Before putting pics online, REMOVE THE METADATA!!!

Post tips here on how to join, how to post pictures, etc.
zootly

Before putting pics online, REMOVE THE METADATA!!!

Post by zootly »

When you take a photo with a digital camera, all kinds of shit is captured aside from the image - it varies from camera to camera, some of them include GPS info!!! To get some idea of what is there, check out http://regex.info/exif.cgi

So do yourself a favour and use something like JPG & PNG stripper http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=30 on ANY photo you take before you post it online ANYWHERE.

I'll take me tinfoil hat off now...

spidergawd

Re: Before putting pics online, REMOVE THE METADATA!!!

Post by spidergawd »

Thanks I think thats good advice zootly, this www can be a bit of a jungle for the unwary and unknowing.
There are some wierd freaks lurking, but it's a great innovation for tons of reasons so taking some care makes sure that it stays a good place where I can carry on learning stuff and having a bit of fun.

I use Picasa3 to upload images do you know if that contains a meta stripper ? I only click the embed link and I disable the album link. Any good :?: :?

I'm not getting the tin foil out either but a friends experiences have prompted me to want to be as careful as I can be within my limited abilities on the web.
What a long strange trip it is.
zootly

Re: Before putting pics online, REMOVE THE METADATA!!!

Post by zootly »

Cheers mate - I've not used Picasa, but given it's owned by Google probably isn't stripping data because that's exactly what Google are after :(

Certainly is a jungle out there... I'm new around here and was prompted to post this after i saw a photo in the live chat window that had all the metadata in there - we all know what kind of camera Uncle Ron has now...