Dutch market flooded with American fast food chains

Restaurants and takeaways.
free_phil_spector

Re: Dutch market flooded with American fast food chains

Post by free_phil_spector »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Mon 13th Mar 2017 09:16 amHate to be the bearer of bad news but ole Broodje Bert is at least temporarily on hiatus.
Tis open again now :D

It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate - it takes guts to be gentle and kind...
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

free_phil_spector wrote: Fri 31st Mar 2017 09:06 pm
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Mon 13th Mar 2017 09:16 amHate to be the bearer of bad news but ole Broodje Bert is at least temporarily on hiatus.
Tis open again now :D
The "Force" is with us!! :D :D

Any details on the changes??
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

CopenhagenCouple wrote: Fri 31st Mar 2017 11:14 am That one sad smuck from the Dunkin nuts article must be completely daft if he thinks they are the caviar of donuts​!

A Dunkin opened last year in Cph Central station and we tried it, once. It is really hard to find much worse than the shite they offer up, most bake-off sales at low cost supermarkets have better for half the price, tops.
when you have REAL bakers why would anyone want to eat this horrible excuse for a donut? It is all fat and sugar and promises to give you that sought after new american physique.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

worldcitizen1723 wrote: Sat 1st Apr 2017 02:20 am
CopenhagenCouple wrote: Fri 31st Mar 2017 11:14 am That one sad smuck from the Dunkin nuts article must be completely daft if he thinks they are the caviar of donuts​!

A Dunkin opened last year in Cph Central station and we tried it, once. It is really hard to find much worse than the shite they offer up, most bake-off sales at low cost supermarkets have better for half the price, tops.
when you have REAL bakers why would anyone want to eat this horrible excuse for a donut? It is all fat and sugar and promises to give you that sought after new american physique.
Or those desirable British teeth with all that sugar...
Waldo Swan

Post by Waldo Swan »

Dutch market flooded with American fast food chains
Ugh! Well, maybe the Dutch can start becoming as fat as Americans now. :x
I come in peace. Take me to your pizza!
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Have to admit caved and tried DD. While at home in the States and in general, I prefer Krispy Kreme, I do appreciate the fact that the Stateside ones carry Maple frosted donuts, which is one of my favorite flavors.

Also gave DD a try in Barcelona during my brief stint living there, and was not impressed with either the selection (no fucking Maple) or quality. However, it seems much like other franchises do (see Pizza Hut in China, or McDonald's in certain countries/cities), the most recent Dutch installment of DD offers superior quality to either the Spanish or US versions, and they had a much more "gourmet" feel, this is coming from someone who hails from the homeland of donuts. Case in point, I was surprisingly impressed!

Nonetheless, I'd be hard pressed to name a better donut than those from the Chick's Korean Fried Chicken & Donuts stand at de Foodhallen, R.I.P., may we meet again!
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

Five Guys is hardly "fast food".

It's a fantastic, freshly made burger. The fries are made fresh on site. It's a little pricey, but worth the splurge occasionally.
"Laif" with a long "a".
DonMarciano

Post by DonMarciano »

Lafe wrote: Thu 6th Apr 2017 03:39 am Five Guys is hardly "fast food".

It's a fantastic, freshly made burger. The fries are made fresh on site. It's a little pricey, but worth the splurge occasionally.
Is there a Five Guys in Amsterdam?
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

DonMarciano wrote: Sat 12th Aug 2017 07:48 pm
Lafe wrote: Thu 6th Apr 2017 03:39 am Five Guys is hardly "fast food".

Is there a Five Guys in Amsterdam?
I'm not aware of one, but a couple of years ago it seemed like burger joints popped up every other corner. I'm sure it will die down, though.
"Laif" with a long "a".
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Mon 3rd Apr 2017 11:35 pm Have to admit caved and tried DD. While at home in the States and in general, I prefer Krispy Kreme, I do appreciate the fact that the Stateside ones carry Maple frosted donuts, which is one of my favorite flavors.

Also gave DD a try in Barcelona during my brief stint living there, and was not impressed with either the selection (no fucking Maple) or quality. However, it seems much like other franchises do (see Pizza Hut in China, or McDonald's in certain countries/cities), the most recent Dutch installment of DD offers superior quality to either the Spanish or US versions, and they had a much more "gourmet" feel, this is coming from someone who hails from the homeland of donuts. Case in point, I was surprisingly impressed!

Nonetheless, I'd be hard pressed to name a better donut than those from the Chick's Korean Fried Chicken & Donuts stand at de Foodhallen, R.I.P., may we meet again!
It seems to me DD is a regional thing, mostly NE United States. When I travel up Boston-way, they can't get to work without driving through DD. And it seems no better than average petrol station coffee to me. The doughnuts, well, I normally don't get that stuff but it's just average at best. One could do as well at the grocery store.

I suppose you could say DD is a bit of a cult. I would expect krispy Kreme to do much better in tourist markets, particularly if the coffee were proper. A couple of hot off the belt KK is a real treat, though.

Now, if In n Out Burger came to town, that would really be something. But the real sleeper IMNSHO would be White Castle. A bag of munchie fueled sliders at 3am, now we're talking.....

Pro Tip for late night White Castle: don't get the "cheese" spread, just the plain slider. You gut will thank you in the morning. These things used to be .20 cents.

https://www.whitecastle.com/food/menu/S ... nal-Slider
"Laif" with a long "a".
DonMarciano

Post by DonMarciano »

Man! I dont know this crap and I am happy not to, it looks disgusting!
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

DonMarciano wrote: Thu 17th Aug 2017 09:12 pm
Man! I dont know this crap and I am happy not to, it looks disgusting!
ALL of those american fast food shops are crap. stay away and eat real food - which there is plenty of in Amsterdam
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

White Castle is Doctor Recommended. Just Saying :-)

Last edited by Lafe on Wed 30th Aug 2017 06:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Laif" with a long "a".
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

Lafe wrote: Wed 30th Aug 2017 04:57 pm White Castle is Doctor Recommended. Just Saying :-)
The recommending doctors are looking for business. They need the extra money to buy new Jags and to support their mistresses! :roll: