Netherlands, U.S. again negotiate American passport checkpoint at Schiphol

Getting there and getting around.
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

By Janene Pieters
January 26, 2018

A Marechaussee border agent checks a passport at Schiphol (photo: Marechaussee). A Marechaussee border agent checks a passport at Schiphol
(photo: Marechaussee)

The Netherlands restarted talks with the United States on opening an American passport checkpoint at Schiphol airport, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Justice and Security confirmed to broadcaster NOS.

The initial talks on this matter were halted by the previous Dutch government after president Donald Trump banned people from multiple Muslim countries from entering the U.S. "Measures are now being taken that we do not agree with and we pressed the pause button", the Justice State Secretary Klaas Dijkhoff said at the time.

These negotiations restarted in June, the spokesperson confirmed to NOS after the broadcaster asked about it. The talks are currently held on an official level. Politicians will become involved once there is an "official agreement", the spokesperson said. When this will happen, is not yet clear.

Having an American passport checkpoint, with American customs officers, at Schiphol will mean that people flying from Amsterdam to the United States won't have to have their passports checked again at the American airports. Prime Minister Mark Rutte previously stated that such a checkpoint at the Amsterdam airport would be good for the Dutch economy, according to NOS.

nltimes

matty223

Re: Netherlands, U.S. again negotiate American passport checkpoint at Schiphol

Post by matty223 »

I is would be great, i alwY seem to land in ny when 4-5 other international flight all arrive together making passport control a nightmare

Matty
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

matty223 wrote: Sat 27th Jan 2018 07:57 pm I is would be great, i alwY seem to land in ny when 4-5 other international flight all arrive together making passport control a nightmare

Matty

I'll just have to be a little cleaner and take my edible a little later, closure to security check in!

Still nice to get the passport check, etc. done on the front-end and not the back-end!!
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

They have it in Dublin, people joke that it's better to get refused entry on this side of the Atlantic rather than fly over and be told you're not getting in :mrgreen:
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

RoMoney wrote: Sun 28th Jan 2018 10:02 am They have it in Dublin, people joke that it's better to get refused entry on this side of the Atlantic rather than fly over and be told you're not getting in :mrgreen:
Lol that’s what I was told when I was looking into going to states, fly from Ireland as it’s not far from home WHEN they refuse you :shock: :lol:
FelicityParsons

Post by FelicityParsons »

Great news. But maybe somebody knows the result of this negotiation? I don't remember the last time I traveled, but this information can be very useful. It's very interesting how quickly the rules and laws are changing. I always like to travel, but these problems with documents annoying me. I even looked for a few tips on how to find the useful information and how do not to have problems. I also found a platform for travel lovers where I find a lot of actual information that we need for safe travel about many country.

Return to “Transport”