Batavia

Restaurants and takeaways.
jollylittlehun

Re: Batavia

Post by jollylittlehun »

highlyblessed wrote:batavia food can be very good,BUT is depends which chef is working imo ,with the right chef the sunday roast and english breakfast carnet be beat!
blesssssss

Any idea how much the breakfast costs HB?

Dave near London

Post by Dave near London »

A good pie and a place to toke / have a beer - be there in July all being well. Many thanks. :D
Dave J

Post by Dave J »

Lost count of the amount of times I'd have passed the place over the years and not once noticed or thought it looked like they allow smoking inside. Will certainly be giving it a go next trip as the views look pretty cool.
Puppa Ruff

Post by Puppa Ruff »

:shock:

went there a few times during my short stay in April, to enjoy my Voyager's purchase wid a beer, while the missus (non-smoker) had her tae&cake upstairs... I was expressely told by the owner (?) that we were always welcome there, and not once I noticed they served food!! :shock: :shock:

... talking about being shtoned... :roll:

will deffo try the pie &/or brekkie when I'm there next in August!
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

Ate here back in August 2011, while waiting to hook up with Gapie before departing for Germany. Really good food -- and didn't even know about the smoking room!
Amsterdam dreaming.............
Dave near London

Very strongly recommended as a nice comfortable place to have a late afternoon drink and a smoke - laid back and cosy. They point you to the smoking room downstairs - and the view is indeed pleasant.
Reveen

Post by Reveen »

We ate here a few times during our last trip. Really enjoyed the BBQ burger and the fish & chips. The close proximity to Voyagers doesn't hurt either.
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

English breaky for 9.50e is better than Barneys at 15e and Stones at 9e.

The dutch breaky is only 7e and is awesome, as are the 7e nachos, they kick arse.
Amsterdam dreaming.............
Dave near London

I think I had sausage and mash ...as good as any UK pub , with the added benefit of a spliff before and after (sort of thing one dreams of over here - dream on)
treetop

Post by treetop »

Had a hankering for a bacon sarnie so popped in here. 6eu for a nice long roll with plenty of bacon. Good hearty honest pub grub. Nice place to smoke down the stairs through the bar. Got the impression there was a bit of an ex pat 'scene' in there with regulars exchanging stories about their days, glancing my way and wondering if I'd soon be joining their ranks. Looked a pretty friendly place to be fair.

Going to check it out again for something more substantial in March/April. Might be worth having a TnT there sometimes.
How much did you produce?
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

treetop wrote:Got the impression there was a bit of an ex pat 'scene' in there with regulars exchanging stories about their days, glancing my way and wondering if I'd soon be joining their ranks.
Pubguide writer, Ron hangs with a big ex-pat group, and lives around the New South area. The "Mike" mentioned in the Batavia review has achieved ex-patPlus Gold level status- he had his US citizenship revoked 8)
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

With the bitter wind chill and spitting snow over the last week, we spent a lot of time near our hotel (Doubletree) and by extension Batavia. I think we ate 4 out of 5 evening meals there.

Conclusion: I don't know how I missed Batavia previously. Comnents about the beef/La Chouffe dish are spot on. Everything we ordered was great, there is a full bar, and a smoking area downstairs.

Friendly people, too, so Batavia gets high marks in my book.
"Laif" with a long "a".
danny211204

Post by danny211204 »

thats just how i ended up eating there every nite read a post by nel about the pie it got my attention and wasnt dissapointed everything i had was top notch and the smokin room downstairs is a bonus. :mrgreen:
zz

Post by zz »

I can't say enough about this place. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. The service was not only outstanding but the staff was incredibly friendly, too. And, the icing on the cake was the smoking room. We were staying at the Doubletree, so it was also very convenient, but I would go out of my way to come here again.
Quazer

Post by Quazer »

I knew the place was smoker friendly and went a few times but never ate anything. Then one day not knowing what to eat, I ask Nel what he would recommend for eating... long story short, I followed his advice and ate there with my girl. First times were good and I was quite happy about it, but last time it was just amazing. Just had a basic burger with fries (way better than BB imo btw) and only left a few fries over. I was really happy to roll a joint while waiting for my burger. One of the best places to eat, smoke and/or drink imho.