sure.
Comus

Post by Comus »

OneHighMofo wrote: Thu 28th Feb 2019 04:07 pm I do think the OP could have done more to clarify.
don't shoot the messenger dude :shock: :mrgreen:
I'm in shocks and stares
Comus

Post by Comus »

soooo .... in clarification, here's the science behind the process as published in the scientific journal 'Nature'

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586- ... ardian.com

:thumbup:
I'm in shocks and stares
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Comus wrote: Thu 28th Feb 2019 05:12 pm
OneHighMofo wrote: Thu 28th Feb 2019 04:07 pm I do think the OP could have done more to clarify.
don't shoot the messenger dude :shock: :mrgreen:
Hahaha by OP I meant the Guardian journalist but I suspect you may be yanking my chain :D
Comus

Post by Comus »

:lol: cosider your chain well and truly yanked :lol:
I'm in shocks and stares
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Comus wrote: Thu 28th Feb 2019 06:06 pm :lol: cosider your chain well and truly yanked :lol:
Best offer I've had all week :wink: